gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975608 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 16, 2024, 06:16 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hutch - The Anti Pro Star
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hutch - The Anti Pro Star  (Read 11497 times)

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Hutch - The Anti Pro Star
« on: February 06, 2010, 11:04 PM »
For me the bike of 83 / early 84 was the Black Hutch Pro Racer (I had a chrome one in 84 but gave it back to my sponsor for a new bike at the end of 84). Got this one back in 92 when I got back into BMX for the 2nd time as I still remembered the Hutch I had in 84 as one of the best bikes I'd rode. This then got used on trails and mini ramps for about 6 months till I realised I was gonna fook it if I kept riding the way I was so got something a bit stronger and retired this. I've been collecting parts for this build for about 5 years (probably had most of them for 4 years) but I've been dragging my heels getting the f&f painted, well that changed after Christmas when I sent it to SBD and man what a job he did I've never seen black like it  :4_17_5:. The idea was to use as many original finishes as possible and also base the bike around what I remember of bikes in 1984. Hope you like it (gonna get some better pics for BOTM when the sun shines  ::))

Frame and Forks :late 83 Hutch Pro Racer (USA made with serial number). My mate Fozzes (Brian Foster from Sunderland) from BITD.
Headset: Tange 300
Headlock: Hutch
Stem: Hutch Deep H
Bars: Hutch Pro Racer
Grips: Oakley B1-B
Brake: Dia-Compe MX900 (with centering) Tech 3 Lever Chrome
Crank: Profile Gen 3 185mm
Pedals: Hutch USA made
Chainwheel: Sugino DB Turbolite 44t
Chain: Izumi 3/32
Hubs: Hutch Mag/Ti (mine from BITD)
Rims: Araya Aero 1.75
Tyres: Comp 4 Fat/Thin
SPC: Hutch
Seat: Kashi Aero
Brake Guard: MRD (mine from BITD)
Pads: Hutch Zap (mine from BITD now a bit gold but they match the hubs real nice)
Plate: Haro Flow Plate (mine from BITD)

This is me on my Hutch in 84 (cheers to JJ for the shot leading up to the doubles, and that is JJ in the Haro gear behind me)

One of my fav pics of me from BITD on my original Hutch at Don raceways

This Hutch at Great Ayton Quarry in 92/93 ish

Cheers

Andy

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 07:03 PM by Bigplinky »
Why oh why do I still buy kids bikes!

moanjam

Re: Hutch - The Anti Pro Star
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 11:13 PM »
top skills andy , and what a bike dude  :4_17_5:

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 11:13 PM »
 8)

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 11:14 PM »
Nice ... lovin the old pics  8)

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 11:14 PM »
Top bike mate  :daumenhoch:

Love the Black , bet it will look even better when you get the outdoor pics done in the sunshine  ;)

Great build Andy   8)
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

tigerbrown

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 11:20 PM »
Fanfookingtastic :daumenhoch:

love BITD bikes and stories....

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 11:21 PM »
pukka absolute pukka and having that pic of jj behind you :)

and i'm painting one for jj as well at the mo, need more pics of the finished

build ;)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 11:36 PM by SuperBikeDan »
For powder coating drop me a pm

currio

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 11:25 PM »
Lovely bike, great build mate, even better that its yours from BITD  :daumenhoch:
Can't beat a good Hutch  :4_17_5:

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 11:26 PM »
very slick build,looks the mutts. wouldn't look out of place even if it had an OPC on it,colours wise, everything is balanced nicely.

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 11:27 PM »
Awesome looking ride Andy ... real attention to detail and spec. I can't fault it mate  :smitten:

Loving the old photos too ... the last one is very cool  :coolsmiley:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 11:39 PM »
Fookin' hell Andy , looks the bollax that does  :daumenhoch: :4_17_5:

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 11:40 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments lads you wouldn't believe how many components I've had over the years to build this with but I'm well happy with the final outcome.

I'll get more detail pics in the sunshine.

When I went to buy this bike 92 I hadn't seen Foz since 85/86 and the last time I'd seen the frame and forks it was chrome. Just knocked on his door and offered him £50 for it which he was quite happy to take. I got quite a shock when he dragged it out of his loft and it was white! The chrome had been shot blasted off and a very thick white powdercoat put on. You couldn't see the Hutch on the brake bridge or the serial number. Now if anybody is in any doubt at how much of a powder god Dan is the black is the smoothest I've ever seen and you can see the brake bridge Hutch and serial number very clearly again. The deal for the F&F was also supposed to include a set of Sugino flights which I never got so Foz if your reading this my Mam and Dad still live in the same place so feel free to drop them round  :LolLolLolLol:.

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 11:53 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments lads you wouldn't believe how many components I've had over the years to build this with but I'm well happy with the final outcome.

I'll get more detail pics in the sunshine.

When I went to buy this bike 92 I hadn't seen Foz since 85/86 and the last time I'd seen the frame and forks it was chrome. Just knocked on his door and offered him £50 for it which he was quite happy to take. I got quite a shock when he dragged it out of his loft and it was white! The chrome had been shot blasted off and a very thick white powdercoat put on. You couldn't see the Hutch on the brake bridge or the serial number. Now if anybody is in any doubt at how much of a powder god Dan is the black is the smoothest I've ever seen and you can see the brake bridge Hutch and serial number very clearly again. The deal for the F&F was also supposed to include a set of Sugino flights which I never got so Foz if your reading this my Mam and Dad still live in the same place so feel free to drop them round  :LolLolLolLol:.

great story and thanks for the thumbs up :)  when you guys are happy i know it's job done and with

a big smile :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 12:13 AM »
Superb build Andy, and great story  :4_17_5:

dct

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 12:17 AM »
that is one hell of a bike  :daumenhoch:

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 12:54 AM »
I keep coming back for another look ... can't wait for the daylight pix Andy  :coolsmiley:

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 01:00 AM »
 :4_17_5: :4_17_5: spot on andy :daumenhoch:
ding dong

mark 2

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 01:53 AM »
I got a black one too I've had for years and never got around to finishing or showing and yours is kitted out a bit better, can't compete with that. Ho hum.... :LolLolLolLol:

Looks ace, love that black / chrome and history makes it that bit more special. Tasteful scheme, quality parts, patiently built and all compromise free.

Corker! Good work Andy and of course Dan. :daumenhoch:

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 06:19 AM »

cool as feck andy, luv the jump photo  ;)  as for scd......the blokes a feckin star

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 06:35 AM »
sweetest build I have seen in ages  :4_17_5:

Dingo

neiljonarcus

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 07:26 AM »
us geordies can knock some good bikes out ... hat off to you andy that is the bollocks mate  :daumenhoch:

how long before the bmx  :police: knock at your door for painting it black   :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2010, 07:41 AM »
that is very very nice mate.   :)

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010, 08:07 AM »
The comments above really have made this worth building as they are from some of the best builders on here and TBH I was expecting more along the lines of OH NO IT'S JUST ANOTHER LOADED HUTCH so I'm feeling warm and fuzzy inside (I'll get rid of that feeling when the missus finds it in the Kitchen  ;D).

Neil I've done as much as possible to keep the BMX police at bay, the original black Hutch's were powder coated so there was no way I could have had this painted it had to be powder (got to own up the decals are repro hope people will still talk to me after that confession  :LolLolLolLol:). Another shocker Neil I'm a Makem  :shocked: can we still be friends  ;). Here's what it looked like before.

The original forks off the frame got badly bent at Washington Oval doing a 360 over the 4' spine. These are a set I got off Mightymini, they had a really weird hole in the leg which it looked like somebody had drilled to do an internal routing Job for a Potts mod but there is no brake mount hole drilled (never figured that one out), Haro JAY's mate Mick made a top job of repairing this.

Another photo of the bike from 92/93 ish been used at Great Ayton. You can see the pad set that is still on but man I wish i still had those Candy Red Woody Itson Bars

and just to prove you never get away from anybody in BMX a photo from the same session at Great Ayton. Dave Young riding, Bren Gunn, Orgasamdonor Daz (with the hair), Dave Morton and Moony in the back ground.

The bike had one OS outing to Hartlepool track in 2004 where it did handle very nicely (but got to question what I was doing putting JMC forks on it)

neiljonarcus

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 08:40 AM »
    MAKEM      :'( :P   sorry andy you can be friends with that daft moanjam but i want my jeans and cd,s back    " you a makem  i am out of hear mate  "

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:     love you long time mate  we will allways be mates i will have no where to bump my head if i stopped coming to yours mate 

neiljonarcus

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2010, 08:42 AM »
ps   before and after pictures amazing transfom   :4_17_5:   now lets see it on the doubles

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hutch - The Anti Pro Star

gfxgfx
gfx gfx