gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975602 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 10, 2024, 02:48 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Restoring Chrome by Polishing?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Restoring Chrome by Polishing?  (Read 2318 times)

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Restoring Chrome by Polishing?
« on: August 11, 2005, 04:17 PM »
I have a question I have a medium/rare frame and fork set that I want to polish, not re-chrome.

I have used some of the off-the-shelf polishes, but want a better job as they leave any small rust spots black.

Q.  Do I get a better polish or do I have take it to a profesional and get them to do it..........?

any help advice would be much appreceiated as the clock is ticking and I would really like to take this down to Bournemouth.

dan-dare

Re: Restoring Chrome by Polishing?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 05:49 PM »
Hi Dan,

I think you may struggle with this, as too much polishing and you can get down to the nickle plate. Also over polished chrome can look somewhat dull.

However good luck dude.

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 09:20 AM »
I used Autosol metal polish on a set of GT pro bars, they came up really good. It will depend on how good the chrome is, but any rust spots on mine got polished to a silver finish, so they don't really show.

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 09:51 AM »
this is what I was thinking.

I think It will just have to be the best I can do.

Cheers

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 10:14 AM »
no no no beware of autosol as yes is good but is abrasive and will take chrome down to nickel .i only use it on very rusty bits .peek is good as not abrasive and wire wool with it .i did my silver streak and it came up good . if not sure try it on a bit you will not see . 
no1stuntmaster on instagram

R Palmer

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 01:27 PM »
Try tin foil and soapy water, i find this works a treat, and leaves no scrapes.

RP

2020mad

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 03:01 PM »
I normally try soaking a cloth in coca-cola and leaving on light rust spots for about 20 mins then wipe off!   rinse well tho, this stuff is like acid if left for ages.

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 07:06 PM »
Autosol NO , to harsh and strips the chrome and polishes the nickel to almost bare metal ,great on alloy though

Peek was the best stuff i had found , untill

Wonder chrome, this stuff is so mild and it polishes very well, you get a sealer as well so the chrome stays shiny for longer ,it is great

spots of rust , i use a stanley blade to lightly rub off the rust, this works because the rust will frictionize ( SP made up word) the blade slides over the chrome, meets resistance on the rust and removes it.
carefull is the name of the game with this but it works well if applied well

Rich

R Palmer

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 02:59 PM »
I don't know how the tinfoil and soapy water works, but it does a great job.

RP

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Restoring Chrome by Polishing?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx