gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975598 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 08, 2024, 04:03 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Break set up help.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Break set up help.  (Read 809 times)

Offline Why isnt this working

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Break set up help.
« on: February 26, 2011, 05:31 PM »
All you riders will probely read this and think what the f*ck is this scroat on but heres the problem, please help the scroat......

I've only ever built carpet queens and have never in 8 years of building riden one, until tomorrow on the London ride. I've built up a TA for a rider but i'm having problems with the 901's. Im tightening the two nuts up on the front of the break to stop the breaks from wiggling about but then its to tight for the breaks to work, so I loosen it off a bit so the break works but then the nuts come loose after a ride  :-\.. Should I be putting a bit of locktight on there or something.

Si  :buck2:

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
Re: Break set up help.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 05:40 PM »
screw the inside nut up to the brake arm until it is in desired position. pull the brake a few times to check.

then hold the nut in position with a thin spanner. now screw the outer nut up to it while ensuring the back one doesnt move.

then get another spanner on the outer on and simultaneously tighten the outer nut as you try and loosen the inner one.

this will lock the to nuts together, hopefully in the right place and they shouldn't loosen or tighten.

hope that made sense.
 :daumenhoch:

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 05:56 PM »
Thanks boy's.

I have been doing the first one up to give me the desired movement then holding that with a thin spanner and tightening the outer one upto it whilst holding the inner one but it just seems to come loose again after a ride :-\ I'll pop down and give it everthing ive got to screw them into each other and see if that stops it from moving whilst riding. wondered if a bit of locktight would help it sounds like i'm not tightening hard enough into each other........ i'll pop and have a go now and let you know how it goes after another ride..... back soon.

Thanks

Si :)

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 05:58 PM »
go a bit easy,they're only alloy and might strip their threads.

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 06:29 PM »
if your only riding for one day take a brake set of another build and use them before you do any damage to these  :daumenhoch:

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 06:55 PM »
/>
May help........a bit  ???
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 08:27 PM »
F*ck me, what a palarver  :LolLolLolLol:.

After fish and chips and much fetling its sorted. Many thanks for all your help and advice ( and video clips :D ). I just needed to wind them together with a bit more welly, and luckely HUTCHMAN no stripping of the threads.

Thanks again and have a good evening boyo's

Si  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Break set up help.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx