gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975609 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 16, 2024, 08:05 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  craqnks can be pain sometimes
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: craqnks can be pain sometimes  (Read 604 times)

motomagII

craqnks can be pain sometimes
« on: July 21, 2010, 09:14 PM »
right fitted set 3 piece cranks new school jobbies with unsealed bb set got em running smooth as butter .but the bolt that hold the chaintring in place is catching on the bb cup .so removed them and added another spacer to bring the chainring out bit hey presto no rubbing but the chain is out of line with the freewheel .????
does the chainring make type effect this or is it just leave the chainring bit further out so chain alignment isnt perfect .whichj then you can hear the noise it makes when pedalling as its rubbing on the freewheel sides and chainring sides of teeth not in middle

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: craqnks can be pain sometimes
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 09:47 PM »
can you try another chain ring bolt or grind down the one you have a bit so it doesnt rub?
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

bof

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 10:19 PM »
Just file the edge off the bolt . they are always real close on american BB's . the  bolt should be domed is  yours

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 10:32 PM »
 :) You can buy spacers to space out the freewheel,usually in 1mm increments for about 30p each.They are intended for Euro bbs but are exactly the same size as the threaded part of a freewheel.

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 11:16 PM »
The type of chainwheel shouldn't affect how much the bolt protrudes (much). As said before, the bolt should be very domed on the head. On my Felt Cruiser that bolt is barely 1mm from the BB, with a very good chainline. Shame the cranks are buggered where they fit the splines  :crazy2:

crightonk

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 01:11 PM »
I machined the screw head on my kids GT to a dome shape, clears fine now ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  craqnks can be pain sometimes

gfxgfx
gfx gfx