gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975596 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 06, 2024, 11:18 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What was your local BMX shop back in the day?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What was your local BMX shop back in the day?  (Read 34519 times)

fastlane

Re: What was your local BMX shop back in the day?
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2011, 02:22 PM »
Winchester Halfords, late 70's then coming into the 80's Pete Williams Southampton, Hot Wheels Bournemouth.
Then Winchester got it's own BMX shop at the bottom of Romsey Road, this was ran by Chris Moxen and was my second home.

I spent my later school years (Bunking off) working down stairs building bikes and drinking coffe with coffee mate, Steve wright would supply the sound track to all this... Happy Days and dam I even had a fringe... The shop later became Off Beat Sports in Southampton.
Cheers

ameobic dysentry

« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2011, 06:39 PM »
Scotts Cycles, Hall Green Birmingham

simo27

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2011, 10:22 PM »
Armstrong's in Middlesbrough, he didnt get into BMX until a bit later so missed out a bit, another shop sadly long gone.

I remember this well !!! it was a family run business and the owner Colin was an ex road racer. I remember a gold Raceinc frame in the window for ages !!! On a Saturday moring it was like a meeting place. You would get up to around 30 bikes of all types outside !!! It would be great to see a pic from back in the day, most of us would go to a place nicknamed the Arty afterwards, the name was taken from Art college which was near by. Those were the good old days lol, we did have Halfords selling their own brand and Raleigh and had Bobbys cycles (still going) which was a raleigh dealership.
It was a pity Armstrongs closed, they had some quality stuff.  My best pal at work used to build bikes there when he was a student bitd, funny small world!  Bobby's is still doing ok by the looks of it, have been in recently, sell Mongoose stuff if I recall.

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2011, 05:31 PM »
Aswell as KD racing , I mention earlier ,, and the Halfords in Blackburn precinct , which had the usual , full Burner range , BH, Halfords Turbos , Team Murrays

and later stocked Falcon's , not forgetting the Halfords and Trax Pro Race/protection gear  :crazy2:  :D ,, which I bought TWICE over  :LolLolLolLol:

There was Warland cycles which Scary Leary had some shop decals made up and look cool and add an extra personal touch on his builds , they had Piranha's and Iron horse Dirt burners and again Raleigh's

Me and a mate  also used to catch the bus over to Bolton BMX centre on Tonge moor road , which also had a small advert in BMX Action bike  :)

These only had a limited stock at first , until they moved across the road to their bigger shop called MK cycles

They stocked most of the high end stuff   8) Black chrome GT's  :smitten: , PK Ripper, Curtis and best of all they had a Black Hutch Pro Racer with the chrome decals

Just amazing to look around a shop like that when my ride at the time was probably my Ammaco   :shocked: :) 

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2011, 05:35 PM »
one bus ride away from me too bolton bmx centre christian, its just that it took nearly 2hrs to get there....  still, all the way for 10p..... ;D
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2011, 05:35 PM »
Ace BMX in Henley on Thames,The BMX Pit in Reading,Hotshot in Kidlington and i always remember drooling over a rather nice Race inc in the window of Kings Moto cross in Didcot....good job i ended up with it !!!  :smitten:

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2011, 05:50 PM »
one bus ride away from me too bolton bmx centre christian, its just that it took nearly 2hrs to get there....  still, all the way for 10p..... ;D

It's still there Sammy

Just mainly roadie bikes stocked now though , I talked to the owner a couple of years ago , and told him, I was coming over here over 25 years ago  :D

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2011, 06:34 PM »
MK cycles tonge moor  :smitten: must have been around 85 ish because it was for us where it still is opposite that bloody dummy across the road with camo gear on :LolLolLolLol:
we used to ride up in droves from bury to spend our hard earned pennys, ;D  then 20 odd year passed and about 2 year ago went back and bought a mtb for work ,which was second hand but looked new a gary fisher thingy all the mods hydrolic brakes suspension etc!! haggled a while down to 300 quid from 350 ,then he told me they still sell new £699 online,bolox i thort,so i buy it any way cos it looks lush gets home gets on net and fook me hes right £699. hats of to yer mk bloody bargain :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Offline Gtbill

• Cherry Picker
  • To fast to go slow
  • Rated:
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2011, 08:11 PM »
Ashton BMX the guy who own it was called phil TOP GUY  he ran a freestyle team for a while they use to go round doing demos.
 :D
Gtbill for all your watch and Jewellery needs

m5 paul

« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2011, 09:01 PM »
I used to live in Maidstone, Kent and there were a few okish bike shops but my dad was (well is but semi retired) sales rep and used to regularly take me to OT Cycles in Dartford. Loads of lovely kit there. Can still remember walking out from there with a DP Freestyler F&F in white for £75 in the mid 80s and a suprise gift a few days later of a set of Acorn mags in white from the same place 8) .

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2011, 09:33 PM »
Armstrong's in Middlesbrough, he didnt get into BMX until a bit later so missed out a bit, another shop sadly long gone.

I remember this well !!! it was a family run business and the owner Colin was an ex road racer. I remember a gold Raceinc frame in the window for ages !!! On a Saturday moring it was like a meeting place. You would get up to around 30 bikes of all types outside !!! It would be great to see a pic from back in the day, most of us would go to a place nicknamed the Arty afterwards, the name was taken from Art college which was near by. Those were the good old days lol, we did have Halfords selling their own brand and Raleigh and had Bobbys cycles (still going) which was a raleigh dealership.
It was a pity Armstrongs closed, they had some quality stuff.  My best pal at work used to build bikes there when he was a student bitd, funny small world!  Bobby's is still doing ok by the looks of it, have been in recently, sell Mongoose stuff if I recall.

Armstrongs was a great shop, we used to get the train from Hartlepool to Smog Land to look at the quality kit. It was no different from Church Steet Cycles in Pool, but the adventure was great.

Funny thing is, when they shut the doors all the stock went over the road to the DIY/Second hand stock shop. Most of it ended up in Hartlepool :shocked:

Tuckers in Guisborough... that was a cool shop :)
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

dan-dare

« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2011, 09:56 PM »

Armstrongs was a great shop, we used to get the train from Hartlepool to Smog Land to look at the quality kit. It was no different from Church Steet Cycles in Pool, but the adventure was great.

Funny thing is, when they shut the doors all the stock went over the road to the DIY/Second hand stock shop. Most of it ended up in Hartlepool :shocked:

And don't come back.....I ffookin wont.    :fart:

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2011, 10:02 PM »

And don't come back.....I ffookin wont.    :fart:

Thraaaaaap (wet fart noise), fingers back in yoghurt ;D

dan-dare

« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2011, 10:10 PM »
auld nissans and datsuns firin up, chasin over the transporter.  :shocked:

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2011, 10:11 PM »
Scotia BMX, Iona Street, Edinburgh. Me and mate used to ride there and back most weeks from Livingston. Approx a 40 mile round trip.
On BMX's :idiot2:

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2011, 10:16 PM »

I'm off to do a few endos outside Bongo International.

lk_97

« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2011, 10:49 PM »
My mates dad owns a cycle warehouse in aylestone, not far from my house, When his grandad owned it it used to have all sorts in there back in the 80's, if only it was still there now :(

Offline bmxmatt1974

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2011, 12:14 PM »
Local bike shop was Supertune in Studley just outside Redditch. Was good as used to get a discount as my dad knew the guy who ran the shop.

Though i got my first bike straight from the guy making them, Steve Wilson. They were made just few miles from where i lived  :daumenhoch:

lk_97

« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2011, 12:57 PM »
Oh and my dad got his night burner from julies cycles leicester, and was there a bmx track near the leicester city ground? or is that western park? And another thing is There is a shop in south wigston that sells choppers,skyways and they have a re-issue pk ripper frame  :)

retrorider.u.k

« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2011, 01:30 PM »
Oh and my dad got his night burner from julies cycles leicester, and was there a bmx track near the leicester city ground? or is that western park? And another thing is There is a shop in south wigston that sells choppers,skyways and they have a re-issue pk ripper frame  :)

He should remember Speedwheels in Glenfield too...

Offline Tefore

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2011, 01:48 PM »
supertune in studley..

Offline monkeybat

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2011, 04:09 PM »
I used Radcity in the early eighties then Superbike and Hotwheels when it closed down. What a shame , i loved that place they really seemed to care.

northern dean

« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2011, 09:03 PM »
First local bike shop was kawasaki, Carlisle. A small shop that stoked all the latest parts. Through that shop i owned and rode  a Viceroy, a Dragon race frame, a Gt race frame, a Rickman freestyler and a Craig Campbell Prolite. Good memories. They sponsored a team and had a quarterpipe. The first quarterpipe i ever rode. They got out of BMX as soon as all the money left.

trickydeno

« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2011, 09:44 PM »

hi mate,the track near the city ground was twin forks.it was a cool little track with a quarter pipe aswell.spent many happy days there in the early 80's.its a housing estate now  :( i remember julies well,they were a mongoose dealer.the shop in wigston is suppose to be pretty good but not been in yet.and where was the warehouse you mention in aylestone?.....as i've lived in aylestone all my life and never heard of it?

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2011, 10:01 AM »
Was spoilt for choice in the Frimley area where I used to live. First I remember was one in Aldershot. It was there before many people knew about BMX and wasn't open long. Not sure what order they cam in but there were many others within cycling range.

Frimley green had 2 bike shops one called Camberley Cycles the other Deeks. Deeks were mainly a Raleigh stockist and didn't get too involved in BMX but Camberley cycles did but mainly sold lower end affordable stuff. They halped out the local BMX club by paying for a quarter pipe my father built.

Farnborough and Camberley had shops owned by the same person, Farnborough Cycles and Surrey Cycles. They had some nice part and bikes in. I bought most of my parts and Ripper frame from them.

Then there was Surrey Skatebords or Surrey BMX (think this is right) in Woking well known to many and probably the best shop in the area. I only got to go there on special occasions like my Birthday !

There was also Pedal Pushers in Guildford but I don't remember ever looking in there, and a few Halfords dotted around as well.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What was your local BMX shop back in the day?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx