gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975605 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 12, 2024, 09:50 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Grips question on a rider
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Grips question on a rider  (Read 321 times)

tufftimes

Grips question on a rider
« on: May 16, 2011, 11:29 PM »

Building a rider at the moment (my first build, evah), it is shaping up to be an 83 Supergoose which will be white with white brakes, chrome stem, seat post, bars and white tuffs.  It will be a custom rather than as per the factory spec (whats the word for that?).

Now somewhere in my variously bmxing and mtbing past, I rememeber we would fit clear grips and put decals (Oakley and such) on the bars underneath them, which looked pretty cool.   :coolsmiley:

Would this type of thing be period correct for circa '83?  When did clear grips first come out?  Did anyone else do this?

Any tips or opinions appreciated. 

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
Re: Grips question on a rider
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 11:36 PM »

Building a rider at the moment (my first build, evah), it is shaping up to be an 83 Supergoose which will be white with white brakes, chrome stem, seat post, bars and white tuffs.  It will be a custom rather than as per the factory spec (whats the word for that?).

Now somewhere in my variously bmxing and mtbing past, I rememeber we would fit clear grips and put decals (Oakley and such) on the bars underneath them, which looked pretty cool.   :coolsmiley:

Would this type of thing be period correct for circa '83?  When did clear grips first come out?  Did anyone else do this?

Any tips or opinions appreciated. 

Bespoke Build.
Think clear grips came out about 86 with A'me but could be wrong.
They are pretty close to the correct year for Bubble font Ames or some Oakleys that are Era correct they will cost you a lot more Mullah :daumenhoch:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 10:23 AM »
Sounds like a cool idea but I never saw that and got out originally in summer '85 when I sold my Mongoose Cali.

One thing I have learned in the last 4-odd years of building o/s is that the collars and cuffs need to match, and your grips and saddle are critical and need to match.
Still limping......

tufftimes

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 12:25 PM »
Ok well I have a white Dominator saddle already so I'll go with some white AMEs then. Pretty easy to come by and not too exxy.

I can keep the clear grip/sticker idea for another time.  Cheers fellas.

ETA:  What do you mean by "collars and cuffs" then?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 01:25 PM by tufftimes »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Grips question on a rider

gfxgfx
gfx gfx