gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975571 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 20, 2024, 11:24 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  silver streak frame resto advice/opinions
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: silver streak frame resto advice/opinions  (Read 1958 times)

Parkesst5

silver streak frame resto advice/opinions
« on: June 08, 2011, 11:11 AM »
Rad members I need some advice!

I have a survivor silver streak frame and forks that isn't too bad for rust but the Chrome is quite flakey in places.  So what do I do?  Do I risk a horror story and spend an arm and a leg at a chromers or do I powder?  I really want it Chrome is the issue.  Anybody used the Chrome powder? Is it realistic?  I should also say it will be a Sunday rider bit I still would like it looking the dogs!

Any & all comments appreciated! :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Rich

1mancity2

Re: silver streak frame resto advice/opinions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:54 PM »
The chrome powder will never look like real chrome close up but from a distance it looks the same, look on www.powderbythepound.com" (giving trade secrets away")

Here it is, http://www.powderbuythepound.com/PATENTED_ULTIMATE_CHROME.html

We use a cromadex powder product atm which is a very nice powder, clear lacquered over or you could go down the wet spray chrome road, there is one which is stunning, never used it but have seen samples.  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 12:56 PM by 1mancity2 »

Parkesst5

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 11:13 AM »
Thanks 1mancity2, much appreciated!.  I'm still at a total loss!  Anybody got any genius ideas for a custom colour?  I think first thing to do is strip the decals and give it some coke and foil loving!  Get it cleaned back as much as possible then see how bad the flaking is!

All and any opinions appreciated! 

:daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Offline lammychop

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 01:59 PM »
im in the very same boat also with a  silver  streak to be fair if its not chrome its not worth a carrot theres a red one on ebay keeps coming on for peanuts but theres been no takers i paid 60quid for the frame so if i spend 100 re chroming i guess i will proberbly get my money back for it

Clean

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 04:16 PM »
Get it chromed, mate.  :daumenhoch:

Parkesst5

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 07:05 PM »
Right having had a bit of a play with her today she is way past polishing!  Only thing to do is a re-chrome.  Checked her serial and she is a December 81 so about as old as she could be.  Anybody any ideas on cost of chroming and who is good to go to?

cheers  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Offline lammychop

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 07:13 PM »
thinks its about 100 to 120  for a frame but the jury is out on a good place i think

Clean

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 07:33 PM »
Right having had a bit of a play with her today she is way past polishing!  Only thing to do is a re-chrome.  Checked her serial and she is a December 81 so about as old as she could be.  Anybody any ideas on cost of chroming and who is good to go to?

cheers  :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

:daumenhoch:

punkdSICO

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 08:07 PM »
thinks its about 100 to 120  for a frame but the jury is out on a good place i think
I found it to be more than this.  I got 2 telephone quotes:  Old Kent Road Chromers (or whatever they are called) said about £300(!).  Hockley in South End on Sea said 120 to 160 depending on variables.  Both prices are for frame and forks.

So, as of yesterday, Hockley have my frame (plus a few other bits).  They quoted up to 3 weeks.

Both Hockley and Old Kent have lots of good reviews in here but, Hockley also have some negative reviews about quality/final price/turn around time.  If you can wait 3 weeks, you will also get my findings.

Where in the country are you?

Regarding Chrome v Painting - I would also vote for chrome.  As our restro projects get older, more and more chrome bikes are getting the white wash which looks ace but, it makes the chrome survivers stand out more and more..

Keep us updated!!

Paul

Parkesst5

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 07:32 AM »
Cheers clean and lammy!  Punkd I'm in Staffordshire and I am on no rush!  Think I'll wait for your findings :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:  this is the bike I had as a kid so its a keeper!  Been getting some local quotes between 150 & 200.  Plus I have to sneak the funds out from under her indoors nose !  So I think i'll start to look for parts whilst I'm pocketing the house keeping!  I'll be after some db bars to get chromed too so any heads up on that would be great!

1mancity2

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 07:40 AM »
Ask to see samples of their work before you hand over your frame, also I would get it chromed if your keeping it, looks the dogs when done right  :daumenhoch:

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 07:45 AM »
By the time you've paid for a re chrome and sourced all the parts  , you could bought a complete one for less .

You will get more enjoyment out of doing your own , though .

and are you doing it to factory spec or just to a spec your like ,,I wouldn't do it to how you had back then ,, they usually turn out crapper looking than you remember  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 08:01 AM »
With it being an 81 f&f, could you not have it nickel coated? Not as hard as chrome but more forgiving on scratches?

If you can wait till after MK to decide, have a look at the finish on mine, my brother's and Bobafett's Geese and Clean's DB in the flesh and decide, but I love the softer yellow shine of nickel over the sharp blue shine of chrome. Still expensive, but not quite as much and it can be polished over the years.

Just my thoughts as I've heard too many horror stories about bad chroming so make sure you know what you're getting for your money as it's not cheap!
Still limping......

smurf

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 07:19 PM »
i've had a few bits done at hockley for 1 of my leary's and to be fair for the money they've done a nice job but as with most things it depends on the condition of what you are starting with :)

Parkesst5

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 08:02 PM »
Hunterdubber Im not going for original spec but I'm certainly not going to build my old bike.  That had aero zytecs which I hated!  They did bend though :daumenhoch:  I'm thinking some custom blue decals and going similar to original but along the blue route!  Spen nickel coated??  Can I get that done?  I thought that was the first coat before Chrome?  To be honest I'm waiting to see some before and after shots here before I do anything.  I have a couple of quite rusty spots so I'm concerned I may not get a decent finish?

Offline lammychop

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 08:43 PM »
Parkesst5 do you have any pics of your frame i would like to see if its in the same state as mine

Parkesst5

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 08:03 PM »
Yep ill post some pics in the next day or so  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  silver streak frame resto advice/opinions

gfxgfx
gfx gfx