gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975602 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 11, 2024, 06:51 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Will the noughties be classed as the golden age of old school bmx restoration?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Will the noughties be classed as the golden age of old school bmx restoration?  (Read 707 times)

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
lets face it, nearly everything has been done to death now, and very few builds are anything differant than before....

so in another 20 years time the noughties could be classed as the best era of restoration...

still got a couple on the go myself though, just to keep me interested and for my own pleasure... 8)
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
restoration of OS bikes maybe

bring on the mid school revolution, then once thats died we can all restore Rooster big daddy's !!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
lets face it, nearly everything has been done to death now, and very few builds are anything differant than before....

so in another 20 years time the noughties could be classed as the best era of restoration...

still got a couple on the go myself though, just to keep me interested and for my own pleasure... 8)

Tis getting difficult to deliver an original build,but as we have seen in Bike of the month they are still out there :daumenhoch:

Most of the early stuff is still in the states,unless someone imports some it will be mainly 1980 plus for most builds,thus limiting anything really different :(

You also have the fact that people tend to build stuff they remember :)

To answer your original question ,its gonna be hard to top.

lk_97

You rarely see a late 80's freestyle build, I don't want mid school bikes to be popular though, starting to get dear already....

VWmk2

I may be picking up a late 80's redline at the end of the week that I'm thinking of freestyling  :daumenhoch:

deeman

Its only natural that mid school stuff will become more expensive as people grow older and want a piece of their childhood back!

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
mid skool stuff is harder to find anyway as lack of it sold bitd
no1stuntmaster on instagram

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:

Will the noughties be classed as the golden age of old school bmx restoration?

Maybe the birth of ? don't onow about the golden age Sam  ???

You're done with it and it shows with thread, so maybe personally for you  :)

but the  scene is now massive globally , so there will be lifers and progression within the hobby to ride and collect bikes from different eras as time time goes on

I expect you've  done all the bikes you have a connection with 80 > 85

(Riding /racing would mix it up a bit for you and introduce interest to a different era, but I know you don't fancy it  :-\ )

When you pack it in , there will be collectors  doing the same bikes as you've done and others

I think a broader more varied "Golden" age is to come

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
They'll only ever be one true old school era in my eyes.
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
They'll only ever be one true old school era in my eyes.

Exactly Andy  :daumenhoch:  :4_17_5:

Our connection is with the eighties era  :smitten:

One of the young  plumbers at work used to ride in the late nineties ( about 11 years old) and I reckon in another ten years or so , his Old school era will come alive

Plus BMX street , Park and race are massive now all the current  kids WILL eventually , maybe in 20 years from now will want bikes from  
2005 to 2015

At that time ome of these new collectors will want older bikes from the 70's, 80's and 90's too,,, as they will appreciate the true roots of BMX

You notice  this pattern  in all collecting hobbies , from Cars to model trains  :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 11:58 PM by Hunterdubber »

Rodgy1970

I think building might go in a different direction similar to the way it went with the BMX society crowd, survivor builds with unrestored parts, you can get unrestored parts from the states but getting hold of used parts here can be a bit of a nightmare with people hoarding to restore or at worst polish the fook out of them.

I started off wanting to build a BITD bike, I haven't got it together yet as I keep changing direction possibly in search of originality which I'm probably never going to achieve so should just pull my finger out and get it built.

lk_97

I guess we can hope to find a few warehouses full of it then :)

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:

They scrapped quite a lot of it.......although having a wander round places like BMX City would make my year :)
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

SaMAlex

No chance (Id say). If you look at the people who were importing (the now collectible) bikes in the 90s it was tiny companies like backyard/seventies & Custom riders. They only bought in a hand full at a time and Im sure they all got sold. It wasnt like the 80s where people like shiner were bringing in containers full of SE and HUTCH stuff. It just wasnt happening.

OK, shiner did bring in loads of complete Haro bikes. Ive seen the warehouse pics of them all stacked up, still in the boxes. But from what people say, there is much more in shiner to get worked up about.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Will the noughties be classed as the golden age of old school bmx restoration?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx