gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975562 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 14, 2024, 08:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Little restoration of my new buy: Yamaha BYZ 401! (From Italy!)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Little restoration of my new buy: Yamaha BYZ 401! (From Italy!)  (Read 7673 times)

Kaba

Hi guys! I have found this awesome bike in a vintage store near my city... I buy it sunday for 20 € in good but old condition!

I am only 15 years old but i have a big passion for bike like old bmx, old crossbikes and old race bikes!

Now a look of the new found: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/29112011178.jpg

So we have: broken seat, a broken grip, ugly and broken pedals and not original crank.

i started the restoration by removing the few parts: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/29112011189.jpg

(The crank is to expensive for me so i decided to keep it because haven't problems)

and now a little photo with other pieces waiting for the new other: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/710/38055422508950776261405.jpg

Only waiting for pieces!:

nice race bike seat and new perfect grips!

Sorry for my bad english but i have only 15 years!

Few domands:

The Yamaha BYZ 401 was imported into italy?

How much of this type of bike were produced?

Someone who could help me find the original pieces?

Thank a lot to all! bye! :D

« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 06:14 PM by Kaba »

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
BANNED

deeman

Re: Little restoration of my new buy: Yamaha BYZ 401! (From Italy!)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 12:37 AM »
have a look in the museum,ultrasham241 restored a beautiful one of these!He is a YAMAHA expert! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:21 AM by deeman »

lk_97

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 08:14 AM »
Looks like a good project :daumenhoch:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:

Kaba

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 11:10 AM »
Thanks a lot! Today i have taken a little seat similar the original with padding and kevlar (Original for race bikes). (Donated by a friend!)

Knobs are in shipping ( 2-3 days) red and white chessboard on they... perfect with the rest of the bike

So now I begin to clean and lubrificate all the bike and waiting for the knobs...

I've already seen the photos of the others 401 but they are too perfect for me! I want only a little restauration no more... the old and used beauty is the best!

Nothing special... Only a small restoration for a rare bike!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:28 AM by Kaba »

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 11:39 AM »
Hi Kaba , welcome to RAD  :daumenhoch:

Your English is better than my Italian  :-[

Good to see a young one getting involved with the old BMX's , looks like a nice little project you have on the go  8)  A bargain at 20 euro's too  :shocked:

Ciao  :)

WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Kaba

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 07:27 AM »

Your English is better than my Italian  :-[

Good to see a young one getting involved with the old BMX's , looks like a nice little project you have on the go  8)  A bargain at 20 euro's too  :shocked:

Ciao  :)

i love the world of bikes... especially crossbike and bmx... I am really lucky with this type of business ( a race bike expensive here (300 €) i buy it for only 40 €!)
This is one of the most beautiful project I've ever had because here it's very rare to have an old rare bmx who has 30 years! and then in almost perfect condition!!

So now i fit the seat... Today I think I go to take the knobs (I hope what I ordered because they have a beautiful old school style!) and finally find 2 pedals and perhaps a crank...

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 08:05 AM »
good for you kaba!     :4_17_5:
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

rad_pitt

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 01:16 PM »

So now I begin to clean and lubrificate all the bike and waiting for the knobs...

:shocked:

Your English is great, but that line made me laugh  :LolLolLolLol:

Kaba, you have found a great bike here my friend! Looking forward to see what you do with it  :4_17_5: keep us updated with how you get on  :)

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 09:15 AM »
Kaba

Great find with the Yamaha BYZ401, it is great for Ultrasham and myself to have another Yamaha owner on site as we were getting lonely as the only 2.

If you look at my bike in the museum then it has all the original parts on it (except for tyres and grips).  That will give you an idea of what parts you should be looking for.

Offline Robbo

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 09:18 AM »
a broken knob

At 15? to much tommy tanking mate!  :2funny:

Nice bike, welcome to rad.  :daumenhoch:

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 11:48 AM »

Your English is better than my English  :-[

;D
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Kaba

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 09:26 PM »
Kaba

Great find with the Yamaha BYZ401, it is great for Ultrasham and myself to have another Yamaha owner on site as we were getting lonely as the only 2.

If you look at my bike in the museum then it has all the original parts on it (except for tyres and grips).  That will give you an idea of what parts you should be looking for.

Thanks to all (even for those who enjoy my English!!)  :tickedoff:

Stidds,I've seen your bike but the problem is to find the original parts! it's really hard to find a complete crank for this bike identical or similar to the original...

The other parts aren't a problem because are in good condition or I can find them near me... So now the problem is: Where i can find a cheaper crank?

you have a very nice bike (nothing comparable to my) is perfect in all the parts! Very good job!

Bye! :D

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • funny you should say that..
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 10:02 PM »
Nice!! Bmx is the cougar of bikes.. :daumenhoch:
Griff loves BUM..

Kaba

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 10:16 PM »
New photo! Knobs are ready for tomorrow!

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 10:21 PM »
Kaba

Your current crank will probably have a square taper bottom bracket so search ebay for vintage crankset or vintage chainset (they will all use the square taper bottom bracket you have) and then find one you like the look of and can afford, my crank is powdercoated red not anodised so if you want red spray (or powdercoat) it

Like these for example...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-BICYCLE-Classic-STRONGLIGHT-CHAINSET-42-52T-/320802045189?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item4ab14abd05

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APEX-SR-Alloy-Cranks-170-mm-50-tooth-and-40-tooth-rings-Vintage-Retro-/230711565252?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item35b77b1bc4

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Claud-butler-legend-90s-SR-APEX-Vintage-Crank-set-46-36-tooth-170-arms-/330648423858?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item4cfc2e8db2

jp-rebel

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 10:49 AM »
That is a great find and fantastic price!well done  8) is there much of an an old school scene in Italy? any forums etc?.
Your English is really good as most us Brits struggle with one language,little tip though if you ever visit the U.K dont go into a Bike shop asking for a new knob as yours is broken.

Kaba

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2011, 06:11 PM »
Stidds you have a image for the decals? i need a image for prepare the decal because in internet are all inclined!

New GRIPS (no knobs!!) <.<

Stidds, Now I ask my friend if he has a crank of a old race bike... i hate search on another state because shipping cost too much (for pedals and frame/handlebar pad 20 $!!!)

« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 06:22 PM by Kaba »

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 12:19 AM »
Kaba

I made the decals myself, so no scans I can take some pictures if you want me to.

As for cranks, off of an old race bike should fit.  That is what we all used bitd.

Kaba

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 03:12 PM »
Kaba

I made the decals myself, so no scans I can take some pictures if you want me to.

As for cranks, off of an old race bike should fit.  That is what we all used bitd.

ok i made 50% of the decals myself.... now i wait only for the crank! ;)

thanks a lot stidds!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Little restoration of my new buy: Yamaha BYZ 401! (From Italy!)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx