gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975565 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 16, 2024, 10:21 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  NOW IT'S WINDING ME UP A FECKING TREAT **********
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: NOW IT'S WINDING ME UP A FECKING TREAT **********  (Read 11668 times)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: NOW IT'S WINDING ME UP A FECKING TREAT **********
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 01:22 PM »
That grease mark is still lower than i would run it to be honest and i'd say definately the reason why the original bolt sheered the nut out of the star nut

if you're itching to ride it, lose the gyro and go single cable  :daumenhoch:

SaMAlex

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 01:25 PM »
if you're itching to ride it, lose the gyro and go single cable  :daumenhoch:

With a single linear cable you can still spin the bars once. Gyros are always a bit of a pain, and added hassle to set up.
Keep it simple for now and upgrade to a gyro later if you want.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 01:26 PM »
what Alex says  :daumenhoch:

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 01:29 PM »
right before i go the pickle route

fork in the road time

any one else have a idea/ see if it can work with a flatter plate ?

if i go single cable / lever - what is good out there - and would it be just a cable /lever and what else for this set up and then is it just cable ties with cable to frame - cable to stradle ?
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 01:34 PM »
Just get a Vocal linear cable, same as the dearer ones but only about a fiver  :daumenhoch:

why do you need a new lever?  is yours an oddy one which the two cables go into?

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 01:47 PM »
You can't realistically run a gyro with a steerer that short looking at it again  :( run a normal cable or get some new forks if You're set on having One, even better get some new forks with brake mounts, Two brakes double the fun!  :daumenhoch:
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 01:54 PM »
Bendy - get yourself a traditional top gyro hanger and a selection of loose spacers. Assemble everything and experiment with spacers until you find a happy balance between the amount of clearance the gyro needs to work without hitting the underside of the stem and the amount of stem you have protruding above the steerer. Be aware you MUST have some gap between stem and steerer so you can accurately adjust your headset. I'd say 5mm there or thereabouts.

As others have said, gyros are fussy things to own. But if you're like me and just love the gadget aspect, don't worry, between us all we can get that bike dialled in.

A top load stem & a Vocal stepped gyro plate would sort your gyro clearance issues out without going to the expense of new forks if it continues to be a pain in the arse.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 01:56 PM »
Sorry Fugazi - didn't mean to fully contradict you there, I was super slow replying and yours went in first...

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 02:03 PM »
ok so just reading all and weigh up every thing

Christ knows how they ran it like this and got away with it  :idiot2: and lucky Jim didn't go for a Burton

i can get the gyro down to 5mm - but is it now to far gone with thoughts for this option ?

yes it's the twin barrel lever

so what good and cool in levers - cables - any other bits i need ?

like the look of the eclat lever
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline Discostu

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 02:05 PM »
I have never had a problem with a gyro. Once you know how to dial them in they are very easy to fit. And work really well. The top tip is to remove the cables from the bike and squirt as much wd40 down the wire into the plastic sleeve as possible on the sections you can't remove the inner from the outer. And on the lower one remove the bottom outer and squirt it all over the inner and down the outer. Then fit them with the adjusters screwed in. Fit the top first. You want to get the gyro as close to the bottom plate as possible. So it has a greater amount of movement. Adjust the two adjustment screws in the top plate to take out any cable slack. Then hold the gyro and pull the lever. If it hits the bottom of the adjusters in the top plate the adjusters may need to be adjusted some more. But leave that alone until the bottom cable has been fitted as you may have enough travel in the gyro already for the pads to touch the rim.
Then after lubeing the lower cable fit it with the bottom adjuster screws wound in until they just touch the bottom of the gyro. If it has a good amount of travel the gyro will be sitting on the bottom plate and the bottom adjuster screws will be wound out nearly all the way. Then feed your cable into your brake if it's a pitbull for instance and adjust it up so the pads hit the rim when the lever is pulled. Or for a u brake you can adjust it at the centre pull or at the connecting cable between the two arms. You should now have a working gyro and brake. I find it easier to dial in a gyro as it has so many areas that you can adjust to get a good braking system. Saying it is worse than a standard cable and lever is a bit of a myth. Usually started by people that haven't fitted them correctly. And then poo poo'ed them as being crap. It's a shame really. :)

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012, 02:05 PM »
all info is welcome - it might take me a little time to work things out and understand  :crazy2:  as i know you lot can see in your how it works but dumb Bendy can't  ;D

SaMAlex

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 02:06 PM »
A top load stem & a Vocal stepped gyro plate would sort your gyro clearance issues

http://www.liferbmx.co.uk/store/vocal-rise-alloy-gyro-plate-black-p-5366.html

:daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

yes it's the twin barrel lever

like the look of the eclat lever

You can still run a single cable in the oddy twin cable lever. You might need the ferrel that comes with the lever, but I bet someone has one.

I found the Eclat Levers a bit short

SaMAlex

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2012, 02:09 PM »
I find it easier to dial in a gyro as it has so many areas that you can adjust to get a good braking system. Saying it is worse than a standard cable and lever is a bit of a myth. Usually started by people that haven't fitted them correctly. And then poo poo'ed them as being crap. It's a shame really. :)

I think a well set up Gyro DOES work and feel better than a straight cable, but they ARE more hassle to fit, no question.
And lets face it, fitting a clamp on stem isnt that hard, and that's taken 2 pages so far  ;) ;D

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2012, 02:09 PM »
Sorry Fugazi - didn't mean to fully contradict you there, I was super slow replying and yours went in first...

Hey no problem Rob, the more advice He can get the better I think  :daumenhoch:

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2012, 02:12 PM »
I've got One of those Vocal stepped top plates & the gyro will still hit on the lower part of it, I found it's just better at getting some of the slack out of standard type cables.

Offline Discostu

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2012, 02:13 PM »
Alex.  :LolLolLolLol:

Maybe if we give bendy any more advise it might make 3 pages. And poor bendys brain will burst with all this info.
I bet he wished he'd never asked!  :2funny: :daumenhoch:

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2012, 02:16 PM »
two pages and we have only just started  ;D

it's not easy when you don't have peeps right next to you and see what you are looking at - explaining it right under you nose and seeing it for real

so if i cut the plate down to 5mm - is it the ammout of distance between the palte and the pull up part that has to be close or further away ~ as in the last plate link put up ?

i do find that the lever on there at the mo is a bit short in arm length - below is the one i have

https://www.customriders.com/prodshow.asp?prodid=7947&cat=27&parent=1001&sid=3

Offline Discostu

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2012, 02:17 PM »
Anyway bendy if you want that plate. Pm me your address and I will post it to you. I'm going to the post office in the next hour. Cheers stu :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2012, 02:20 PM »
Tech 77 lever, they are cheap and just work  :daumenhoch:

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2012, 02:21 PM »
 :D :crazy2: :uglystupid2:  i don't know what i want  ???

it's the fork in the road

so thinner plate or not - please all let me know as i don't know weather to change set up of if the old way will work with new plate

i need food as i'm feeling weak now  :-[ ;D

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2012, 02:22 PM »
sorry rob not a big fan of the look

had a trigger on a GT and liked the fact that it help with a bit more grip

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2012, 02:24 PM »
Right, let's nail it down.

Oddy Medium lever. Very few people like the small.

Skinnier top plate will allow you to faf around with spacers as I mentioned.

Offline Discostu

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2012, 02:27 PM »
Put your old gyro plate on with the top cable screwed in place. Fit the cables into the gyro and pull the lever to see how much the gyro travels up. That is the minimum distance you need between the gyro and the top plate. In fact on yours just turn the top plate upside down as that would be roughly the same place as my flat plate would sit. Then pull the brake. If the gyro. When pulled hits the top plate  before the brakes hit the rim it is not good. Your next step is to adjust the brake closer to the rim. If you can get the brake to work without the gyro hitting the top plate then you know my flat plate should work.  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 02:31 PM by discostu »

SaMAlex

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2012, 02:33 PM »
Oddy Medium lever. Very few people like the small.

Skinnier top plate will allow you to faf around with spacers as I mentioned.

Totally agree that the small oddy lever is crap, and the medium lever is great

Rob, have you looked at how little fork tube there is there? I dont think you'll have room for ANY spacers, even with a thin gyro plate  ???

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2012, 02:37 PM »
i'd get the dremmel out or axe saw and saw the bottom off the plate you got till you was happy you had enough space to fit your stem safe.
dave the bmxing gypo

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  NOW IT'S WINDING ME UP A FECKING TREAT **********

gfxgfx
gfx gfx