gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975573 Posts in 138925 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 21, 2024, 07:31 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Falcon Pro Aero Flyer (UPDATE: Photographic Evidence; It Works!)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Falcon Pro Aero Flyer (UPDATE: Photographic Evidence; It Works!)  (Read 46296 times)

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
Re: Falcon Pro Aero Flyer (UPDATE: Going for more red and blue!)
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2012, 10:40 PM »
YES YES YES !

Loving it, those pedals look awesome, slap on the grips on the alternate sides and its going to look fooking blinding, really excited to see this finished
The blue grips are on the way (along with a couple of other bits!). Can't wait to see it finished either! :daumenhoch:
The big question is are you going to butcher two chains together to make a dual coloured one!!

renegaderacer

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2012, 12:06 AM »
YES YES YES !

Loving it, those pedals look awesome, slap on the grips on the alternate sides and its going to look fooking blinding, really excited to see this finished
The blue grips are on the way (along with a couple of other bits!). Can't wait to see it finished either! :daumenhoch:
The big question is are you going to butcher two chains together to make a dual coloured one!!
Now that would be telling! ;)

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 09:23 AM »
YES YES YES !

Now that would be telling! ;)
:daumenhoch:

renegaderacer

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012, 12:35 AM »
Had a little play around with the chain today and tried it with the white-wall and the grey tyre and have decided to go with the grey for now but who knows what'll look best once she's finished!  :daumenhoch:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
Re: Falcon Pro Aero Flyer (UPDATE: Tyres Changed and Chain on!)
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 06:34 AM »
Cracking  :coolsmiley:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2012, 09:33 AM »
Hmmmmmm honestly?   ???

renegaderacer

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2012, 09:55 AM »
Hmmmmmm honestly?   ???

Well, I knew it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea!  :LolLolLolLol:

Would I have done this on a top end resto? No, probably not.

But this is a cheapo (relatively speaking) build that's meant to be fun to build and will put a smile on my face everytime I get it out and ride it.  :daumenhoch:

Yes, it might be a bit OTT or tacky but it's a laugh and that's what BMXing's about, isn't it?  ;)

I have a feeling this bike's going to get a lot worse before it's finished too!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2012, 10:04 AM »
Hmmmmmm honestly?   ???

you miserable toad  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2012, 10:36 AM »
do the bike as you like but sticking some gumwall/skinwll black comp III's on it and it will look a 10000% better  :daumenhoch:

renegaderacer

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2012, 11:10 AM »
I think I'm going to still be deciding the colours of the tyres long after I've chosen the colours for the rest of the bike!  :LolLolLolLol:

renegaderacer

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2012, 02:33 AM »
Got some more bits through tonight.

Got my bars which means I can build the bike now! They're in nice survivor condition which suits the frame perfectly.
I de-rusted them with coke and foil and polished them up with a dash of Peek.
The seller thinks they are GT Pro bars he had on his Rickman Freestyler; any ideas? They're chrome, unstamped and around 28 inches wide.

The right lever was damaged on the top and touched in and I could've left it like that but have decided to restore it.

First, I filed down the damage...

....then I rubbed it down with upto 2500 wet and dry to get a nice mirror finish. I've ordered some VHT anodized red paint to try out.

Ok; even I admit this was too OTT!  :LolLolLolLol:

I settled for one in the end...

Just got to wait for the seat to eventually arrive from the Bay and I can get her to riding level, then wait for my pads from Firebird Steve and she's sorted!  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:00 AM by renegaderacer »

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Falcon Pro Aero Flyer (UPDATE: More bits arrived; nearly there!)
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2012, 02:38 AM »
seatclamps is hardcore !!  :daumenhoch:

love this bike!!

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2012, 06:36 AM »
well.. if you are gonna go for it GO FOR IT. I love those ol'grey tyres against the chrome.

You're missing a trick though by not having a different coloured brake block either side  :daumenhoch:

or a red brake on the back  :)

But... why is it in Old School Freestyle?  :police:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2012, 06:45 AM »
id be tempted to mix the chain up a bit ! red blue red blue red blue etc etc 

renegaderacer

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2012, 07:58 AM »
seatclamps is hardcore !!  :daumenhoch:

love this bike!!
:daumenhoch:

well.. if you are gonna go for it GO FOR IT. I love those ol'grey tyres against the chrome.

You're missing a trick though by not having a different coloured brake block either side  :daumenhoch:

or a red brake on the back  :)

But... why is it in Old School Freestyle?  :police:
No, I haven't missed a trick; the red caliper hasn't turned up yet!  :LolLolLolLol:

.....and it's in Old School Freestyle as it's an old school frame and forks made up with old school parts, either used, NOS or repop/repro, in the style of a freestyle bike with my own little twist and it doesn't fit in Mid School, New School or Race!  :daumenhoch:

It's never going to conform completely to anything to be honest. If they had a 'Bitsa' class I'm sure it would fit right in!  ;)

id be tempted to mix the chain up a bit ! red blue red blue red blue etc etc 
I thought about that but my chain tool is such a pain in the butt to use, I couldn't bare thinking about it! :LolLolLolLol:

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2012, 08:14 AM »

.....and it's in Old School Freestyle as it's an old school frame and forks made up with old school parts, either used, NOS or repop/repro, in the style of a freestyle bike with my own little twist and it doesn't fit in Mid School, New School or Race!  :daumenhoch:

Fair enough ...  ;D

Interesting discussion as to what makes something a freesstyle bike as opposed to a street or race bike?

Inverted front brake? hollow stem bolt? rotor? coaster brake? who knows  :angel:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

renegaderacer

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2012, 08:34 AM »
I see where you're coming from.

If it had been a quality race f+f I'd picked up, then it would be a race bike now.  ;)

However, this is more like the bike I'd have had and I'm sure you know you used them for everything and so it should be an all-rounder really.

While I like a good race bike, I'm a freestyler at heart so thought I'd make this into a useable, old school freestyle bike....oh, and I had a load of freestyle parts left over from the Badlander build!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2012, 08:46 AM »
Dude, I would have defo gone with the crazy chain effect too  :daumenhoch: I have a chain tool if you want to borrow it  :coolsmiley:

Maybe you could also get Sawzall to split the MX clamps and join them both as half and half??  Red/blue??  Worth a shot??

Looking cool though but unsure on the tyre choices  :-\  Would maybe look to go with something else in the Panaracer colour range??
BANNED

renegaderacer

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2012, 08:59 AM »
Dude, I would have defo gone with the crazy chain effect too  :daumenhoch: I have a chain tool if you want to borrow it  :coolsmiley:

Maybe you could also get Sawzall to split the MX clamps and join them both as half and half??  Red/blue??  Worth a shot??

Looking cool though but unsure on the tyre choices  :-\  Would maybe look to go with something else in the Panaracer colour range??
Cheers Terry,
I'll think about the chain!  ;)

I have thought about the seat clamp and reckon it'd look cool but if I split it I don't have a new pin to replace it.  :-\ Maybe if Sawzall can do it, he could get a new pin too?

I think the tyres are going to cause the biggest split of opinions here but I'm just trying it out like this. The grey really suits the chrome but if I had those wheels on any other coloured bike, I'd definately put the whitewalls on!  8)

deeman

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2012, 06:40 PM »
Man i love this more every time i see it.Its really turning out the nuts!i think the grey tyre choice is bang on and obviously neutral,i think coloured tyres,especially odd ones would make it all a bit too busy!I'm loving Terry's idea about the seatclamp,if sawsall cant help it may be worth a pm to Steve (ANIMAL) to sort the pin out,shouldn't be too much aggro and will look ace!I also think the chain with alternate links would look the nuts too,time consuming but worth the end result.i think the definition of a freestyle bike should be 'a bike intended for freestyle use' as this clearly is as it has a rotor,potts mod etc.loadsa people used to freestyle on rippers etc bitd :daumenhoch:

renegaderacer

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2012, 07:08 PM »
Man i love this more every time i see it.Its really turning out the nuts!i think the grey tyre choice is bang on and obviously neutral,i think coloured tyres,especially odd ones would make it all a bit too busy!I'm loving Terry's idea about the seatclamp,if sawsall cant help it may be worth a pm to Steve (ANIMAL) to sort the pin out,shouldn't be too much aggro and will look ace!I also think the chain with alternate links would look the nuts too,time consuming but worth the end result.i think the definition of a freestyle bike should be 'a bike intended for freestyle use' as this clearly is as it has a rotor,potts mod etc.loadsa people used to freestyle on rippers etc bitd :daumenhoch:
Cheers dude! :daumenhoch:

I've PM'd Sawzall to see if he can help but I'll give Steve a buzz too, just in case.

I'm stilll  thinking about the chain. I might be able to come to some happy medium. The only trouble with doing all of them is my chain tool scratches the links and it would look a right mess. Perhaps if Terry's one's better though....... ;)

Just got a red caliper through today which will be stripped and sanded smooth tonight ready for my VHT anodize paint to arrive tomorrow!  :daumenhoch:

Best get off to Sainsbury's to get myself some Oven Pride!  ;D

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2012, 08:23 PM »
This is looking better than i imagined fella. I've always wanted to do a build like this, but having to buy two of everything is way too costly.

Gotta agree with everyone above, get the seatclamp split and repinned half and half. Are you going to do do 50/50 red blue calipers as well or a red front and blue rear

renegaderacer

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2012, 02:03 AM »
This is looking better than i imagined fella. I've always wanted to do a build like this, but having to buy two of everything is way too costly.

Gotta agree with everyone above, get the seatclamp split and repinned half and half. Are you going to do do 50/50 red blue calipers as well or a red front and blue rear
Cheers Dude!  :daumenhoch:

The seatclamp is going to get done as soon as I can sought out a new pin.

I'm hopefully re-doing another caliper I stripped down tonight in anodised red tomorrow and it is going to be a 50/50 split. ;)

renegaderacer

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2012, 07:52 AM »
I got another Raleigh caliper from the Bay yesterday in red and I wasn't originally going to touch it but as I was re-doing the lever I thought I may as well kill two birds with one stone!

It looked fairly neat for an old caliper when it first arrived

On closer inspection, there was a gash about 1mm deep which doesn't show up very well in my cr@p pics

I decided to go the Oven Pride route after reading up on here, so took a trip to Sainsburys and picked some up for a bargain £4 and got my bits ready

I put them in a sandwich bag instead of the massive bag provided with the cleaner. I then poured in enough to cover the parts and sealed it up. Within seconds you could see the colour coming off the calipers.

Within a couple of minutes they were stripped.

The lever took longer as it's thicker anodising although within 5 mins that was done too. Note how Oven Pride doesn't shift the paint used to touch in scratches. I'd have to shift that the old fashioned way!  :LolLolLolLol:

I then used a small file and nine grades of wet and dry to get everything smooth and relatively shiney. This VHT Anodizing Paint works best on shiney metal rather than a keyed surface.

They look better than the poor camera phone shots taken in the early hours suggest!  :LolLolLolLol:
I couldn't get all the marks out as some were just too deep and some of the engraving is so shallow I couldn't rub it down that hard but it's a damn sight better than it was!  ;)

Hopefully tonight I'll be able to spray them and see if I can get anywhere near the anodised original finish.  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:27 AM by renegaderacer »

deeman

Re: Falcon Pro Aero Flyer (UPDATE: Renovating the brakes)
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2012, 02:26 PM »
I'm keen to see the results of this paint! :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Falcon Pro Aero Flyer (UPDATE: Photographic Evidence; It Works!)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx