gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975608 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 15, 2024, 10:17 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rickman Freestyler Really, Actually Finally FINISHED!!! (honestly!!) 08/04/2013
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Rickman Freestyler Really, Actually Finally FINISHED!!! (honestly!!) 08/04/2013  (Read 10490 times)

Offline Julian347

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Rickman Freestyler FINISHED!!! 05/12/2012
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2012, 03:17 PM »
Looking forward to seeing this for real on Sunday.  :daumenhoch:

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2012, 09:32 PM »
That looks awesome,kind of looks like a satin instead of chrome :daumenhoch:

Offline Darren KAP

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2012, 09:55 PM »

Love the finished look  :4_17_5:
Life .......... Your here for a good time not a long time

Offline mattbloke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: Rickman Freestyler REALLY ACTUALLY FINALLY FINISHED!!! 08/04/2013
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2013, 03:59 PM »
well! 4 months after i thought i finished it, i have now REALLY finished it! (honest!)

changes since the last time i finished it are:

black 880/901 and cables replaced with full white 880/901 and tech 5's set up with cables to tie in the white AME's and dominator seat.

bendycat Tuff neck style stem in raw finish with potts mod to replace the white race redline forklifter (gold and black tuffneck sticker to match braising and gold details)

Tuf neck chain ring instead of the ammaco to show off the powerdisc properly

raw finish forks to replace the chrome ones so that they match the frame and the bars properly (with DEL decals)

and last but not least, a proper wheel set built by me! proclass modded araya 7X with hi flange sealed JOY hubs, stainless spokes and gold nipples.
oh and gold rim tape.

hope you guys like the finished result as much as i do  :daumenhoch:

before:

and now  :smitten:

dannyrobo2012

looks awesome that does  :daumenhoch:

RL Paulie

Why oh why would you ever "smooth out" those beautiful weld beads?
I can't believe y'all approve of that. Really?
I banged my my head against my desk when I saw that first pic.

Offline mattbloke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:

the welds are not  smoothed down at all fella, they are exactly as they were under the paint. they have a coat of clear lacquer over them that makes them look smoother. the whole point was to show the craftsmanship, not ruin it. so put your trousers back on  :daumenhoch:  :-*

Offline popedante

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:

the welds are not  smoothed down at all fella, they are exactly as they were under the paint. they have a coat of clear lacquer over them that makes them look smoother. the whole point was to show the craftsmanship, not ruin it. so put your trousers back on  :daumenhoch:  :-*

as mattbloke has said , not smoothed out as this isnt welded , its braised , its a different process....

RL Paulie

as mattbloke has said , not smoothed out as this isnt welded , its braised , its a different process....

My apologies. I should have read the thread instead of posting that hasty reply after just looking at the pictures. This pic in particular made it look to me that you ground down the welds and put in some filler material...

Brazed, not welded that's interesting. Do / did these frames hold up to some abuse?

Offline mattbloke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
now that your trousers are back on ;) braising unlike tig welding, dosent super heat the metal at the join. with a TiG welded frame, if it snaps its always either side of the weld, not  the weld itself as the welding makes the tubing so hot that it actually changes the properties of the tubing. Braising is a much lower temperature, and dosnt change the materials structure. The braise also has some flex in it, the the joint will not just snap. if it does fail, its the braise itself that snaps which can then be simply melted off and re done. the real craftsmanship is UNDER the braising as the joint has to be perfectly fitted without gaps. hence why all braised items are truly hand made.

Offline popedante

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
you were right to clearcoat it , its foookin lovely  :smitten:

Offline Wez

• Look Back
  • What's Happenin' Derek ???
  • Rated:
superb rescue and build...  :daumenhoch:

this does make me want a twin tube in the line up...

hmmm now what would be a good TT ?

A Torker LPX maybe  ;D

^"^
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 08:56 PM by Wez »
WANTED: Orphan Early 80's Front Skyway Graphite 8)

deeman

Yes Matt!I loved this build before and did not think it could be improved upon much but you have done a great job with those tweaks-subtle but very effective!The power disc and ring looks waaaay better!the wheels are the titties! I am still making tweaks to the PR a year after I thought it was finished,results soon!! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:34 PM by deeman »

chubby

somehow missed this one till now  :crazy2:. what a cracking build fella, Im diggin the rawness of it, looks super cool too........
top top job

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rickman Freestyler Really, Actually Finally FINISHED!!! (honestly!!) 08/04/2013

gfxgfx
gfx gfx