gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975597 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 07, 2024, 07:44 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  The cost of buying from the states.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The cost of buying from the states.  (Read 339 times)

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
The cost of buying from the states.
« on: February 26, 2013, 11:05 AM »
With the Pound so weak against the Dollar at the mo and the US postage charges going through the roof has the tipping point been reached for buying all but the rarest stuff from the states do we recon?
Ah those happy days a few years back when it was over $2 to the pound  :smitten:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
Re: The cost of buying from the states.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 11:41 AM »
Swings & roundabouts...!

There will always be bargains though...

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 03:12 PM »
When buying from there at the moment just think of it like this.
What ever the item costs in dollars, then add the postage plus the tax comes to roughly, when converted into pounds close to the figure the item initially cost in dollars.
So I think of it in pounds.

Yes the good times have certainly gone that's for sure. I don't think a tipping point has been reached though because that would mean guys are not prepared to pay. Maybe some wont, but a lot still will.
It hasn't stopped me yet but it has slowed me down a lot and made me think more carefully about how much I want to do a particular build.
The guys that like to get something together in a month or two will probably be the most deterred.
Those that don't mind the wait just have to wait a bit longer.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 03:40 PM »
I dont think so. It's still around one and a half gbp to the dollar so still worthwhile. Postage costs have risen over there though. Still, the recession is digging in hard in the US and those that need the dosh are reducing the costs of the items to make it more desirable to buyers.

A lot do think though that the English are willing to spend dollars on parts. Just get yourself a good rappor on the Museum and you will be fine  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 03:43 PM »
Just get yourself a good rappor on the Museum and you will be fine  :daumenhoch:

Not everyone wants to be a rent boy for the Yanks Terry...! :D

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 05:45 PM »
I have just bought some pitbull brakes from over the pond so, personally, i'm not at the tipping point but i have to admit the exchange rate, postage and potential import tax did make me think twice.

There are certainly some less desirable parts that are not worth buying once all the extras are considered, generaly small stuff like seat clamps, grips etc
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  The cost of buying from the states.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx