gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975571 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 21, 2024, 05:07 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  skyway cassette repair
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: skyway cassette repair  (Read 13968 times)

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: skyway cassette repair
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 02:57 PM »
I have tried drifting out the bearing cover with the 2 holes, both clock wise and anti clockwise, it does not move at all. Stuck now.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2013, 03:01 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's how it comes out. It will be well fixed in there after all these years  :-\ 

I have to shoot to work now bro, sorry  :(
BANNED

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 03:02 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's how it comes out. It will be well fixed in there after all these years  :-\ 

I have to shoot to work now bro, sorry  :(

cheers for your help mate

bof

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2013, 03:52 PM »
They are like this bro  :daumenhoch:

I don't think this is right , any chance of a picture of inside the wheel hub area. It doesn't look like the hub is big enough to hold the coaster innards. The pictures are of a ACS free coaster modification. If you look at your hub where the sprocket goes on it has 6 or 7 splines. A coaster will typically have 3. Take care with knocking things about.  I can't find mine unfortunately. With a picture of inside the hub i t might tell us a bit more

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 04:21 PM »
bof, I have just looked inside the wheel, there is a 12 mm or so tube that runs from one side to the other, just big enough for the axle to run through. The bit I cant remove is on the outside of the wheel.

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2013, 04:27 PM »
looks like the only thing wrong is the teeth/lugs have worn out on the cog,  don't bash the cassette bit about you'll probs struggle to get parts,   shimano hubs from early 80's had a similar cassette   dx hubs      should just be a case of finding a drive cog that fits with the least amount of play as possible , maybe try road bike shops, one of the mutispeed gears should fit, don't let em fob you off with "you won't get owt to fit that"   and tell em your not bonkers and you know it were made years ago  :LolLolLolLol:

looks like one of these a few pics down  :daumenhoch:   don't destroy it not many about  :daumenhoch:

worst case if you can't source a new cog  ( probs be from the US ) assuming the cassette is working ok,  you can have the cog welded to the cassette ,  skilled welder can do it quick enough to stop any heat problems, have seen the shimano ones welded like this , the spring clip that holds the cog on were shite like on a coaster just work loose, then the cog strips out like yours, used to weld my coaster cogs on before even using em  :daumenhoch:

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=187471
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 05:39 PM by oldtired »

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2013, 04:35 PM »
looks like the only thing wrong is the teeth/lugs have worn out on the cog,  don't bash the cassette bit about you'll probs struggle to get parts,   shimano hubs from early 80's had a similar cassette   dx hubs?     should just be a case of finding a drive cog that fits with the least amount of play as possible , maybe try road bike shops, one of the mutispeed gears should fit, don't let em fob you off with "you won't get owt to fit that"   and tell em your not bonkers and you know it were made years ago  :LolLolLolLol:

looks like one of these a few pics down  :daumenhoch:   don't destroy it not many about  :daumenhoch:

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=187471

Pic from your link looks just like mine

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2013, 04:40 PM »
edited my post  :daumenhoch:   twice  and this one  :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 04:50 PM by oldtired »

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2013, 04:48 PM »
edited my post  :daumenhoch:

I have learned some interesting things from your link, my wheels are '79-'81 tuff 2s buy the looks of it. I really wanted to keep early alloy hubbed tuffs on my Haro, but from your article, skyway changed to the sealed bearings in 1985. My Haro is 1988, so the sealed bearing type is era correct for my bike. If I can't fix it I will sell them on and buy some other ones, if I could get a whole suntour coaster set up with hubs that would also be an option.

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2013, 04:53 PM »
cool always good to learn something new  :daumenhoch:, i hate to say it but the museum is always a good place to look for the more obscure bits  :daumenhoch:

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2013, 04:59 PM »
Looking on USA ebay, and theres very little on there

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2013, 05:36 PM »
there was not many cassette hubs about back then , maybe look for Shimano parts  they had 8 slots , got a set from 84  , there are still some sets come up for sale,

these are 84 Shimano very similar, busted but still work,   quality  :daumenhoch:

think ACS did a cassette hub, not sure on lug layout,   unsure if bendix, shimano coaster cogs will fit they had 3 lugs

Odessey do a hazzard hubb with a cassette and a few different size cogs don't know the lug position on em never seen one but , worth seeing if they fit maybe  ?

in general i gues i'm saying i'm not sure ................ :LolLolLolLol:

Offline garran

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2013, 05:55 PM »
best bet is change the hub to a sprocket type by drilling out the old one.(if you can find one) we used to do that to put on complete coaster hubs

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2013, 06:08 PM »
Starting to think about putting these up for sale as spares/repairs, if I could find parts to use to convert it I might have a go, but there seems to be nothing on ebay uk or usa and it maybe getting beyond my mechanical capabilites unless someone could explain it step by step.

bof

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2013, 06:11 PM »

Sun tour hub picture
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 06:21 PM by bof »

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2013, 06:25 PM »
that looks similar, but I still cant figure out how to get mine apart

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2013, 10:33 PM »
The first steel hub Skyway Tuff lls had these cassette hubs, you can get replacements, or as I have done in the past, fit a Suntour coaster, the body is the same as the coaster shells  :daumenhoch:

wazza

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2013, 12:28 PM »
Here is mine stripped..may help
Not sure if mine is exactly the same as yours but here goes...
Both sides.

If you take the left side apart the cog doesnt need to come off.

This is the only item that showed any wear.

Otherside is then released.

When you pedal forward the threads on the ooojit push the thingy in to get drive,obviously a little magic happens and elves and fairies are invloved.. :2funny:

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2013, 05:26 PM »
Wazza this is the same reply as on RB but put it on here too, might help other people who are stuck

Wazza, many thanks for going to the effort of stripping yours, but unfortunately mine is not the same.

I removed the axle, mine came out similar to the front wheel. Slid out the axle and nothing else moved. Here is the non sprocket side. The bearings sit in this area. This "cup" appears to be pressed into the star shaped hub. There's no way its moving or coming out.

Next the sprocket side, above the sprocket, yours has 3 notches I think (cant see the rear), mine has 8.

Circlip removed and the sprocket lines up with the notches and slides out.

This is what I am left with. There are 2 small hole marks. This looks like if its turned, it should come off, there are tiny bearings under it. I cant tried turning it left and right and it will not move. I don't know if its a normal thread of left hand thread but either way it will not move at all. Even if this bearing cover did come off I am not sure how I can remove the outer hub.

Offline Discostu

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2013, 06:10 PM »

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2013, 06:17 PM »
here is your answer.  :daumenhoch:

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=255792

Thanks Stu, so it is as someone mentioned, a left hand thread. So if I can get that to come off the whole thing should come apart. Its going to take some moving though, its been on there over 30 years by the looks of it.

ozone

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2013, 06:52 PM »
This is probably the correct tool for the job.  Won't be cheap though..

Offline stevepeanut

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2013, 09:07 PM »
Big thanks to DiscoStu for finding that link.

I held a lighter on the locking ring for ages to get some heat into the ring, and it drifted out no problem.

This is whats left on the hub. I am pretty sure this last bit is pressed into the 5 star hub bit.

These are the parts that have came off when it came undone.

And this is what is playing up, two little tabs that must close when freewheeling and open up to lock the freewheel.

I can't see anything thats an obvious cause of failure, I am thinking possibly the little tabs are not opening out because they are caked in thick dirty grease.

I am going to reassemble it tomorrow, I will grease up the bearings tomorrow. Can anyone tell me what kind of grease or oil I should be using on the tabs?

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2013, 11:58 PM »
 :) The 2 little tabs are called pawls.Use a very light oil and you should be fine.

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2013, 12:22 AM »
GLAD YOU GOT IT APART. I ALWAYS STRIP, CLEAN, RE GREASE , REBUILD THIS STUFF EVEN IF ITS NEW (OFTEN THE WORSE ADJUSTMENTS AND CRAP STORAGE GREASE)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  skyway cassette repair

gfxgfx
gfx gfx