gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975593 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 04, 2024, 09:41 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Anyone Using Plastic / Nylon 10mm Washers on a rider (Cruiser)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Anyone Using Plastic / Nylon 10mm Washers on a rider (Cruiser)  (Read 4239 times)

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Hey,

On my last few builds Ive used 10mm plastic washers when mounting my wheels in order to try to protect the powder / paint or chrome  & i was wondering if these are safe to use if i just wanted to cruise around these bikes or would they split & come off leaving the wheel loose & me in a heap on the floor in the middle of the road ?????

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Anyone Using Plastic / Nylon 10mm Washers on a rider (Cruiser)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 04:25 PM »
good question  :( i was thinking a very slim plastic washer for the pretection underneath a proper steel one  ???

rodriguez

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 05:16 PM »
Wouldn't use them on a bike i was going ride.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 05:26 PM »
Wouldn't use them on a bike i was going ride.

What he said  :daumenhoch:

Offline GavinDavis

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 05:50 PM »
No I wouldnt ride with them...

If they gave up on you while riding, it stands a chance you'd do more damage to your drop outs than you would with normal washers  :daumenhoch:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 06:51 PM »
It can't be done, believe me, I've had 2 incidents with them. :-[

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline not johndub71

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 07:18 PM »
What about a red fibre washer, or a diy gasket kit (can you get these?)
Facebook/Fr35Hair

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 07:49 PM »
+1
dont use them on a rider.

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 08:25 PM »
Can't believe this question was asked  :-\

Plastic washers  :LolLolLolLol:

2 minutes turkish...

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 10:10 PM »

Really ? People ride around all day on plastic wheels with nylon content  so what's so stupid ? This it tech & restore right ? A place to ask questions & gain knowledge ? No wonder the sites been so quiet recently if this is the kind of reply people asking perfectly valid questions receive .... :Aresehole:

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 11:07 PM »
I've seen them used before for a gentle ride out but you do need to use chain-tugs to keep the rear wheel from slipping  :daumenhoch:
If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 11:28 PM »
got plastic sump plug washers on the futura callum,seem ok so far,do have chain tugs on though & ain't the prettiest things in the world
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 11:55 PM »
I use them on all of my carpet queens but I think they'd slide slightly under the pressure from heavy peddling and your freewheel only needs to be slightly misaligned to stop your ride.  The rubber washers used for plumbing might provide a better solution, failing that drop out savers like these are perfect.

http://www.helixbmx.net/dropouts.htm

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 08:23 AM »
Some really useful comments ( in the main ) thanks . I've never ridden any of my old school builds & was considering taking on or two of them out so ill try some of these ideas. Like I said i would only be just cruising around in the summer sun ! :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 10:26 AM »
like I said i would only be just cruising around in the summer sun ! :daumenhoch:

That's all old school is good for........just pick one you will ride about on and dog up the nuts nice n tight, then ride the Fokker  :daumenhoch:

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2013, 12:04 PM »

Really ? People ride around all day on plastic wheels with nylon content  so what's so stupid ? This it tech & restore right ? A place to ask questions & gain knowledge ? No wonder the sites been so quiet recently if this is the kind of reply people asking perfectly valid questions receive .... :Aresehole:

Asshole..... how rude!

God forbid anyone would want to actually ride a bmx  :shocked:

My reply was tongue in cheek.... ask a silly question and all that  ;D

2 minutes turkish...

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2013, 12:43 PM »

Asshole..... how rude!

Ok I'd had a couple of beers last night when I read this so ill apologise & Defer the  :Aresehole: quote, however a few of us were debating in a thread started by terry as to why the site seems so quiet be it the time of year, post red crash meltdown etcetc & it was felt that for anyone new ( & I count myself as a newbie ) rad can be quite an intimidating place. Many people wouldn't have dared to have asked the question above for fear of a reply like yours. Regardless of how it was meant the written word can easily be Mis understood & with a lot of members there's a certain arrogance that comes across in their replies in some threads.

Rad should be a positive place with positive comments on builds & less of the ( ask a stupid question expect a stupid answer attitude) to go along with the backhanded build compliments so many like to give out on build threads. Personally I couldn't give a toss if I get one of these after all I build for me & no one else but like to show my work to the community. but from speaking to other members this kind of thing can really take the enjoyment out of what at the end of the day should be an enjoyable hobby.  :daumenhoch:

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2013, 12:56 PM »

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 01:05 PM »
I am an asshole so don't worry bout the insult  ;)

My advice on the bike would be to build it proper with everything nice n tight if it's gonna be a rider.... even if it's just to the pub and back  :daumenhoch:

Being spat over the bars because the chains come off isn't funny

Should have said that in the first place  :daumenhoch:
2 minutes turkish...

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 01:20 PM »
Rubber washers will deform before you can get them anywhere near tight enough, A red fibre washer may work underneath a regular steel one but on its own it will just chew up  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 09:25 PM by oldschoolace »
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 02:23 PM »
Bottom line here is that is anything is being ridden all points of contact on the bike need to be metal on metal. Yes mags are nylon, but the axles, cones, nuts, etc are all steel where they meet the frame and forks. Stay well away from any nylon or plastic washers in other words.  :daumenhoch:
***Wanted - Cash waiting***
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 02:37 PM »

Asshole..... how rude!

Ok I'd had a couple of beers last night when I read this so ill apologise & Defer the  :Aresehole: quote, however a few of us were debating in a thread started by terry as to why the site seems so quiet be it the time of year, post red crash meltdown etcetc & it was felt that for anyone new ( & I count myself as a newbie ) rad can be quite an intimidating place. Many people wouldn't have dared to have asked the question above for fear of a reply like yours. Regardless of how it was meant the written word can easily be Mis understood & with a lot of members there's a certain arrogance that comes across in their replies in some threads.

Rad should be a positive place with positive comments on builds & less of the ( ask a stupid question expect a stupid answer attitude) to go along with the backhanded build compliments so many like to give out on build threads. Personally I couldn't give a toss if I get one of these after all I build for me & no one else but like to show my work to the community. but from speaking to other members this kind of thing can really take the enjoyment out of what at the end of the day should be an enjoyable hobby.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 04:00 PM »
Nice as ever Rich ! :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 11:01 AM »
Cal, I built my Haro FST with nylon washers on, then showed my bikes at my local Carnival. At the end of the day, I was transferring the bikes to the car which was parked on the other side of the hedge where is displayed them. My Handbrake was with me keeping an eye on the bikes while I shipped them to the car. I only had three bikes then, so rode the first 2 to speed the process up, so I then jumped on the Haro and boom, first pedal and I dragged the back wheel forward and nearly got chucked over the bars. :idiot2:

Not cool to do in front of your Mrs and her tidy mates. :-[

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline Funkyworm

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 01:31 PM »
Cal, I built my Haro FST with nylon washers on, then showed my bikes at my local Carnival. At the end of the day, I was transferring the bikes to the car which was parked on the other side of the hedge where is displayed them. My Handbrake was with me keeping an eye on the bikes while I shipped them to the car. I only had three bikes then, so rode the first 2 to speed the process up, so I then jumped on the Haro and boom, first pedal and I dragged the back wheel forward and nearly got chucked over the bars. :idiot2:

Not cool to do in front of your Mrs and her tidy mates. :-[

Tidy Mates  :coolsmiley: :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Anyone Using Plastic / Nylon 10mm Washers on a rider (Cruiser)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx