gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975601 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 09, 2024, 01:05 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1988 Haro Team Master
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 1988 Haro Team Master  (Read 4993 times)

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
1988 Haro Team Master
« on: October 31, 2013, 06:47 PM »
Evening Chaps.

Well this BMX illness is really kicking in :uglystupid2:  I haven't even got close to finishing my FST rebuild, and i have somehow found myself becoming the owner of a 1987 teal/mint and chrome Team Master frame, Forks and bars. 

This will be a long term project, as i don't have the funds to do anything with it just yet. It will probably have a total rebuild and be minty mint.  It's scruffy in places, but looks pretty straight from what i've seen, fingers crossed! It has chrome forks, with standers and chrome kneesaver bars.

I'll post photos when i get a chance.

To help with the restoration, i'm trying to compile a list of the correct parts. I'd be grateful if the Haro gurus on here can help out, and post a pic or two of the parts i'll be needing to help in my search.

Thanks a lot :)

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 11:51 PM by laidback »

Offline Sc0tty

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: 1987 Haro Team Master
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 11:07 AM »
I am looking forward to this one buddy  :) :daumenhoch:

Here's the 1987 haro product catalogue which may help matey. Full tech spec for your bike on the last page.  :)

http://www.ajkbikes.com/downloads/catalogs/1987%20Haro%20Catalog.pdf

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 07:30 PM »
Thanks for that Sc0tty.

I don't want to tempt fate, as it hasn't arrived at my friends in the US yet, (bought it of someone else in the US, and my friend is posting it out to me), but these are the photos i was sent:

Looks pretty straight, and most of the important bits are there :)

I think i got that lot for a reasonable price, just wandering what the going rate for that lot should be?

Cheers :daumenhoch:

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 07:35 PM »
What stem is correct?...

or

i think the second one might break the bank!

Offline Sc0tty

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 07:44 PM »
Looks to be a really good frame matey.

I bought an 86 haro sport from the US earlier this year, and to be honest it was not the best purchase. The chrome on mine was pitted badly in places, and there was heavy surface rust on the usual places (rear dropouts, area around seat post, BB and gusset) After an OA bath, and shed loads of sanding and polishing, the frame was ready for superbikedan to wave his magic wand.  He has done a pucker job powder coating the frame and forks.  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :daumenhoch: :) ;) :)

Offline Sc0tty

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 07:46 PM »
I think the group 1 stem is correct for your bike mate. Hope you have deep pockets dude  ;) :D :)

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 07:55 PM »
Thats going to be nice  :daumenhoch:

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 08:06 PM »
I hope so! if anyone can tell me how many £'s i'll roughly need for a G1 stem, that would be helpful. Also if anyone knows what the correct bars are i'd be grateful! cheers peeps :)

P.S. im skint :LolLolLolLol:

Offline nitrohopper

• Site Supporter
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 08:10 PM »
hi i have the tourquoise one stem on my team sport i beleave it to be correct
build what u want if u like it then thats all that matters

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 08:20 PM »
Hey buddy.

The '87 Team Master was Neon Yellow. The '88 Team Master was Neon Green although the serial will/may have '87 stamped into it, it would have been released around November 1987 for the Christmas sales.

If yours does have a serial like H87***** stamped under the downtube, then go for '87 dated parts. One of the hardest parts to find will ne the '87 AD990 rear caliper complete with original hardware. Don't be tempted by a re-issue if you can help it. Another hard to come by item will be the fluted layback. Expect to pay top dollar for one and make sure the stamping is correct around the minimum insert line.

As yours is the Team model for '88, yours should have the Team stem on, not the Group 1.

This is how the '87 Team Master should look

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/haro/33767

and this, the '88 Team Master

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/haro/54706
BANNED

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 08:41 PM »
Thanks for the responses, every little helps.  When it arrives at my friends, i'll get the frame number. It's from a trusted source and a collector, so should be fine. Is it likely mine is an 87 frame number, but actually an 88 ? When you say neon green, are you referring to the teal colour of mine?

I also notice some have painted forks. others have chrome.  Do the forks look correct? i know the standers are located differently for different years...

I have a fluted haro layback, im about to put on My FST:

Stamped Top Max Hight 22.2 sae 4130...is this the correct one?

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 08:51 PM »
That seat post is bang on correct bro  :daumenhoch:

The Teal colour is the '88  Team. When Haro produced them they used '87 frame sets painted up and ready to build for the Christmas rush. Many will have the '87 serial numbers but a later month letter.

That frame looks spot on too. The fork, foot standers, Gyro and Headset look to be original to the frame set.

I would hazard a guess at around $450 - $575 dollars for what you have there. The rest will not be cheap. The Peregrine cranks, Team chainwheel, '88 kneesaver bars, Peregrine Super Pro wheel set will cost a fair packet for sure.

Take your time and source the right parts though bro, you will feel better at the end for it  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 09:10 PM »
I paid the right money for this then, that's a good start ;)

It comes with some knee savers in chrome, not sure if they are the original ones, as i haven't seen them yet.  The chap who sold it has also sold the stem which seems to be the G1 one, but i haven't had confirmation its the correct one from my bike.

Im expecting this to be an expensive build, and it will take time, as i can't justify spending 000's on it!  I like the survivor look, but i think this needs to be mint.

I'll be realistic with parts such as the cranks, and will probably end up fitting some 3 pc flights initially and also use the 48s im restoring, until i find the correct bits. I'd like to ride it as an ongoing project!

Thanks Londonhellboy and the rest of you- great info :daumenhoch:

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 10:35 PM »
My team master back in the day came with a group 1 stem not the long reach Haro stem.  :daumenhoch:

These look great in the mint/teal finish.  :smitten:

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 10:49 PM »
I'm a bit taller than Spen, maybe i should go for the Group 1, otherwise i won't be able to reach the bars with a layback ;D

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 11:58 AM »
Morning guys.

Well the frame made it to my mates, and he sent me a few more photo's.  It turns out that it's actually an '88! here's some more photos:

And the frame number: (some of it blurred out)

These are the bars that came with it, Are they correct? will need a rechrome if they are. Did the 88's have chrome bars or partly painted bars.  I've seen both!

I'm still thinking about what direction to take this, I can't justify spending thousands on it! Any opinions appreciated. :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 12:01 PM by laidback »

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 12:06 PM »
Those bars are wrong. They are the race knee saver bars.  :daumenhoch:

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 12:26 PM »
Cheers Stu, i thought as much.  I'm not complaining at the price i paid. Would they be easy to sell?

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 12:37 PM »
Can anyone advise if these are these correct?

Offline East Coast Bmx

• Curb Endo
    • http://www.facebook.com/eastcoastbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 05:36 AM »
None of those are correct fella  :(
Facebook Page East Coast Bmx

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: 1988 Haro Team Master
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 12:15 AM »
Well, after a lot of messing around, i finally took delivery of my new project today :)

The frame and forks are straight and solid, and the chrome looks like it will clean up well. Dropouts are good, as is the seat tube (i've read that they crack)..

After hassling a few yanks ( and a few Brits  ;)) for various parts, i have the following so far:

Frame and forks including standers,
Nippon Front and 990 Rear brakes
Tech 77's (they'll do for now)
AME Tri's
Reproduction Team Chainring
Fluted straight post
Peregrine clamp
Team stem
G1 NOS Gyro cables in white
Knee saver bars...Still not 100% sure they are correct for an '88, but i trusted someone who told me they were  :chin:
White Dominator ( i was told this was mint, but its crap- i'll be chasing that one up!)
Kenda rip off tyres (temporary)
AJK decal set

Looking forward to getting started on it.  I might just throw it together and see how it rides before the major rebuild commences!

Any thoughts on the bars appreciated,  I'll start a proper build thread in due course guys :daumenhoch:

Offline East Coast Bmx

• Curb Endo
    • http://www.facebook.com/eastcoastbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 05:42 PM »
Very nice  :daumenhoch:
Facebook Page East Coast Bmx

Offline Sc0tty

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 11:27 PM »
Any updates my son?  p.s you might be able to dye the seat back to lovely clean white, or porkchopbmx are selling repop white dominators for cheap dollar at the mo'. 

http://www.porkchopbmx.com/BRAND-NEW-Viscount-Dominator-old-school-BMX-bicycle-seat-WHITE-DOMINATOR-WHITE.htm 

:)

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 09:29 AM »
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,169551.0.html

There ya go Sc0tty..started a new thread for it. Finished it yesterday. Pics on page 2 :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1988 Haro Team Master

gfxgfx
gfx gfx