gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975601 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 10, 2024, 12:06 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Has it now burst?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Has it now burst?  (Read 4986 times)

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Has it now burst?
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2014, 07:05 PM »
I like repo parts.

For example if I got a New School Skyway TA I would build it with all repo parts.

But would still prefer to use Old School parts for an Old School bike.

:)

Offline Jaan

• Tail Whip
  • A.K.A. Chris
    • AlphaPunk
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2014, 07:11 PM »
I like repo parts.

For example if I got a New School Skyway TA I would build it with all repo parts.

But would still prefer to use Old School parts for an Old School bike.

:)

Makes good sense to me to build a repop f/f with repop parts  :daumenhoch:

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2014, 07:25 PM »
Idiot

You know who

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2014, 07:29 PM »
Nothing wrong with a newschool looking like an oldschool in my book..... I get to ride a decent bike that has sorted geometry and doesn't fall apart, but it looks like an old bike so it confuses the kidz :2funny:
Still limping......

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2014, 07:35 PM »
I remember dinni seeing mine at the rad shop bash and saying "took man, you welded lugs to you motomag?"  ;D

Gets em every time Spen  :daumenhoch:

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2014, 08:46 PM »
I remember dinni seeing mine at the rad shop bash and saying "took man, you welded lugs to you motomag?"  ;D

Gets em every time Spen  :daumenhoch:

What bike's that Rob? ::)
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2014, 08:48 PM »
Its a secret nick, I'll unveil her at MK  ;)

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2014, 08:51 PM »
I heard it was a Burner......  ::)
Still limping......

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2014, 08:53 PM »
 ;D
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2014, 09:30 PM »
I heard it was a Burner......  ::)

I'm working on one  :daumenhoch:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2014, 10:14 AM »
Thanks for the input guys  :daumenhoch:

I know the ride outs and meet ups are becoming popular these days and I can only assume that it is due to the great weather we are having this year and I hope, personally, to get a few later on in the year as, at present, I am involved in some live changing situations.

My question was posted due to being asked by a few other people if I thought the bubble (scene) was bursting for a number of reasons. Rad is far from buzzing as it used to be, hopefully due to everybody being out in the sunshine, there seems to be more Mid school builds being built as opposed to Old school, many members are selling off their bikes (check Ebay and FB) and the parts sales have become, dare I say, dull, as opposed to quantity of great parts that used to be for sale. Are people hoarding their wares?

If you attend the rides, and MK, you'll see that in no way has it burst.

You can't base the popularity of the 'bubble' as you call it (I'd prefer scene myself), purely on sales and how slow, or fast they are.

People just aren't interested in buying your stuff lads.
Unfortunately Dan, getting to rides or MK is not an easy option for myself due to working shifts etc etc. I have attended the London ride on a few occasions when I have been off on the day it is scheduled for but getting up North for a ride is a difficult one.

I didin't just base my question on the for sales section here on Rad as many members now prefer to sell on Ebay and Facebook to the wider audience. My question was based on a few people asking me the same question and I thought I would post it on here to see what peoples views were.

I may have not sold my complete bikes but I preffered to keep them together rather than split them as I really don't want sell them to start with but space is an issue for me to keep hold of them. When I do sell parts, they generally do sell as most of the parts I have are of excellent quality which the buyers would confirm if asked. I only ever asked for I paid for the item plus postage to get it to you, which I feel is fair.
BANNED

rodriguez

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2014, 01:11 PM »
Thing is as far as im concerned, the opportunity to restore a bike I thought I wanted came up, and then the opportunity to build a "Pro" new school bike reared its head. I thought I would ride this and get fit but in the end didnt bother.

So basically I bought and built 2 bikes that werent my "Grail" and left me cold. So im stranded with them. I wont shed a tear to see the BD go but the condor anniversary is the one I would least like to part with especially as its brand new and built with somponents that wont break no matter how much it would be abused.

BMX"er for life?? YES I believe I am but the thought of a decent MTB to ride when im eventually living in the UK is the main priority and the lesson learnt is that maybe I should have sourced a streetbeat to replace mine that was stolen in 1988....

Your situation doesn't really have anything to do with the bubble bursting for old school debate.

New school is a different ball game, you can throw silly money at a new school bike but if you change your mind you'll only get buttons for it as you've found out, seen a few people being stung like you have over the years on here.

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2014, 02:19 PM »
I know the questions get asked every year 'has the bubble burst', but that is always from members that got in the hobby, built one bike (usually a shit one), paid way too much money for the parts and now cannot recoup that ££ they laid out in the first place... i.e. dumb fookers.

The real collectors and lovers of BMX and OS carry on as we have done for many years.  I love it when the bubble bursts every year as it gets rid of so many assholes that I have to deal with on a daily basis and makes room for new blood and fresh ideas, plus there are bargains to be had buying parts from desperate people.

Bubble burst?  Well it ain't a bubble so nothing to burst, to some of us BMX is a way of life not a whim and money making exercise.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 02:42 PM by stidds »

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2014, 02:50 PM »
but that is always from members that got in the hobby, built one bike (usually a shit one), paid way too much money for the parts and now cannot recoup that ££ they laid out in the first place... i.e. dumb fookers.
A bit harsh is that Sean. Some members get ripped by other members just so they can move on to higher priced items for themselves.

With so many 'repop' parts on the market too, some are bound to buy unaware of the product being 'fake' but paying top dollar for it.

And what is a 'shit bike' in your eyes? An old school bike built with repop parts or a bike built with old school parts but not to your liking?
BANNED

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2014, 04:40 PM »
My arse has just burst...  full English and beer for two days on the trot, now compacted by several budget easter eggs :shocked:
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2014, 10:52 PM »
but that is always from members that got in the hobby, built one bike (usually a shit one), paid way too much money for the parts and now cannot recoup that ££ they laid out in the first place... i.e. dumb fookers.
A bit harsh is that Sean. Some members get ripped by other members just so they can move on to higher priced items for themselves.

With so many 'repop' parts on the market too, some are bound to buy unaware of the product being 'fake' but paying top dollar for it.

And what is a 'shit bike' in your eyes? An old school bike built with repop parts or a bike built with old school parts but not to your liking?

To be honest, anybody who gets  ass raped over parts without doing some simple homework on prices get what they deserve IMO.

It is not hard to do some searching on parts and prices and to get an idea of what to use and how much to pay.

A shit bike for me is simply throwing money at something just because all you can remember from your past are well known parts (MX1000, Comp III etc etc etc), I don't personally care what the bike is or the parts used, what gets me is the lack of imagination when it comes to parts to use.. Kashi Aero= boring as fook, Tuff Neck = more boring as fook, etc etc and you pay a massive premium for these parts.

Using repops these days show more imagination than paying £250 for a Dia-Compe MX1000.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:17 AM by stidds »

Offline fischflo

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2014, 01:34 AM »
where else do you get to see bikes like shearer's JMC long standard, OK on the museum maybe or at the Aussies .......

like others have said, if some of the boys don't shift.. or rather show up that much any more, that probably says more about saturation of a few at a particular moment in time than about general interest .
looking at the past few botms, i don't have the feeling the quantity or quality of the builds has decreased at all, and i can't think of a ..better indicator of how rad's doing, but i can't comment on the 4 sale section, hardly go there. but like others have said, if some boys etc....

:radbmxsmilie: "bump"

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2014, 09:20 AM »
People come and people go, we all go through stages of losing the love a bit or having life throw you curve balls.

Most come back and some don't and move onto the next 'thing' but alls good  :daumenhoch:

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2014, 09:58 AM »
Judging by some of the prices banded about (and bought) down here recently, fk all has burst.

It comes, it goes. The rides are bigger than ever by the sound of it, but sales of some parts are down.

It'll even itself out eventually
Neil, the bathroom's free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2014, 07:42 PM »
the bubble has burst when you can get hutch stems for £40 quid again and mx1000 for a tenner , i can`t see that happening for a long time and no way has the bubble burst , the reason stuff sits around for sale too long is too many greedy people out there who want top dollar for stuff  as ebay is plastered with it .
no1stuntmaster on instagram

Bru

« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2014, 07:44 PM »
the bubble has burst when you can get hutch stems for £40 quid again and mx1000 for a tenner , i can`t see that happening for a long time and no way has the bubble burst , the reason stuff sits around for sale too long is too many greedy people out there who want top dollar for stuff  as ebay is plastered with it .

:daumenhoch:

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2014, 09:40 AM »
The king is dead .... Long live the king - it all goes full circle :) prices have put me off from buying but I still love the scene because of the people who are here and the passion they have, I have the utmost admiration for you guys that build bikes  .... My love is collection the parts I couldn't afford as a kid. There will always be old school BMX collectors. I think the real shame is the demise of OS racing I use to love it , it was about the bikes and getting together to enjoy the racing....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2014, 09:55 AM »
I just got to the pan before it burst.
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2014, 10:51 AM »
What I say to anyone struggling to sell is:

1) adjust your price to gain more interest once reduced,
2) don't keep flogging the same parts at the same price and starting a new thread with a new title to shift them.

As said though, IMO sales are no reflection on the activity of the hobby.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Has it now burst?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx