gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975573 Posts in 138925 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 23, 2024, 05:14 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Kiddies Balance Bikes....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Kiddies Balance Bikes....  (Read 527 times)

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Kiddies Balance Bikes....
« on: September 25, 2014, 04:11 PM »
I guess this is BMX related, as the sooner they learn, the sooner they will be riding BMX :LolLolLolLol:

I've been asked by a friend to look for a decent balance bike for her 2.5/going on 3 year old.  I've had a little look around, and these two have jumped out at me:

http://boomerbalancebikes.co.uk/
http://liferbikes.myshopify.com/products/alley-runner-12

The rest of the range:
http://liferbikes.myshopify.com/pages/life-is-an-adventure-start-early-really-early

Do any of you chaps, who are parents have any recommendations/advice? I like the idea of detachable pedals, but the Early riders look like they are great quality.

Any advice appreciated :daumenhoch:

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: Kiddies Balance Bikes....
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 04:22 PM »
first balance bike for my daughter was a tiny bike

http://www.fun4kids.co.uk/bikes-ride-ons/balance-bikes/tiny-bike.html

great piece of kit and a good well made UK product and of the right size for her when she was 2

i then moved her to an early rider alley runner

http://liferbikes.myshopify.com/products/alley-runner-12

expensive , but keeps its value for resale and is super light , well made and sealed everything but I am a bit retarded and love bikes so she got one of these

Offline Robbo

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 04:27 PM »
My little lady has one of these, great looking bike and very well made.  :daumenhoch:

http://liferbikes.myshopify.com/products/classic-12-14

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 04:42 PM »
Seriously you will not regret either of the aluminium Early Rider bikes, but don't forget Isla bikes - they hold the money seriously well as you can't buy them on the high street so the price is non-negotiable, but the issue is unless you know someone with one to try for size, it's a trip to the south of the Midlands to the factory.

Both my kids learned on the Alley Runner and now Ash Kungfunky's daughter has it waiting for her until she's old enough - it still looks stunning and hardly had a mark on it. Absolutely awesome piece of kit, and you can buy the 14" wheelset for only £30 to keep it going as they grow. My daughter has the 16" Belter and it is equally stunning and unbelievably light and she loves it - Gates belt drive too :coolsmiley:

My boy has a 14" Isla CNOC14 which I paid £200 delivered for and they fetch £140 on ebay all day long. They also do a balance bike http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/rothan.html

Either way, make sure you buy a bike designed for kids and not a scaled down frame with normal bits on it as the wieght will be ridiculous. Kids learn much better with a light bike, and if you shop about (hint, try Edinburgh cycles on one of there crazy sale weekends) then you can get up to 20% off the Early Rider stuff :daumenhoch:
Still limping......

Offline nosepickben

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 04:52 PM »
My lad started on a little aluminium Norco balance bike. It cost £40 which was the price of the steel model (bike shop's error!!) It had nice thin bars and grips for little hands and a large saddle with a handle slot in the back which was handy. The seatclamp was a quick release jobby too. It never needed fixing despite loads of crashes and it got lobbed around a lot, in and out of the car etc.
Damn good value it was. My lad passed it on to one of his friends when he finished with it, so it got 2 kids riding.

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 05:34 PM »
Good info chaps, i wonder if an Early rider is a little big for a 2.5 year old girl? I'm a bike snob, that's why it jumped out at me.  I'll have a proper read when i get home from work, Keep the suggestions coming :radbmxsmilie:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 06:34 PM »
Good info chaps, i wonder if an Early rider is a little big for a 2.5 year old girl? I'm a bike snob, that's why it jumped out at me.  I'll have a proper read when i get home from work, Keep the suggestions coming :radbmxsmilie:

Nope. The Alley runner with 12" wheels started my boy on his 2nd birthday :coolsmiley:
Still limping......

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Yep lily got the alley runner on her second burfday and she was off and running in minutes

She is now four and still rides it about
She has the belter and has ridden it , but it is slightly too big for her

I didn't know they did bigger wheels for the runner , I will get some

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 10:11 PM »
Great advice.  I think the Alleyrunner is winning at the moment.  Those Isla balance bikes look like a nice bit of kit too...Choices! The pink might swing it! But, i could always get our friend Del to knock up some custom decals ;)...I can see me getting carried away with this.  Am i allowed to enter one into BOTM? :LolLolLolLol:

I like the wooden ones, however i guess it's important for it to feel as 'bike' like as possible, so when they progress onto a bigger bike, it doesn't feel too different.  The Boomerbike or whatever it's called looks like a good idea, with detachable pedals, but i can't help thinking it looks a little cheaper than the rest. I may be wrong.

With the Alley runner, are the bars/grips/reach to the bars and brake lever suitable for little hands?...

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 11:10 PM »
Yep, the whole bile is scaled down perfectly :daumenhoch:
Still limping......

Offline laidback

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 11:11 PM »
Sorted! just sealed a deal on an IslaBikes Rothan.  It's used, has a few scratches (to be expected) but it was only £65, and is 5 miles up the road.  I'm sure it will clean up a treat.  I might even get SBD to give the frame a once over!

Thanks for your help guys.

Offline bmxband1t77

• Cherry Picker
  • '77 a good year (Star Wars-Punk) but not my DOB.
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 12:50 AM »
These well funky and diffrent designs.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=321585693289

Jonboy
Stay RAD Forever
BMX pimpin' since '81

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 08:01 AM »

Easy rider, employs a mate and lovely people

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Kiddies Balance Bikes....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx