gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975601 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 10, 2024, 03:15 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Can you dye tange grips?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Can you dye tange grips?  (Read 700 times)

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Can you dye tange grips?
« on: December 14, 2014, 01:55 PM »
I was wondering if you can dye tange grips? just i have a set of white/well grubby cream colour they have went and there bloody disgusting looking,i tried bleaching them months ago but it never turned out,so now looking to dye them,have any off you guys dyed these before and had success?

cheers graham
Too many cool bikes out there,  not enough money in my wallet :D

rodriguez

Re: Can you dye tange grips?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 04:56 PM »
I think someone did try but they colour didn't take very well.

I had some of these that were pretty dirty a couple of years ago, I tried bleach first too and it didn't do much to some of the marks.

I put them in socks tied the top and stuck them in the washing machine to get the grease off them as much as possible then soaked them in pure bleach.

If you've a dishwasher stick them in it.

They came out a lot better not perfect but just used looking not boggin   :LolLolLolLol:

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 06:10 PM »
Cheers mate will see if they dye if not in the dishwasher they go  :daumenhoch:

rodriguez

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 09:10 PM »
Cheers mate will see if they dye if not in the dishwasher they go  :daumenhoch:

I'd do it the other way round, dishwasher, bleach see what they are like, white is pretty sought after even if it's a wee bit dirty because they where standard on one of the burners,

Dye with Rit if they don't come out any good, blue used to be the most sought after colour.

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 09:38 PM »
Have a blue set i got of bendycat,i'll see if the tange dye if not i'll give them a blast in bleach then dishwasher,had them soaking in bleach for about a month ages ago there was no change in them.

rodriguez

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 10:08 PM »
Have a blue set i got of bendycat,i'll see if the tange dye if not i'll give them a blast in bleach then dishwasher,had them soaking in bleach for about a month ages ago there was no change in them.

If there's grease on them then the bleach won't penetrate properly and neither will the dye, more likely to come out patchy.

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 10:28 PM »
I had scrubbed them with cilit bang degreaser,even the seat i have in dyeing orange is looking a little patchy it was white kashi,but looks as if its like a wee yellow patch or 2 on it,this fooking dyeing carryon is going my head in lol need to strip red ones i tried and need to re-do them again

rodriguez

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 10:55 PM »
I had scrubbed them with cilit bang degreaser,even the seat i have in dyeing orange is looking a little patchy it was white kashi,but looks as if its like a wee yellow patch or 2 on it,this fooking dyeing carryon is going my head in lol need to strip red ones i tried and need to re-do them again

:LolLolLolLol:

Maybe the scrub with the Cillit Bang isn't removing all the the contaminants or even worse it might be part of the problem and causing the contamination depending what chemical is in it.

Offline 80s bmx

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 11:22 PM »
Don't know how dirty yours are but all I did with mine was put them in a jug with warm water and bleach.
1/2 & 1/2

Don't know if that helps

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 12:53 AM »
They came up a treat :daumenhoch:,i will try them 1/2 & 1/2 if the dye doesnt work or even the bleach would remove the dye wouldnt it if i wanted them white again. :daumenhoch:

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 08:03 PM »
Well the dye never really took to the grips,so ive had them in diluted bleach so how long do i let them sit in that then put them in the dishwasher to see if that makes any difference.

rodriguez

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 08:29 PM »
Well the dye never really took to the grips,so ive had them in diluted bleach so how long do i let them sit in that then put them in the dishwasher to see if that makes any difference.

As long as it takes for them to go white, I left a pair in undiluted bleach for a few weeks, didn't do them any harm.

Offline hokuspokus74

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 09:30 PM »
Another waiting game lol then into the dishwasher :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Can you dye tange grips?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx