gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975563 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 16, 2024, 04:50 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  Big hello to everyone here!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Big hello to everyone here!  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Mjwood85

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Big hello to everyone here!
« on: June 26, 2015, 10:13 AM »
Hey guys, didn't know we're to post this, but here goes! First of just wanted to say hi to everybody on here and say what a credit this website is to bmx past and present, cant wait to get stuck into it all! And now just a little about me, and why I love bmx! My name is Matthew wood, my first bike arrived at an age I can't even remember but I hava a few vague memories of it, it was a red and black Raleigh grifter, my dad taught me to ride the old way running along behind the bike then just letting me go!! Not long after I was in the back yard but the gate must of been open I rode down the drive onto the street and straight in front of a car, my dad heard me get knocked down and came and picked me up of the floor and i pissed all over him!! Haha! That is my first memory of riding! From there I went through a lot of used bmxs, none of them good ones, or not to my knowledge, until I was around 11 12 years old, there were a load of us by then into bmx, and I spent every night and weekend riding with my buddy's or messing with bikes, I filled my dads sheds with frames and parts, buying and selling constantly to all the local lads,(my mum still has an old notepad, with all my workings out of what I needed to sell to afford what I wanted) then eventually the day came were I had raised enough money to put half towards a new bmx with my dad!! It was a chrome diamondback venom, blue stickers, I thought it was amazing, in reality it was cheap and heavy and not the best to ride, but would get me one of the best bmx bikes I would own, a local lad had a Curtis pro, sat in his garage and wanted to swap, it was a no brainier for me! The Curtis was already around ten years old, but mint condition, and to anyone that knows these bikes they are amazing, I had that bike for years, and would go to a track at an old piece of land called maple speed constantly,I spent ever night, and weekend there for probably 5 years, before it was turned into new builds, I remember when they turned up to start building, we set a fire going and rolled the all the diesel drums onto it they had for the machines, dangerous, but kids will be kids! In my final year of school I did my work place experience at a local bike shop called ride on,  they were pretty impressed with what I could do with a bike, paid me a proper wage, and give me some new bits for the bike, telling me I could have a job there as soon as I left school, I was gutted to go back to school!! Upon leaving school, I instantly rang ride on asking for the job, but at the time, there was a foot and mouth outbreak in the uk, closing all mountain bike trails, resulting in a drop of business, and no job for me!! With no other skills I got an apprenticeship in joinery, 2 years later ride on rang me offering me the job at the shop, wanting to send me to do a wheel building course as well! Stupidly I turned down and said I had an apprenticeship, that was nearly finished!! A month later I got fired rang ride on back but the job had gone!! Still regret this now, but from there went to another construction company were I have been for twelve years! With my first wages I bought a gt pro xl!! What a bike it was to, but over the next few years my mates had all stopped riding, and eventually so did I, around ten years ago now!! I let the gt and other bikes go, I still no were the gt is and am going to go and buy it back this week!! I started lucking at bmxs again, around 5 years , bought a couple of old bikes to restore, a BH and a scorpion, but then went traveling with my girl across America clocking up 11000 miles in 3 months!!! Got home got a mortgage, had our first child, and now finally for the reason I am here, Saturday night I went to a friends house for a drink, got talking to a lad, who said he'd just bought a haro blackout and joined a BMX club(roach valley Raiders) so we walked to the garage were his bike was so I could have a look, for the first time in ages I felt like a kid, he was telling me about the bike but I couldn't stay and listen I jumped on it and took it for a blast around the block to my amazement I could still do a half decent wheelie!!  Instantly fell back in love with BMX, so am now on the hunt for one, then going to join the club and get back into racing! Sorry for the long story, but if you've read it to here can't of been to bad!! I'll get the pictures posted of my old bikes and the gt if I can buy it back this week! Peace out guys!

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Big hello to everyone here!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 11:56 AM »
Lovely story, especially the bit about getting knocked over... made me chuckle.  :LolLolLolLol:

Where you based mate ? Roch Valley Raiders is my local track.

Btw  :welcome to Rad.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Mjwood85

• Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 02:18 PM »
Lovely story, especially the bit about getting knocked over... made me chuckle.  :LolLolLolLol:

Where you based mate ? Roch Valley Raiders is my local track.

Btw  :welcome to Rad.  :daumenhoch:
haha, great stuff pal, I'm from whitworth bud, it's a lad I know called Paul who's just joined, he's only just got into BMX tho, but as soon as I saw his bike it made me feel like a kid again! Managed to pick a decent ABD team issue race frame up, but needs building up,so be a month or so tell that's ready,so if you know anyone selling any decent parts for it let me know! In the mean time I'll try and get my old bike back, be ideal for getting back into riding and getting the old fittness back!! Think I'm going to pop down to see the track Saturday with Paul. He said he thinks a lot of the lads are racing in Blackpool tho.

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 02:50 PM »
If you're looking to build a new school race bike you're probably favourite signing up to bmxtalk.  :daumenhoch:

http://forums.bmxtalk.com/

If you're looking to build an old school bike this is the place to be but you'll need a site supporter tag to buy and sell on here.  :daumenhoch:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,164954.0.html

Only a tenner a year and gets you a free invite to Britain's biggest Old School Bmx weekend at Milton Keynes on the 22nd & 23rd August... now you can't say fairer than that.   ;)

Heywood's a tidy track nowadays and plenty of helpful folk knocking about to help you out if needed... plenty of little toe rags down there too.  :D

If you're on facebook join Renegade Bmx Crew... a lot of local middle aged folk who ride bmx. They meet at local tracks and go on roadtrips to other tracks throughout the summer.Good set of lads and very helpful too.  :daumenhoch:

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Mjwood85

• Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 03:55 PM »
If you're looking to build a new school race bike you're probably favourite signing up to bmxtalk.  :daumenhoch:

http://forums.bmxtalk.com/

If you're looking to build an old school bike this is the place to be but you'll need a site supporter tag to buy and sell on here.  :daumenhoch:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,164954.0.html

Only a tenner a year and gets you a free invite to Britain's biggest Old School Bmx weekend at Milton Keynes on the 22nd & 23rd August... now you can't say fairer than that.   ;)

Heywood's a tidy track nowadays and plenty of helpful folk knocking about to help you out if needed... plenty of little toe rags down there too.  :D

If you're on facebook join Renegade Bmx Crew... a lot of local middle aged folk who ride bmx. They meet at local tracks and go on roadtrips to other tracks throughout the summer.Good set of lads and very helpful too.  :daumenhoch:
thanks buddy!! I'll sign up to it.  Yeh I do fancy a new school BMX for everyday use, but my heart certainly is with old and mid school bikes, but I plan on restoring them really, would ride them but only round the streets, don't want to be giving them death! My next post was going to be what the SST was for, but now you've explained so I'll get that paid! Yeh I'll look them up on Facebook. So what do you ride??

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 04:02 PM »
I've just sold a new school Freeagent Limo due to dislocating my right shoulder last year then doing the same to my left shoulder this year.  :idiot2:
Other than that check out the me and my bikes section to see my rides.  :daumenhoch:

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Mjwood85

• Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 07:55 PM »
I've just sold a new school Freeagent Limo due to dislocating my right shoulder last year then doing the same to my left shoulder this year.  :idiot2:
Other than that check out the me and my bikes section to see my rides.  :daumenhoch:
love free agent limos, good luck with the shoulders!! Haha! Will do, dopey question but how do I look at your bikes? When I click your name it sends me to your profile summary? Cheers

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 08:02 PM »
Great intro and pretty much sums up most of us on here. Welcome to your second childhood bud  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 08:09 PM »
Hiya Matt, welcome to RAD, great intro.  :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 08:10 PM »
love free agent limos, good luck with the shoulders!! Haha! Will do, dopey question but how do I look at your bikes? When I click your name it sends me to your profile summary? Cheers
Not sure but maybe you can't view em cos you're not a site supporter. Certain areas of the forum aren't accessible to non sst holders... dunno which though.  :-\

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Mjwood85

• Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 08:54 PM »
Cheers everyone!!!!

griff

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 09:09 PM »
Certain areas of the forum aren't accessible to non sst holders... dunno which though.  :-\

Nick - as long as you register you can see the whole site*, whether you have a SST or not - is just that you can't post in sales threads without one

Welcome to  :radbmxsmilie: Matt  :daumenhoch:

* well apart from the secret hidden mod section where we keep all the info about the secret warehouses full of NOS parts at 1980s prices  :teef:

In2bmx

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 09:09 PM »
 :welcome to Rad , Matt  :daumenhoch:  enjoy ...

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 09:12 PM »
Certain areas of the forum aren't accessible to non sst holders... dunno which though.  :-\

* well apart from the secret hidden mod section where we keep all the info about the secret warehouses full of NOS parts at 1980s prices  :teef:
:yahoo_silent:

"WWG1WGA"

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 09:17 PM »
There you go Matt... click on forum near the top of the page and you should find everything there.   :daumenhoch:

"WWG1WGA"

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 09:51 PM »
 :welcome to  :radbmxsmilie:  :daumenhoch:

Great read and interesting how you got into BMX. You will get hooked again.

Offline oldscool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 09:56 AM »
 :welcome to  :radbmxsmilie:
If in doubt flat out.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Welcome!  |  Welcome  |  Big hello to everyone here!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx