gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975597 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 08, 2024, 07:00 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Printing your own decals?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Printing your own decals?  (Read 1264 times)

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Printing your own decals?
« on: May 09, 2015, 04:05 PM »
Anybody had a go at printing your own decals?  If so what type of sticker paper did you use and is there any special methods that need to be done to get decent quality, weather proof decals?

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Printing your own decals?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 05:44 PM »
i've done it, i used white glossy sticker paper to do this.

once printed i sprayed it with clear laquer to water proof it. i've also used the clear glossy sticker paper, it's ok on a white background but not too good on a coloured frame. it does look ok on a chrome frame as it gives it a mettalic look about it. this was done with the clear paper.

Offline EDBANGER

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 06:05 PM »
Where'd you get your sticker paper from bud?

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 07:40 PM »
i used this stuff
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHITE-A4-HIGH-GLOSS-INKJET-SELF-ADHESIVE-STICKER-VINYL-NOT-PAPER-10-SHEETS-/131347752311?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e94efa577
once i had the designs done i printed them out on plain paper to get the sizing right and once i was happy i printed it on the sticker paper. a couple of light coats of spray clear laquer and it's done. if your gonna use them on a coloured frame you will either have to cut around the decal or try and print the background the same colour as the frame. i can be quite difficult to get the same colour as it will probably look different on a screen compared to the print.

Offline Peanut

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 11:21 AM »
I did a similar thing with a replica skateboard, though mine was a combination of stencils, rattle cans and laser printer water transfer paper.

basically recreate the same print process used to make the artwork laying down colours individually, create the artwork on the old computer and print out stencils the right size, cut them out with a scalpel and spaymount them on, spray with rattle can and build up. For more intricate details like the black print this out on the transfer paper (very similar to the water slides in airfix models) slide on and when dry give it a clear coat.

Offline kowalski74

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 01:13 PM »
I did a similar thing with a replica skateboard, though mine was a combination of stencils, rattle cans and laser printer water transfer paper.

basically recreate the same print process used to make the artwork laying down colours individually, create the artwork on the old computer and print out stencils the right size, cut them out with a scalpel and spaymount them on, spray with rattle can and build up. For more intricate details like the black print this out on the transfer paper (very similar to the water slides in airfix models) slide on and when dry give it a clear coat.

Nice job on that hawk peanut, fancy knocking me up a natas mini? They have gone through the roof recently

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Printing your own decals?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx