gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975563 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 16, 2024, 12:20 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Forum Sales, Site Supporter Tags and how to fund MK....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Forum Sales, Site Supporter Tags and how to fund MK....  (Read 20716 times)

Offline Hmoon27

• Look Back
  • There's only one path to follow....
  • Rated:
Re: Forum Sales, Site Supporter Tags and how to fund MK....
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2016, 03:56 PM »
Griff, I'm not up on this malarkey , but is there a way to allow sales on Facebook , but restricted to only those that have a site supporters tag ? That way , you can raise a bit of cash through the site and enable sales on both platforms ?
 Maybe this would encourage people to come on here ( to initially register for St etc.)and a tenner isn't much to ask ,to open up another sales avenue (  Fbook )?

griff

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2016, 04:09 PM »
Griff, I'm not up on this malarkey , but is there a way to allow sales on Facebook , but restricted to only those that have a site supporters tag ?

Not that I'm aware of Mark

you could set up ANOTHER group on FB (like we need another one of those  :D ) and only invite people you know are tag holders, but this would mean -

- you'd need to manually add people into the new group (and as you know rad usernames very rarely match FB names). This was attempted briefly a good while ago but didn't get anywhere, especially once people started pissing about giving out the wrong name
- you'd need to keep on top of everyone's tag status to ensure that they remained live tag holders
- you'd struggle to get new members if the group was closed and if open people would be reluctant to post because they're posting at work/out of sight of mrs etc etc

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2016, 04:48 PM »
It's looking that many of us are definitely on board with the wristband for SSTs idea ( for the D and D and Hog Roast )  :yahoo_silent:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

rodriguez

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2016, 04:50 PM »
In my opinion time has come to separate the forum and the financing of MK.

MK could be run a long the following lines people pay for it 6 months in advance giving the organisers plenty of time to organise it and people time to book their holidays.  Take a copy of your paypal payment receipt with you and you receive a wrist band for the D&D and a voucher for the spit roast, job done enjoy yourself.

The forum could become free using advertising, they've become so advanced the ads hardly interfere with the enjoyment of the forums, most forums have gone down this route now because of pressure from other platforms that are free to use and you don't have to muck about with subs and the associated administration.

Just food for thought long live the forum and MK  :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2016, 05:23 PM »

The forum could become free using advertising, they've become so advanced the ads hardly interfere with the enjoyment of the forums, most forums have gone down this route now because of pressure from other platforms that are free to use and you don't have to muck about with subs and the associated administration.

You've put this suggestion forward several times now Paul
if you want the forum to live long, then shifting the platform across to a board that has adverts on will (apart from looking crap in MY opinion) mean that we risk losing loads of members. By far the biggest kick in the bollocks the forum ever got was the crash which caused everyone to have to re-register again. If we combine the increased admin with a 'new' site full of ads then that potentially makes the place less attractive for many people, well myself anyway.
I understand that you haven't been to MK (fine) also note that you don't have a SST (fine too, you're still very welcome to post here). No-one's asking for your money, but I don't understand why you're so passionate about trying to separate the forum from its biggest annual event. My only guess is because you haven't been to MK, then you would see how MK represents everything that's great about this community - not just on the internets but in real life. I strongly recommend that now the dates have been posted that you do whatever you can to attend, like I said before I can guarantee you a very warm welcome and a weekend seeing the best bikes this community has to offer  :daumenhoch:

Offline benno

• Team Moderator
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2016, 05:47 PM »
Just a quick note about the wristband thing ,
I reckon the best way to distribute them is to have a tent set up between say 10am
and closing at 6pm just before the lake ride , for people to collect there wristbands if they are are a SST or buy one for a tenner if the're not .
I know it would mean it being Manned all day , but all the mods and admin could do a couple of hours each to dish them out .
Just push the fact big time that they have between 10 and 6 to pick them up , or they can fook off 👍🏼
It comes out of the ground!

rodriguez

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2016, 05:59 PM »

if you want the forum to live long, then shifting the platform across to a board that has adverts on will (apart from looking crap in MY opinion) mean that we risk losing loads of members. By far the biggest kick in the bollocks the forum ever got was the crash which caused everyone to have to re-register again. If we combine the increased admin with a 'new' site full of ads then that potentially makes the place less attractive for many people, well myself anyway.
I understand that you haven't been to MK (fine) also note that you don't have a SST (fine too, you're still very welcome to post here). No-one's asking for your money, but I don't understand why you're so passionate about trying to separate the forum from its biggest annual event. My only guess is because you haven't been to MK, then you would see how MK represents everything that's great about this community - not just on the internets but in real life. I strongly recommend that now the dates have been posted that you do whatever you can to attend, like I said before I can guarantee you a very warm welcome and a weekend seeing the best bikes this community has to offer  :daumenhoch:

Well you asked for suggestions and I give a couple.

You've raised the point I don't have an SST again, if I pay for an SST and give the same opinion will you be any less annoyed, I doubt it.   I might've chosen not to have one this year but I dare say I've still paid a fair few more than you and a few of the other people who are so keen to criticise my point of view.

We'll have to agree to differ about how forums look that use advertising but I do take your point about the negative impact a forum going down can have.

For me the forum is more important than MK, ultimately I'd like to see a way that both the forum and the MK event can survive and prosper.

If I do make MK you can be sure I'll have paid my SST.

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2016, 06:02 PM »
Remove restrictions based on SST and open up the sales and wanted section, see if traffic increases...this itself will tell if it has worked or not.

If people are happy to voluntarily pay an SST, you'll also see this when the time comes for them to renew their tag.

The wristband is a great idea, what you don't want to do is create an 'us' and 'them' scenario at MK, one of the many things I picked up on when I was there was how many people heard abut it through the grapevine on the day. I appreciate having something that SST's can benefit from is a great idea to but try not to create something that makes visitors feel ostracized.

Take MK back to basics if need-be
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Offline Hmoon27

• Look Back
  • There's only one path to follow....
  • Rated:
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2016, 06:04 PM »
Most of these ideas could be improvised, but I guess the main thing is the lads that are doing the ' behind the scenes' stuff?
Nick , John , Rich , Ed ( does being jovial, rosy cheeked @ stoned count :LolLolLolLol: ;)) etc etc ?
I'm sure it will get sorted one way or another :daumenhoch:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2016, 06:15 PM »

You've raised the point I don't have an SST again, if I pay for an SST and give the same opinion will you be any less annoyed, I doubt it.   I might've chosen not to have one this year but I dare say I've still paid a fair few more than you and a few of the other people who are so keen to criticise my point of view.

We'll have to agree to differ about how forums look that use advertising but I do take your point about the negative impact a forum going down can have.

For me the forum is more important than MK, ultimately I'd like to see a way that both the forum and the MK event can survive and prosper.

You're in Ireland aren't you Paul??

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

rodriguez

« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2016, 06:18 PM »

Northern Ireland Dan  :daumenhoch:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2016, 06:21 PM »

Thought so, so quite unlikely you're going to make the trip to MK, so maybe it's resentment that your ÂŁ10 would go to help pay for an event you're probably not going to attend??

That's what it looks like?

rodriguez

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2016, 06:47 PM »

Thought so, so quite unlikely you're going to make the trip to MK, so maybe it's resentment that you're ÂŁ10 would go to help pay for an event you're probably not going to attend??

That's what it looks like?

Probably does but it isn't although that would be the obvious conclusion to make.

I paid the SST for 5-6 years before without quibble or moan, the forum was buzzing, so I didn't mind paying it as I always regarded it as a contribution the best BMX forum on the internet.

In recent times the forum slowed down dramatically so I have questioned what am I contributing to?   A forum that I use which is slow or an event I don't go.

Most of the people who go to MK don't even contribute much to the forum as far as I can see.

I'm more of a forum user than a ride out attender or MK goer (obviously) so as I've said before I care about the forum more than MK.

As my opinion rankles with so many I won't give it again although I hope whatever is decided improves the forum.

Offline mrs_stidds

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2016, 06:58 PM »
Remove restrictions based on SST and open up the sales and wanted section, see if traffic increases...this itself will tell if it has worked or not.

If people are happy to voluntarily pay an SST, you'll also see this when the time comes for them to renew their tag.

The wristband is a great idea, what you don't want to do is create an 'us' and 'them' scenario at MK, one of the many things I picked up on when I was there was how many people heard abut it through the grapevine on the day. I appreciate having something that SST's can benefit from is a great idea to but try not to create something that makes visitors feel ostracized.

Take MK back to basics if need-be

I don't know how to separate a 'quote' to answer each part so will do it in one....

Agree with first sentance in part - free up sales on here BUT stop sales again on FB (already too much scrolling needed on FB this morning to get past sales).

Totally agree with second point - I have always been an SST but mainly because I attend MK and want to contribute.

The wristband is the way to go imo - changing it for each year so people can't re-use them over and over, therefore the SSTs will be paid.  Non SSTs should pay 'on the day' - like I said earlier, easy enough to set up a table to issue both SST bands and charge/issue non-SST.  As soon as MK16 is over then MK17 bands could be organised and then posted out in advance (as someone said maybe in the Blue Peter style).

However, whether people hear it through the grapevine or not, they should still contribute in some way.  I know most of what goes into making MK happen and it is a lot of blood, sweat and guts, together with preparations starting in September for the following year.  Being behind the bar and also collecting empties, you get to hear a lot of conversations and it was dissappointing at MK14 to hear people talking about taking the piss by rocking up last minute and drinking all the free beer etc - these same people didn't even donate anything in the big tubs that are forefront on the bar.  It seems that these people are either not even on the site or just locals that see everyone arrive.  I don't think there is any 'us and them' so to speak, not from Admin/mods/members anyway.

One final comment for Griff - going by MK14 and the D&D T-shirt response - so many people asked where they could buy one that I think it would be a good idea to do some more - maybe too sh0rt notice for this year, but worth thinking about for MK17.

Just my thoughts, if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 07:01 PM by mrs_stidds »

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2016, 07:19 PM »
Why not allow non SST have a limited hits to view the wanted..for sale..sold pages.
Only allowed to look at the "main page only" to what listed for sale only.
They cannot click open the link to "view" listed items for sale from SST members prices sold plus not allowed to send a private message till a SST. :chin:
They then get a pop up to say need SST to see this page with a link to join..
Just an idea into tempt new members in to see what they are missing.

I often see more guest viewers than members most days.. :coolsmiley:

:radbmxsmilie:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 07:22 PM by Ady »
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2016, 07:49 PM »
I reckon the best way to distribute them is to have a tent set up between say 10am
and closing at 6pm just before the lake ride , for people to collect there wristbands if they are are a SST or buy one for a tenner if the're not .
I know it would mean it being Manned all day , but all the mods and admin could do a couple of hours each to dish them out .
Just push the fact big time that they have between 10 and 6 to pick them up , or they can fook off 👍🏼

Simple answer is Mike , let JT, Gaz and myself distribute/sell them from JT's stand .... it is manned by one of us from 8.30am through until 5/6 .  I have done it in the past with mugs, t shirts , decals etc etc  This way it free's up you mods to party i mean get on with your hard work  :D

That's pending JT has a Stall this year and if you trust us with all your cash !!   :D
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline adenough

• 540 Air
  • Buzz Killington...
  • Rated:
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2016, 08:37 PM »
Wristband or Hand Stamp is definitely a good idea. Hand stamp might avoid wristbands being shared around and avoid the postage issue but implementing it over the weekend might be tricky.
i don't think the wrist bands are removable, I think you have to cut them off :daumenhoch:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2016, 09:14 PM »
shifting the platform across to a board that has adverts on will (apart from looking crap in MY opinion) mean that we risk losing loads of members. By far the biggest kick in the bollocks the forum ever got was the crash which caused everyone to have to re-register again. If we combine the increased admin with a 'new' site full of ads then that potentially makes the place less attractive for many people, well myself anyway.
Just for information, The Bmxmuseum.com has had non invasive ads running on the site for a couple of years now. It is still as busy on there as it has ever been, and I have never heard or seen anyone complain about them.

I'm sure Gary, the site owner, would be happy to advise on how it works, if you ask  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline adenough

• 540 Air
  • Buzz Killington...
  • Rated:
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2016, 09:25 PM »
shifting the platform across to a board that has adverts on will (apart from looking crap in MY opinion) mean that we risk losing loads of members. By far the biggest kick in the bollocks the forum ever got was the crash which caused everyone to have to re-register again. If we combine the increased admin with a 'new' site full of ads then that potentially makes the place less attractive for many people, well myself anyway.
Just for information, The Bmxmuseum.com has had non invasive ads running on the site for a couple of years now. It is still as busy on there as it has ever been, and I have never heard or seen anyone complain about them.

I'm sure Gary, the site owner, would be happy to advise on how it works, if you ask  :daumenhoch:
i have to agree, hardly noticeable.

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2016, 09:31 PM »

Simple answer is Mike , let JT, Gaz and myself distribute/sell them from JT's stand .... it is manned by one of us from 8.30am through until 5/6 .  I have done it in the past with mugs, t shirts , decals etc etc  This way it free's up you mods to party i mean get on with your hard work  :D

That's pending JT has a Stall this year and if you trust us with all your cash !!   :D

Sounds like a great idea Joff. Can't wait for it this year! Better get cracking on my 2 builds  :D

griff

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2016, 10:22 PM »

I want annoyed by your comments, just struggling to understand why you're trying to push ads so hard and separate MK from the forum
I certainly wasn't trying to give you a hard time about not having a tag (by the same token I'd appreciate you not making assumptions about how much I may have put in the Rad pot)
As for the 'forum vs MK', they are as important as each other in my eyes - without either I think the other would struggle to survive tbh - look how far away it is & see how many people are already buzzing about it (not just here, but on the Rad FB group and other groups too) it is by far the best advert for the forum and the highlight of many of our calendars.

I sincerely hope you & the rest of our members in NI make it over and have a fantastic weekend  :daumenhoch:

rodriguez

« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2016, 12:47 AM »
I want annoyed by your comments, just struggling to understand why you're trying to push ads so hard and separate MK from the forum
I certainly wasn't trying to give you a hard time about not having a tag (by the same token I'd appreciate you not making assumptions about how much I may have put in the Rad pot)
As for the 'forum vs MK', they are as important as each other in my eyes - without either I think the other would struggle to survive tbh - look how far away it is & see how many people are already buzzing about it (not just here, but on the Rad FB group and other groups too) it is by far the best advert for the forum and the highlight of many of our calendars.

I sincerely hope you & the rest of our members in NI make it over and have a fantastic weekend  :daumenhoch:

I'm not trying to separate the forum from MK John, MK is the forum event, however, separating the financing of MK from the forum is a totally different subject altogether.

I'll say it again I hope they both survive and prosper and I was suggesting a way this could be achieved in a thread where suggestions are supposedly welcome.

My opinions and suggestions may be totally wrong only time will tell.

Thanks again for your offer of a hearty welcome at MK   :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 01:05 AM by rodriguez »

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2016, 11:41 AM »
On the subject of selling, sell some stuff on the forum Radsters!

No parts = no builds :daumenhoch:

Offline Jono

• Look Back
  • RADBury 1st May (Bank Holiday Sunday)
  • Rated:
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2016, 05:23 PM »
Voting bump
Jono

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2016, 05:44 PM »
To be honest, without Tapatalk, I can't add any pics to any forum thread, so IF I wanted to sell on here to a SST holder, I'd break the rules by not adding pics to sale items.

So, FB is the only option for me. Ironic really, considering I've battled to shut the FB page down for so long.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Forum Sales, Site Supporter Tags and how to fund MK....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx