gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975601 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 10, 2024, 02:19 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  L2B Charity Ride Build
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: L2B Charity Ride Build  (Read 1846 times)

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
L2B Charity Ride Build
« on: February 29, 2016, 11:40 AM »
So as many of you are aware a few hardy  :radbmxsmilie: ers are entering the London to Brighton bike ride on 11th September this year. 54 miles with some serious hill climbs. Any other takers btw???  :)

I was considering using my WHEELS Expert for the ride, but am now wondering whether I'd be better off using a 'survivor' frame/build which could then be restored in my usual manner after the event. With this in mind I have hopefully sourced a suitable frame (no names yet as it hasn't actually arrived and I don't want to jinx it..!)

I am therefore gathering some suitable parts and thought this could make for an interesting thread. I'm looking for input and ideas for a RELIABLE and comfy build that will get me all of the way to Brighton. All input and ideas appreciated.

What I have in my stash and have earmarked to be used include a NOS original 80's red anno Tange 125 headset, a tidy Pat. Pending TufNeck stem, set of Bottema M-2 race forks, pair of WHEELS bars which are off being rechromed, Shimano DX seatpost, jam buttie flex fighter and seatpost clamp, Sugino BB and a 180 Hanabishi OPC.

I thought the Bottema's would provide extra strength, same for the DX seatpost. Flex fighter too. I wanted to use a new headset for the same reason; reliability.

I opted for the Hanabishi OPC due to simplicity and I thought the 180 length might help on the hilly sections. Thoughts! I also have 44T (Sugino) or 46T Yes Racing chainring options. Again, thoughts?

I have a very tidy black pair of ACS Stoker pedals which I will get refinished after the event to suit the final build colour scheme.

Wheels... well as the build will be primarily white and red I am either considering nabbing the red skinnies off my Mini (complete with Aero rear discs) or possibly reverting to full on 80's BMX form and going with a pair of early 80's alloy hubbed red Skyways which I have already. I am leaning more towards the Skyway option at the minute. Freewheel size is also something I am deliberating over.

Seat and grips; undecided. I have a few sets of comfy red grips, including A'ME, Shrooms and Uni Hand Grenade II's. I will definitely be using a modern padded mountain bike seat, most likely with a padded BMX seat cover.

No idea on brakes yet but will source them to suit my final wheel choice.

I'll have to add a race plate with some event stickers also, plus a means of carrying a water bottle, spare inner tube and a few tools etc....

Not sure on tyre choice either... :( Might even go for cheaper modern options for smoother road riding.

Anybody got any thoughts or input??
Funking in your space since 1984.

griff

Re: L2B Charity Ride Build
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 11:52 AM »
I did it on a haro freestyler (bad idea tbh) which had newer sealed bearing skyways
Actually the bearings worked well, but weight and stopping power can be an issue (new school pads were smoking at bottom of the one hill when the lights changed)

would recommend that you get a front brake on if you can - I thought Rob was going to gob it on one greasy downhill section after Fanny's Farm
go for a smoother tyre so you roll easier
padded seat cover was a very good idea, as were padded shorts under my other shorts
I had 180mm cranks and 44:16 gearing - ok for the flat or v gentle/short uphill blasts, but forget about doing anything other than push up some of the hills! we saw people get off mountain bikes or using gearing so low they may as well have got off

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 11:59 AM »
Great info on the gearing and crank length. Thanks  :daumenhoch:

Will look at the brake set up further also. I need to check the Skyways over thoroughly before I decide on those; any brake block suggestions? Did any of your team suffer technical failures (apart from excessive pie-related issues of course...)

griff

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 01:22 PM »
I had new school squeaky clear pads, for coming down some of those hills you might as well use crayons instead of OG pads :teef:

no technical failiures from our group that I can remember, the main reason it took us 8.5 hours was waiting for Spike who'd done fook all training - I can tell you it was hugely satisfying trundling past spandex road warriors fixing punctures after around 10 minutes in the saddle  :2funny:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 01:42 PM »
You need to throw out all thoughts of old school trickery, the DX post will be no good what so ever as it's quite small (low) try and get a nice long post so you can sit comfortably without bending your knees up too much.

Brakes?  anything really but go with some good new school pads

Wheels?  I wouldn't bother with Tuffs unless they're new ones with sealed hubs, I'd go for spokes and sealed hubs if you can so you can make the most of coasting

yes agree with John on the padded seat and padded cycling  Sh_orts  :daumenhoch:

Take a spare chain, a 15m spanner and some allen keys.  a set of grips for loose headsets could be a good thing as well.

Tyres? I used cheap Duro comp IIIs

I did it on this

:daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 01:43 PM by pickle »

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 01:54 PM »
Some great input guys - thanks a lot  8)

I'm not exactly the tallest so not massively bothered by having a high seat, and the frame I am hoping to use is extra long. The DX post currently on my Expert is pretty high for me tbh. I was more concerned about bending or snapping a weaker one!

I will start a separate build thread once I get hold of the frame and start putting it all together. Hadn't really considered taking a spare chain but probably a good idea. I'll fit my usual ROE Whale Tails to eliminate any chain tightening issues too. I guess grip donuts might be a good plan also. I think I still have a set of those giant inch thick ones in red somewhere.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 01:57 PM »
a set of gloves is a must  :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 02:01 PM »
definitely!

managed to find a pic of the 'mildly adapted' Haro before its journey

check out the seatpost water bottle clamp thingy ;)

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 02:04 PM »

I was just sat here thinking exactly the same thing  :daumenhoch: (although if I've just finished a 5 week trip offshore beforehand it might already be too late!! Ha!)

rodriguez

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 02:11 PM »
Do some research into seating position as your body will thank you for it and more importantly won't tire out as quickly on the ride.  Easy way to get the seat height is to sit on seat on seat straight leg and your heal on the pedal, allows legs to be slightly bent when you've the balls of your feet on the pedals when you ride.  You can buy 22.2 alloy tubing on ebay and make a post.

Padded shorts are also a must.

Offline Monk_Wally_Honk

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 03:51 PM »
Gertcha!

monkian

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 11:11 AM »
You might want to think about having bear-trap / caged pedals instead of studded platform types. I went with XC-II's. On both the rides we did it rained like a mo-fo but thankfully my footing always felt secure.

rodriguez

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 01:27 PM »
Setting up a bike for the like of this is definitely function over form.

Three piece cranks would be lighter and you could attach straps to the pedals, so upward motion to assist the downward motion.

As for wheel and tyre choice on skinnies are the way to go and here's a couple of options for tyres.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tioga-Power-Block-20x1-3-8-BMX-Tyre-/252285136806?hash=item3abd5dafa6:g:2twAAOSwll1WvfqU

or something with a puncture guard, cheaper and more OS looking

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schwalbe-20-Tyre-37-451-20x1-3-8-HS110-Kevlar-shopper-buggy-etc-/201354245796?hash=item2ee1a5f6a4:g:GNwAAOSwcu5UNN9P

Saddle I have something like this even with the padded s horts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Selle-Italia-Turbo-1980-Classic-Bike-Seat-Saddle/381151438579?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107092241%26meid%3Dbfba5c2748714254be73875f26bf4cfc%26pid%3D100034%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D161993674535

Offline dinglem

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 01:35 PM »
This is all great stuff guys - please keep the ideas and suggestions coming  8)

I have plenty of training time to get the build finished and tweak accordingly so I can try various set-ups and see what works best.

I opted for the OPC due to reliability really, as well as the 180 length (plus I'd been hunting for a Hanabishi for years...!)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  L2B Charity Ride Build

gfxgfx
gfx gfx