gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975551 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 10, 2024, 11:03 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1985 GJS Freestyler
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 1985 GJS Freestyler  (Read 23310 times)

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
Re: 1985 GJS Freestyler
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2016, 11:56 PM »
Those bars are stunning!!! Really need to get my ultra over there  :)
They're not fookin miracle workers you know  :teef:
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2016, 11:59 PM »
Andy........
This thing looks totally amazing pal  "wantit"
As ever your unbelievable attention to detail has blown me away, literally dribbling to see it finished

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2016, 12:50 AM »
Those bars are stunning!!! Really need to get my ultra over there  :)

Their work is absolutely spot on Clint. My old Hutch pro racer (now Dan's) was done by them, and is probably the best chrome job I've ever seen.

It is gorge, if I sell everything, this is the only keeper.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline PHIL9HUF

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2016, 12:58 AM »
 explosion
Been waiting to see it Andy and  it looks awesome mate  :4_17_5:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2016, 08:55 AM »
Quality parts, this will look awesome  :4_17_5:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2016, 02:36 PM »
Stunning build so far Andy and can't wait to see it finished.

I Always wanted a GJS Freestyler but never found one, square stays are much cooler too.

Adam
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2016, 12:35 PM »
This is great.  :) I love seeing different stuff.  :) I too can't wait to see it finished.  :daumenhoch:

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2016, 11:34 PM »
Part 3

I did briefly think about fitting Redline 400 or 401 cranks, but decided on a set of Bullseye gen 2's as they are my favourite cranks. I picked these up on ebay, and they were in a terrible state. Original paint almost completely peeled off with pretty bad surface rust (no photos unfortunately). After a lot of sanding and polishing to get them prepped, Leigh metal polishers did an excellent job of re-chroming them. The decals were NOS from bmx museum

I got the powerdisc from Lee nitrohopper. It had been anodised? in matt black. I tried to strip it using oven pride and then caustic soda, but with no luck. I sent it down to Hockley chrome in Southend, and they managed to strip it with some difficulty and then re-chrome it. It's turned out great - Thanks Lee & the team at Hockley.

I wanted to keep to my favourite crank & chain ring combination, so bought this NOS Pro Neck chain ring

NOS Campagnolo chain ring bolts

The shot gun II seat was NOS from bmx museum

and I had these Elina PDNP seat guts on another shot gun seat i'd bought a while back. A quick polish and they've come up a treat

Seat post is Hutch and was bought as NOS, although I think it's been re-chromed at some point. Lovely finish to it though

I was given a white Hutch seat clamp as part of the deal on the frame & forks. I stripped it and had it re-chromed at Hockley

Ant factory pilot suggested that for brakes I should use something else instead of MX 900/1000's, and he suggested 880's as they would be bang on era correct for a 1985 build. The word must have got round that I was looking for some, and I got an email from Del offering me a set. They were in great condition but white, so I got the oven pride out, stripped them and gave them a polish. They came out looking great in no time

For levers I was going to stick with trusty tech 3's, but again ant said that tech 4's were the lever to have in '85. He was right of course. He kindly gave me a set of mint '85 levers that had been fitted to his Aero Reflex. The levers had been NOS prior to them being fitted. The only issue was that they were white, so it was out with the oven pride and polishing mop again

For brake pads, I wanted something a bit different to the standard dia compe/tuff pad option. I put up a wanted ad for some Mathauser finned pads, and one kind chap said he had a scabby pair that I could have for free. I thought he was being far too generous, so I sent him $50 to cover shipping from the US and to say thanks. They were structurally sound but absolutely filthy

but with a LOT of time and effort, they've scrubbed up really well

The original plan was to use pink dia compe cables. Trying to find any dated 1985 was a big challenge. I had a few NOS '86 ones, and everyone else only seemed to have '86's and later. There was some doubt that they were even available in pink in '85....   I was beginning to despair, but then WINI came up trumps. Thanks Mark!

Unfortunately, the issues with the frame colour and trying to get things to match meant that the frame ended up being a few shades darker than dia compe pink. The colours did actually go pretty well together, but I wanted to keep this build as clean as possible so I had a change of mind and decided on silver cables instead. I found these beauties dated 1985 on US ebay

NOS dia compe clips and spindle ends

I still have a few parts to sort out. Am waiting on a bolt for the stem, and the grips to arrive from the US. Part 4 to follow, plus the completed build with parts list....
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 12:24 AM by dancetothedrummersbeat »

Offline insectbones

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: 1985 GJS Freestyler *updated with part 3*
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2016, 07:30 AM »
This is shaping up to be a stunning build Andy  :daumenhoch:

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2016, 08:58 AM »
Pure niceness Andy! I reckon you should paint the stamps on the calipers pink....like the RL20 II's  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline McQUEEN

• Look Back
  • I left it in the garden......
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2016, 09:03 AM »
Andy, any chance of a recessed blot on these 880s for the front? A full on freestyle detail....
When I was born, the world was a far simpler place.
It was all just cops and robbers.
And BMX.

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2016, 09:45 AM »
I'm loving this build and this thread! This will lead into pure pink loveliness  :daumenhoch:

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • AKA Swiss Tony AKA Tony DeWonderful
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2016, 10:26 AM »
Andy, any chance of a recessed blot on these 880s for the front? A full on freestyle detail....

You can get a re-pop bolt from Porkchop Andy I think ?  :daumenhoch:
"Knowledge is the acceptance of ones own ignorance." Socrates 399BC

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2016, 11:16 AM »

RE POP !!!! Andy ??  ............. Wash your mouth out Mr Factory Pilot  :D
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2016, 12:16 PM »

RE POP !!!! Andy ??  ............. Wash your mouth out Mr Factory Pilot  :D

I've talked about these with Andy before Joff .... I've never ever ever seen an original recessed bolt so they are hen's teeth sadly  :-\

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2016, 01:05 PM »
Did someone say Repop???  "wantit"

Andy, I'm loving your dedication and effort with this bike, it's an outrageously good build so far mate, you are bonkers, but that's what makes you and your bikes different.  :coolsmiley:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline factory pilot

• Team Owner
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2016, 10:32 PM »
:bump: for this amazing build thread  "wantit"
Top notch Andrew .. Love it  :4_17_5:

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2016, 11:37 PM »
Thanks Ant. This is semi built up now, but waiting on a pair of grips from Australia before i can complete the build  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 05:13 PM by dancetothedrummersbeat »

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2016, 10:37 PM »
Gonna have to fetch my sunglasses to MK Andy  8)  8)
Have an old recessed bolt kicking about too if you want it bud  :daumenhoch:

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2016, 11:21 PM »
Gonna have to fetch my sunglasses to MK Andy  8)  8)
Have an old recessed bolt kicking about too if you want it bud  :daumenhoch:

Thanks Rich, pm sent  :4_17_5:

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
Re: 1985 GJS Freestyler *finished*
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2016, 11:18 PM »
Sorry for the delay in updating the thread, but here it is. The build had stalled for a few reasons: I was originally set on fitting pink grips. I managed to get hold of some A'ME Tri's, but when I fitted them they just didn't look right. I had black Tri's, but the condition of them just wasn't good enough. I really wanted to fit something a bit more special. There was only one other option - Oakley B-2's. I had already pair on my VDC, but was determined not to take parts from it to benefit this build. I managed to get this NOS pair on Australian ebay.

Luckily the seller shipped them super quick, and fortunately they were only held up due to customs/VAT for a few days. Although NOS, the donuts were missing  :'( but luckily I knew someone who had a spare set. Thanks Rick1970  :daumenhoch:

I'd had the stem for a while. It was structurally good, but had been painted green, and needed replacement bolts

I stripped it, and Joff did a supurb bit of light resto to bring it back to it's original state

Another reason for the delay in getting this build finished was having a re-think on the pedals. After speaking to and taking advice from a few rad members, I decided to ditch the pink DX's as they weren't an original colour. I still liked the pink ones and didn't want to strip them, so I went on the search for another pair. In the end I bought 2 pairs. The first ones had been restored (badly), and the pins had worn down slightly on the outer edge. The 2nd pair I bought had been rattle canned in a radberry colour, but apart from that were structurally solid and were in very good condition. I stripped the paint and Mike (Banachek) and myself gave them some very light restoration.

I had a choice of both silver or pink brake cables on this build. My original choice was pink, but then thought silver would be better to avoid any clash with the frame. I built up the bike using the silver cables, but just didn't look right. The front end by the bars was too silver with not enough colour going on. I decided to go back to pink, and it was the right thing to do  :)

So after being semi built up for a few weeks, it was touch and go whether i'd get this finished in time for MK, but i'm delighted and relieved that it's done. It's been a real labour of love, and I dread to think how many hours I've agonised over trying to get the colour balance right, despite there only being 3 colours.

Thanks to everyone who has helped with this build, but in particular i'd like to give a massive thanks to: Superbike Dan, Del, Joff and Mike for their advice and sympathetic resto skills on the stem and pedals, Ant for all the hours of discussion over this build and Carl for his advice.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 11:21 PM by dancetothedrummersbeat »

Offline bodamus

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2016, 11:23 PM »
Pure quality :4_17_5: but you forgot one thing some crud plugs for your Oakley grips ;)

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2016, 11:26 PM »
Stunning that Andy. Can't wait to see it in the flesh  :4_17_5:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2016, 11:28 PM »
Wow!!! It's just perfect Andy!  :4_17_5: I'm out of words!  :bow:

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2016, 11:37 PM »
Fookin absolutely mint Andy  explosion  "wantit"
You gotta be well chuffed with that bugger  :slayer:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  1985 GJS Freestyler

gfxgfx
gfx gfx