gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975542 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: Paulo2 May 06, 2024, 08:46 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What's a gen 2 build likely to cost?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What's a gen 2 build likely to cost?  (Read 7896 times)

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
Re: What's a gen 2 build likely to cost?
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2016, 10:51 PM »
Thanks Dan. Don't want to be too critical/bitchy as we were all new to this game once. My T/A was first built up with old and a few mid school bits as I thought they looked good and looked like parts I remembered from bitd (I used Haro fusion dx's instead of Shimano/Victor ones, and my GT layback was a 90's logo one). At least they were new/good condition though to be inkeeping with the state of the frame/forks. if you're going to spend a lot of cash on a bike, at least put some nice looking parts on it, be it appropriate repops or originals. That seat post - what a state. All fur coat and no knickers. I've said it before Dan, but I love your builds. A good mix of original and repop parts where appropriate for each. Your Torker for example - A great idea to fit OG alloy hubbed skyways. They really make it pop and give that og feel, where as the seat/grips are basically the same as originals. You really wouldn't know unless you were scruitinising it for a show  :4_17_5:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2016, 11:03 PM »
Thanks Dan. Don't want to be too critical/bitchy as we were all new to this game once. My T/A was first built up with old and a few mid school bits as I thought they looked good and looked like parts I remembered from bitd (I used Haro fusion dx's instead of Shimano/Victor ones, and my GT layback was a 90's logo one). At least they were new/good condition though to be inkeeping with the state of the frame/forks. if you're going to spend a lot of cash on a bike, at least put some nice looking parts on it, be it appropriate repops or originals. That seat post - what a state. All fur coat and no knickers. I've said it before Dan, but I love your builds. A good mix of original and repop parts where appropriate for each. Your Torker for example - A great idea to fit OG alloy hubbed skyways. They really make it pop and give that og feel, where as the seat/grips are basically the same as originals. You really wouldn't know unless you were scruitinising it for a show  :4_17_5:

I know what you mean about bring bitchy, and everyone deserves a chance, but he's been collecting for at least 18 months, and recognises a pedigree frame set when he sees one. My biggest problem with it is, why not register on the forum and see how good bike builders build amazing bikes, regardless of budget or OG or repop parts. Instead, it's seems appropriate to chuck a bike together with whatever's lying about, make a video, and post it on a FB group with 4 and a half thousand members pointing out what a layback is.  :wtf:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2016, 11:42 PM »
A Profileist stem and a Kashia seat. ???
I wouldn't mind but they both have their name clearly stamped or stickered on em... it's not hard is it.  :uglystupid2:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2016, 11:51 PM »
A Profileist stem and a Kashia seat. ???
I wouldn't mind but they both have their name clearly stamped or stickered on em... it's not hard is it.  :uglystupid2:
[/quote

It reminds me of Shallow Hal.  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Hmoon27

• Look Back
  • There's only one path to follow....
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2016, 07:16 AM »
This thread is the epitome of why people don't post/join rad ffs
Most people I know who don't come on here ( good lads , nice bikes/collections ), say the same thing ' can't be arsed mate, too many people thinking their the bollocks, proper clicky'
I agree with the fact that the bikes look pony , but the lad actually seems ok ( I've dealt with him and spoken to him on the phone) . From what I can see , he's just a young lad that's new to the game and is getting excited , going at it full bore? He's seen all the facebook bollocks and thinks it's the done thing?
We all started somewhere and it takes time to find your feet, my first builds were shockers , some would say similar to my current ones😀. I may be proved wrong and he is a tool, but everyone needs a chance😉
Just be happy it's so fooking hard to post pictures on here😂

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2016, 08:18 AM »
This site is very confusing when half the conversation is about FB when I don't have it and never have wanted it.

I ain't a bloody clue what alot if these threads are on about  :tumbleweed:

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2016, 10:37 AM »
I don't know what parts your going to need for this bike, put a wanted ad up, there's plenty of spares kicking about, I know I have a few!

Stuff on the forum is generally cheaper than fb or evilbay, well it is when I sell it!

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2016, 04:43 PM »
Sorry for all the digression Paul, but to try to answer your original question - how long is a piece of string. The difference between using reproduction and original dia compe calipers and levers is about £100 - £300, depending on the condition of the originals. I reckon you could get it looking nice by using a mix of original and reproduction parts, but I reckon it's going to cost at least £500 plus the cost of the frame & forks to get it anywhere near looking like factory spec. I say looking, because one of these done with all era correct and excellent/mint parts will be around £2000 plus cost of frame & forks. It all depends on what you want and the condition you'd like it to be in. good luck though mate. Put wanted ads up for the parts you're after, and keep us all updated  :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2016, 06:27 PM »
Most people I know who don't come on here ( good lads , nice bikes/collections ), say the same thing ' can't be arsed mate, too many people thinking their the bollocks, proper clicky'
I agree with the fact that the bikes look pony , but the lad actually seems ok ( I've dealt with him and spoken to him on the phone) . From what I can see , he's just a young lad that's new to the game and is getting excited , going at it full bore? He's seen all the facebook bollocks and thinks it's the done thing?
We all started somewhere and it takes time to find your feet, my first builds were shockers , some would say similar to my current ones😀. I may be proved wrong and he is a tool, but everyone needs a chance😉
Just be happy it's so fooking hard to post pictures on here😂

It's not that hard, but FB is welcome to those images

I didn't name anyone in particular, was more of a general comment - but like Dan mentioned there's a difference between someone who's building for the first time vs someone just buying frame after frame and building up shockers (& then posting them on every FB group under the sun)

I remember the (not that gentle) bashing I got when I first built up my haro, complete with new skyways, elina seat, mid school tyres and pedals and twin pinch cranks. It was a rider and I was starting out on a budget, so I wasn't ready to gentlemans relish a load of cash on it. Rather than get all upset about it, the seat went on the fire at MK and I eventually split it and (hopefully) learned something. I don't buy the 'clicky' comments - ok a lot of us know each other, but usually people who bleat about rad being clicky are just upset that they built a clowned up monstrosity and not enough people said they thought it was ace.

Offline vestanpance

• Curb Endo
  • Bollocks.
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2016, 07:08 PM »
I don't buy the 'clicky' comments

I've been doing this stuff pre RAD, Pre Vintage even, "the clique" term has always been thrown around. Whether it's clicky or just a bit of mutual masturbation I'm not sure.
I said 'machine, why are we here?'
And it paused and said 'to play video games and drink beer'

Offline PK RipperTime

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2016, 08:26 PM »
it is clique in here,always has been,now before i get lynched i,m not complaining,thats just the way it is,,hey ho
the way some on here used to slate pk ripster on here was disgraceful,that to me summed up a few people on here
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 08:30 PM by PK RipperTime »

rodriguez

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2016, 09:24 PM »

it is clique in here,always has been,now before i get lynched i,m not complaining,thats just the way it is,,hey ho
the way some on here used to slate pk ripster on here was disgraceful,that to me summed up a few people on here

Nail on head lads, tis funny I was just thinking about this earlier.

If you can't see how cliquey it is it's because you're most likely in it.

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2016, 12:01 AM »

Nail on head lads, tis funny I was just thinking about this earlier.

If you can't see how cliquey it is it's because you're most likely in it.

I agree and I just accept it.

But I'm happy doing what I do and because I'm not a kid I understand that you don't have to be in a one of the clicks.

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2016, 01:58 PM »
Any comments i have passed in this this thread is just me saying it as i see it... does that mean I'm in the click.  :LolLolLolLol:

Seriously though if this kid is only in his 20's (which i didn't know) maybe he's jumped the gun a little by starting his own old school fb group... a subject he clearly knows very little about. Doing your homework on any particular subject is a must if you're gonna branch out into the big wide world and show off your wares to an ever critical audience... whether it be osbmx or whatever. Perhaps like Mark said it's just a case of some young kid (with more money than sense) getting a bit giddy.   :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 02:46 PM by CustardLips »

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2016, 02:13 PM »
I'm more than happy to be on the 'clique', if 'being in the clique' means coming to the forum every day and chatting about BMX and anything else anyone wants to discuss, if it too means meeting up with your pals a few times a year, having a ride around, a few beers and a bloody good laugh, then yes indeed, I'm right in it.  :radbmxsmilie:

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2016, 03:40 PM »
Not sure if I'm the same wave length when I think of a click then.

If I need help I don't mind sending pm's asking some one that I think ( from their posts etc that could help ) I've got no shame in asking as that's how you find out. But some on here don't even bother to reply even if it's to tell me to do one. I always reply back to anything that's sent to me which I believe is the right thing to do although it's not everyone's. Then same people will reply in a thread about a simple question to one of their buddies.

I feel the same thing happens in the wanted section.

Most of the members on here I emailed found pleasant and help full it's just a couple that think their at the top of the tree and we're below their level.

I could be wrong and although I feel like this it doesn't stop me asking via pm etc as I just learn who not to bother with.

In my eyes it's only a small % and I'm not blaming everyone one else as I know I'm a private person as well which doesn't help.

I'm even toying with entering a botm if I can finish this which is a big step for me.

griff

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2016, 03:41 PM »
I'm more than happy to be on the 'clique', if 'being in the clique' means coming to the forum every day and chatting about BMX and anything else anyone wants to discuss, if it too means meeting up with your pals a few times a year, having a ride around, a few beers and a bloody good laugh, then yes indeed, I'm right in it.  :radbmxsmilie:

Hear hear

Same goes for anyone else posting in this forum - you've just put yourself in it :teef:

Welcome to :radbmxsmilie:

griff

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2016, 03:43 PM »
Just saw your last post Kalex..

If you have a question you can always ask in tech/resto

- on one hand you may get a faster reply as more than one person gets a chance to see it
- on the other, someone else who may have the same question will find the answer is already waiting for them ;)

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2016, 04:30 PM »

Most of the members on here I emailed found pleasant and help full it's just a couple that think their at the top of the tree and we're below their level.

I agree and have always felt there's a level of snobbery (if your face bike don't fit and all that) within the bmx scene as a whole but in all honesty i don't really give a fook and just get on with my own thing regardless. Obiously we all want recognition for the efforts we put into this but it's not the be all and end all as far as I'm concerned. I post my bikes and get involved in stuff on here for the good of the forum (to help keep the ball rolling so to speak) cos without it my interest in this hobby/addiction would be severely diminished.  :radbmxsmilie: is bmx for me... fb is in no a substitute for what we have here.  :4_17_5:

"WWG1WGA"

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2016, 04:34 PM »
A tough one to answer without splitting opinion and sounding like a knob. If I say there isn't a clique, then some will say 'you would say that you're in it', whereas if I say yes there is one (which I don't think there is), then it sounds like a 'them & us' club. When I first joined rad in 2009, it seemed odd how a load of people seemed to know each other and in some cases appeared to be best mates. How could this be I thought? At this point I wasn't aware that there had already been 3 MK events/ramp nights etc where radsters had met and chatted in person. Although i'd posted a bit, and started to recognise a few regular posters by their username, I didn't get to know anyone until I attended my first ride - a good one as it turned out, Radchester 2011. I remember saying to Mrs DTTDB before I set off, that I might only be an hour or so, as I really didn't know what to expect. Meeting up outside Victoria Station for the first time was a bit strange, as I felt like an outsider and everyone seemed to know each other. This feeling lasted about 10 minutes after we had done the Deansgate dash and stopped off at the first watering hole. Within minutes i'd met a group of extremely friendly radsters and we were chatting about bikes/memories as kids etc... Rich (Clean) needed some help to get his cranks tightened on his Diamond Back, and knowing Manchester pretty well I said i'd ride with him to a bike shop to get it sorted. It's the little things like this that add up, and the next time we met on a ride we had common ground. On Mark's (Wini's) Leeds ride, I was one of the first to arrive. I think it was Nick (that swan guy) and Phil (Phil9huf), that were there at the same time. I'd spoke to Nick before (I think), but not Phil, but we said hello and soon got chatting, and it went from there and so on. From scenarios like this, I've had the pleasure of meeting and getting to know maybe a hundred radsters or more, plus many others via text/pm/facebook/threads etc. I wonder what my view/experience of the whole scene/forums etc would be if my first ride experience wasn't a good one. Maybe I wouldn't still be involved? Who knows...
Not that my introduction/experience is good for everyone - we're all different after all, and can't all (or don't want to) attend the rides/MK, but for me it's been the best way to meet new people and in some cases make very good friends. I can't deny that meeting some people has been beneficial to my builds too, and vice versa, as I've managed to acquire some nice parts, but also passed some onto other people. I'd be a liar to say that I wouldn't give a slightly better price or preference to someone who I've met and consider a friend. If we're being honest - isn't that the way life works to a lesser or greater degree?
Here's where the madness started for me. What a great day  :4_17_5:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2016, 04:39 PM »
I'm even toying with entering a botm if I can finish this which is a big step for me.

Don't toy, get it entered. Without members adding their bikes, there would be no competition at all, and this forum every month proves that there are some really excellent bike builders out there.  :radbmxsmilie:

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2016, 04:41 PM »
Get it entered Lee  :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2016, 04:54 PM »
Andy summed it up pretty well  :daumenhoch:

First Rad event I ever went to was a ramp night in Corby. I didn't even have a bike built yet, but Brettypeeps was kind enough to lend me one of his to fall off instead. I'd never met him before, but it didn't matter. I spent the evening chatting with various friendly strangers, indulging in very low-level radness and having a great time

My first MK was in 2011, from that point on I've slowly realised that not everybody knows everybody (even though it always feels like it) but I've gradually got to know a few over those years.

Bunch of clicky bastards :teef:

BTW sorry for the thread going off at a tangent, but the answer to the original post is a 'how long is a piece of string' type answer

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • funny you should say that..
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2016, 07:06 PM »
Bollox..
Griff loves BUM..

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2016, 08:37 PM »
Bollox..

This should be a clicky mean sticky  :LolLolLolLol:
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  What's a gen 2 build likely to cost?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx