gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975549 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 09, 2024, 12:03 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Handlebars in Blue: Any ideas?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Handlebars in Blue: Any ideas?  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
Handlebars in Blue: Any ideas?
« on: September 26, 2016, 09:32 PM »
Hello
I am looking for blue handlebars, preferably era correct early 1980's. I am thinking of a colour that resembles blue anodise. I seem to remember bars with a film or coating that did resemble anodise. Any ideas  :chin:
Many thanks

May have found an answer with 'trans' blue paint, seems to do the job but wonder how durable it is.

What do you think of S&M Hoder bars in trans blue, take a look. I know they are new school but they look the part.

...starting prattle on a bit now!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 12:09 AM by Avro »
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Handlebars in Blue: Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 02:02 AM »
I think the finish you are thinking of is 'superchrome' which came on Super Tuff Burners etc. It is probably also available in other colours, I think people have had Mongoose Pro class done in a grey version.  It is a coating which goes over a product which is chrome to begin with.
It depends on what kind of bike you are building as to whether those new school bars would look 'right' on there......
The man to talk to about 'superchrome' would be Mark at Impreziv finishing in Derby. It would also be possible to get some old school bars anodised blue as long as they are ally...hope this helps a little.. :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 02:03 AM by deeman »
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 08:56 AM »
Mk1 Ultra Burner bars were done in the blue Superchrone that I think you're thinking about, I think a few other bikes has similar, Viceroy for example.

Personally, I wouldn't use the S&M bars, they may look the part in that pic there, but won't once fitted to the bike.

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 09:21 AM »
Look out for Alumilite bars... they made Renthal style bars in annodised colours. They pop up on ebay.com quite often at reasonable prices. Maybe worth a look.  :daumenhoch:
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 10:51 AM »
Thanks for the replies.
I have seen the Race Inc. bars but thought hens teeth.
Renthal used to be such a common sight but I am probably thinking motocycles here as I used to work in that trade for many years.
Ultra Burner bars are almost certainly what I was thinking of. I posted a bitd picture a little while ago and one of the lads, Owen Pickard (played for Plymouth Argyle), had just that bike.
You are right about the S&M bars, an easy solution I would probably regret. This is a going to be a slow project anyway.
I have time to search for all the bars mentioned, failing that it would be super chrome time.
Many thanks :daumenhoch:

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 10:12 PM »
I try to cover every search on evil bay and still I miss the obvious like this, is it me or the engine? I search specific (tange, sr, takigi, sugino etc), I search 'old school' I search every which way. How could I miss that with my searches? Ahhh I give up, I am too old for the interweb for sure.

They are perfect, except that they are US made? I am really looking for an all Japan build but blimey they are sweet. If you saw my suite of parts, altough mid-range, you would understand. (hope to post this build although popping my cherry with it).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:20 PM by Avro »

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 10:49 PM »
Just search 'old school bmx' and that covers 99.9% of the stuff your after but it'll through up alot of matches so just use your head

I never bother searching anything else unless I'm after a certain item

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 10:57 PM »
I do the 'old school bmx' search, as I said. I find Ebay.com more complient for some reason. Anyway, thanks for the help everyone. All is good and I hope this 'blue' build will reach you soon.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Handlebars in Blue: Any ideas?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx