gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975573 Posts in 138925 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 23, 2024, 02:21 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  dead in here these days
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: dead in here these days  (Read 5046 times)

griff

Re: dead in here these days
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2017, 11:06 AM »
bung it in Tech/Resto  :daumenhoch:

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2017, 11:13 AM »
Keep it OG!

Or sell it to me  :D
Neil, the bathroom's free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2017, 12:16 PM »
Think if i had posted the book idea 3-4 years ago i would have been inundated with people wanting to be part of it. As it is i have had 2 people submit something which speaks volumes about the scene at the mo, irrespective of faceache.
Hopefully a bit of summer sun may revitalise things as it usually does.  :daumenhoch:

Oh and you REALLY do need to keep that Haro OG. Plenty of bastardised ones out there if you want a shiney one  ;)
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

rodriguez

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2017, 01:43 PM »
People have moved on and in Rads case there are a few reasons you can't just blame Facebook.

Most forums are dead these days the platform is old, simple as that, you need to have  a platform that can be accessed from a smartphone most people very few people use pc's anymore, tapatalk is only a half baked solution in my opinion and it hasn't worked for RAD, nor has the RAD FB page, it was too late to the game and there was too much opposition from within.

After Stiddgate there was a queue of people who were going to be using the forum more often and doing this, that and the other to improve the forum, most of them lasted a couple of weeks before they fooked off, but anyway things got worse instead of better, it's only lately uploading pics has been sorted.

There are now more moderators than active members, every year at MK there are another few ordained to the upper echelons, why does a forum that's so quiet need so many moderators?  Some of them don't even appear to contribute to the forum anymore? :-\

There are still loads of bikes being built but very few are shown on here, the scene has slowed a bit but it's not dead.

There are a lot of knobs on Facebook but then there used to be a lot in here too, some of us are still here    :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 01:29 AM by rodriguez »

griff

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 02:47 PM »
There are now more moderators than active members,

slight exaggeration there Paul, but feel free to advise on how many there should be/who should go ::)
don't forget the expression 'many hands make light work' and that everyone that does help out gives their time freely to do so. It's not a job after all, we're not using the rad pot to pay for trips to Thailand and most of us have pretty busy lives/jobs etc

most forums might be dead, but this isn't most forums and without tapatalk you can still get on here (well I manage it on my trusty old iphone or the ipad without any bother). Just in the last few weeks we've got video embedding, better photo uploading capability and a better deal with the hosts to allow more photos, avoiding having to use tapatalk

one things for sure, regardless of the improvements we make here there will always be someone that finds something to complain about.

rodriguez

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2017, 02:58 PM »
There are now more moderators than active members,

slight exaggeration there Paul, but feel free to advise on how many there should be/who should go ::)
don't forget the expression 'many hands make light work' and that everyone that does help out gives their time freely to do so. It's not a job after all, we're not using the rad pot to pay for trips to Thailand and most of us have pretty busy lives/jobs etc

most forums might be dead, but this isn't most forums and without tapatalk you can still get on here (well I manage it on my trusty old iphone or the ipad without any bother). Just in the last few weeks we've got video embedding, better photo uploading capability and a better deal with the hosts to allow more photos, avoiding having to use tapatalk

one things for sure, regardless of the improvements we make here there will always be someone that finds something to complain about.

"slight exaggeration" Is it? I don't think so, some of the moderators are hardly active at all, yourself and a couple of others are the exception and you well know that John, look through recent activity of the others and that should give you a good idea as to who is surplus.

Anyway are you honestly saying the forum isn't dead then?

If the improvements attract new members and old ones return, mores the better, time will tell.

griff

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2017, 03:44 PM »
18 mods/owners etc in total (Dannywhac no longer has mod privileges and 'Admin' is just an account, not a person)

Right now there are 28 users logged in (in a weekday afternoon) and over 250 guests browsing
Now maths might not be my strongest subject, but I'm pretty sure that's more than 18, disregarding the odd search bot lurking, that's not a bad number of people using the site overall either

So yeah, a slight exaggeration I think is a generous response to your remark. Certainly more polite than saying 'you're talking bollux' even though that would not have been factually incorrect either

As for new members, I just checked the admin logs and 37 new members have been approved and could be posting any minute now
let's make them feel welcome eh?

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2017, 07:33 PM »
I will always  :welcome a new member. Hopefully it makes them think the forum is a friendly place.  :daumenhoch:

:radbmxsmilie:

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2017, 08:23 PM »
I tried hard, but I can't see the downside of having as much mods/owners etc. as we have. Everyone of them has either special skills, knowledge or connections to who or whatever, that our beloved site massivly benefits from. Although beeing or becomming an owner, a moderator or an admin is not like buying a SiteSupporterTag. Everyone I'm sure has something to offer that is good for  :radbmxsmilie:

As Griff mentioned "many hands make light work". Who - other than them - really knows about the amount of work and efforts that go into the forum, to keep it running and constantly improving it.
I mean who am I to criticise that one or maybe some lads of the Rad-Team didn't contribute to the site, and therefore he should not be a moderator anymore. Even these radsters don't have their status because of any nostalgia or because of they earned  their stripes once. As soon as it comes to organizing some event like MK, every hand and skill or whatever is needed in order to make it what it is like. If there would only be one or two or maybe four mods - this site would be just as a mess like most pages, in the blink of an eye.

On the other hand I can't see the advantage of making this site even more - or let me put it this way... "too" convenient to use with all the new media devices like smartphones. Who want's this site to be as fast - or due to that - even as insignificant like (let's face it) all the other sites. Well I don't! ...why am I saying insignificant? ...is a legitimate question. I don't know what is more insignificant than having access 24/7 and approaching this site in a "in passing"-manner. We get everything ToGo out there, do we want a Rad-site to go? A site that is only full of thumps up, lols and people that are in for the party as long as it is for free? ...don't think any serious radster would embrace that.
It is for sure not an easy task to decide how far we open this site for all the new possibilities. If I would have a problem with haveing to make three or four mouse-clicks to upload a picture that I want to share with my mates - I really should think if my life is still going in the right direction.
Is buying or chaseing parts a fast procedure? No. Is a restoration fast procedure? No. Is a bike build up fast? Usually not. Would improving aspects of this site be a fast procedure? Probably not. It takes time. Strange though, all these things need a certain amount of time, but some aren't or seem not to be capable of taking time to upload a picture. I don't get the point?

Blaming this site or members of the team - that some things aren't going in the favour of some is pretty unfair. Because it's us! We are the site, we are  :radbmxsmilie: and without as many helping hands as there are - ...oh dear, I don't even want to think about what it would be like if a person starts moaning about picture uploads.  :teef: 

..maybe we need raffles to attract new and "old" members  :LolLolLolLol: ...sorry for that one, but I couldn't resist.  ;)

Feel the love and keep it rad and give everybody a warm welcome!  :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 02:02 AM by Andyboy77 »

Offline Chez-6

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2017, 08:48 PM »
Not the site, its great, not the guys n girls all cool but its like any new members to any group it can be hard to feel as though you fit in as most old of the Rad timers have some much history, I came to Rad looking to get to know more about BMX to go with what little I knew 30 years ago.

I was never into BMX as much as most seam to have been on site but I did love :smitten: mine and had a few mongrels that I built up from odds and ends that I was given or bought with my paper round money. Rad had taught me soon much and have always been made to feel welcome  fistblump but compared to most I still know squat so just like to read the posts and learn some more.  Keep it Cool  :coolsmiley: Chez 

griff

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2017, 08:52 PM »
Raffles  ;D

No thanks, if anyone wants to flog a damaged/repaired frameset for twice the going rate, or only let their mates win they can keep it off this forum thanks very much  :daumenhoch:

Offline Andyboy77

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2017, 09:20 PM »
Raffles  ;D

No thanks, if anyone wants to flog a damaged/repaired frameset for twice the going rate, or only let their mates win they can keep it off this forum thanks very much  :daumenhoch:

:daumenhoch:

Offline kalex

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2017, 12:53 AM »
Screw raffles as my luck is that bad that if I gambled on a two horse race it would some how come third  :D

rodriguez

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2017, 01:21 AM »
18 mods/owners etc in total (Dannywhac no longer has mod privileges and 'Admin' is just an account, not a person)

Right now there are 28 users logged in (in a weekday afternoon) and over 250 guests browsing
Now maths might not be my strongest subject, but I'm pretty sure that's more than 18, disregarding the odd search bot lurking, that's not a bad number of people using the site overall either

So yeah, a slight exaggeration I think is a generous response to your remark. Certainly more polite than saying 'you're talking bollux' even though that would not have been factually incorrect either

As for new members, I just checked the admin logs and 37 new members have been approved and could be posting any minute now
let's make them feel welcome eh?

Come on John, 28 people online of an afternoon is a drop in the ocean compared to what there used to be, on a Friday there'd be twice or three times that many online and there was never as many mods needed then.

That aside I reckon there's about a dozen members who are actively and regularly contributing or am I talking more bollox given that I'm the one saying it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 01:31 AM by rodriguez »

griff

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2017, 07:02 AM »
I'm just saying that 28 is more than 18  :teef:

Harping on about the Halcyon days of Rad and how it was different back then isn't going to achieve anything. Neither will the actions (or inactions) of a few mods, we are all part of the solution as well as the problem
Of course it's not as busy as it used to be, no denying that, but what do you suggest to do? With any hobby things move in cycles,/none of us are getting younger/bubbles burst  (still waiting for the explosion of cheap parts on the market)
On one hand you say that the forum platform generally is dead, but like Andy said I wouldn't want this place to turn into Facebook. It has its good points but just look at the majority of it - not just talking Bmx groups but the amount of narcissistic drivel, shady characters and constant validation-seeking makes me glad I fooked it off. Not having that channel turned on any more as a distraction clearly means I no longer know what I'm missing, but just looking through the  :radbmxsmilie: shaped window now things still look pretty good - I do still hear about some of the FB nonsense thanks to PMs etc and I'm in no rush to go back  :teef:
Look at some of the posts above and you can see that there are recently-joined members who've been made to feel welcome and have contributed some great threads.  :daumenhoch:

Things to be glad about.....
The standard of bike builds is as good as ever
We have a great community here
There have been some nice little forum upgrades to help with pics/videos
We have a shitload of useful archived material to look back on
No ads or spam!

Oh and last but not least, we have several hundred voluntary site supporters and a bunch of very kind sponsors which means that we are able to put on the best annual OSBMX shindig on the planet.

Could it be better? Of course, but some things take time and the 'can't please everyone' rule definitely applies. The feedback section is open though  :daumenhoch:

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2017, 07:03 AM »

As I said its all pickles fault

griff

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2017, 07:15 AM »

As I said its all pickles fault

in a nutshell  ;D

rodriguez

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2017, 09:53 AM »

Harping on about the Halcyon days of Rad and how it was different back then isn't going to achieve anything.

One sentence in response to your ridiculous justification for the number of mods is hardly "harping on"

Another wee dig though.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2017, 10:04 AM »

Harping on about the Halcyon days of Rad and how it was different back then isn't going to achieve anything.

One sentence in response to your ridiculous justification for the number of mods is hardly "harping on"

Another wee dig though.

Can I ask what you think needs to be done to increase patronage and posting?

Better to crash and burn than fade away

griff

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2017, 10:55 AM »

Another wee dig though.

There's also the PM you sent me in the middle of the night ::)
You're entitled to your opinions of course, but then again so am I
If I think someone's said something unfair or harsh I'll call them on it, by the same token if someone's done something I think is good or positive then I'll always try and encourage it.

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2017, 11:42 AM »
No moans on my post please .
The only thing i will say is we have way to many sections these days as i never get the chance to look at most of them as  back in the day i dont remember it having this many rooms .i dont know what the post count is for each room but just a suggestion 
no1stuntmaster on instagram

griff

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2017, 12:01 PM »
Fair comment, there are a few areas that could be deleted/merged/tidied up a bit
Trying to figure out how to merge whole boards though, still not sure if it's possible but otherwise it's a very long job moving threads one at a time!

rodriguez

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2017, 12:45 PM »

Another wee dig though.

There's also the PM you sent me in the middle of the night ::)
You're entitled to your opinions of course, but then again so am I
If I think someone's said something unfair or harsh I'll call them on it, by the same token if someone's done something I think is good or positive then I'll always try and encourage it.

I don't think my initial comment was unfair or harsh it was maybe a bit close to the knuckle which is why you took exception to it and called me out!

As for my my PM in the "middle of the night" I work a shifts so I operate on a different timezone, I wanted to take the bickering between us off the thread but you it appears you'd prefer it on the thread.

As you've mentioned it here's said PM for all to see sent at 2.27am

Hi John

I was pondering earlier but I'm fairly sure I've been a member of RAD longer than you, in2bmx, ed209, jaymz, the swan guy and benno not that this really means anything other than I've seen where radbmx was and I see where it is now, more importantly I know how it's came to be where it's at.

Like or loathe what I said yesterday I'm certainly not talking bollox and I think you and I both know that, the forums dying on it's arse.

The question is can be resurrected? 

Incidentally I've noticed recently quite a few of the mods make more of a contribution on facebook than they do on the forum, ironic.

Regards
Paul

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2017, 01:44 PM »

"Incidentally I've noticed recently quite a few of the mods make more of a contribution on facebook than they do on the forum, ironic."

This statement is definitely true... whether it be posting their latest builds or selling stuff !!!
Shame really considering the forum needs people posting more regular. Which gives me the impression they're not arsed about the forum anymore and happy to just leave those of us that are  to it. ???
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Chez-6

• Site Supporter
  • Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2017, 02:09 PM »
As a relative newbie compared to most of you guys, I think that there are things that could be done to encourage more people to post and take part is discussions. One of those would be to realise that some people at totaly new to BMX and not BMX Jedi, and as I said earlier in the thread this can be a little intimidating to new comers.

I also think people need to relax about builds being 100% OG as not all have funds that will allow this, and have to make do with re-pop parts, someone recently stated in another thread he felt  that only OG bikes should be in BOTHM and re-pop has not place there which made me feel that my bike would not be worthy of an entry which made me think well why bother  :'(

I do love the site and am not on FB so cant comment on its content and would love to have more time to post but have four children so time is sparse, but am hoping that I will be able to pass on my love of BMX onto them so they can carry on where so many have left off.

Chez

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  dead in here these days

gfxgfx
gfx gfx