gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975562 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 15, 2024, 08:51 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Suntour sealed Hub - restoration advice...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Suntour sealed Hub - restoration advice...  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Mrgumby

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Suntour sealed Hub - restoration advice...
« on: March 25, 2017, 11:12 AM »
Suntour sealed hubs..

Trying to make a decent pair out of this lot - so need advice please, before I get them built up..

Here goes:

I started with a decent front hub and a NOS rear hub in silver.  But really want a pair of black hubs. So, next I found another pair off Facebook.  They were cheap cos of the freewheel issue, but they still feel very gritty and I think the threads are a bit mashed on one side of the rear.   So, I'm not sure what to do exactly.

do I restore the black rear with the gritty hub?  Or swap the internals over from the NOS one (seems a shame to do this).   Or just use the silver one with the decent front hub..

Or can you get new bearings for these?  Are they sealed bearings (like cartridge type)?  Or just sealed, meaning 'water-tight/muck-proof'.. 

Any help much appreciated, I've never opened one of these up before, but now I have the tool so it might be the right time..

Cheers
Matt

PS - I also have  black SUZUE rear hub that is in very nice shape and been re-greased.  It was the one that came with the wheels originally so I guess I could use that too!  Too many options..

rodriguez

Re: Suntour sealed Hub - restoration advice...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 01:08 PM »
Your biggest problem will be getting the freewheel off the rear, theres a few methods to do this but the easiest that won't damage the hub,

1) lace the hub back to a rim using the non drive side and hold the rim

2) put old spokes throught the holes on the non drive side, make loops at the end of the spokes and put a screw through each loop and fasten to a piece of ply.

3 this way

/>
Bearings are fooked, swap out the bearings, it's no biggie for a of your man of your capabitlities.

Hold the alloy cover with the dedicated spanner and take off the cone lock nuts, when you've undone one side the axle will slide out, the alloy covers slide on and off the cones.

To get the old bearings out you need to make a tool but that's easy enough I'll put a pic up of one I made tomorrow or monday.

You'll find the number of the bearing you need on the rubber of the bearing.

Your biggest problem will be getting the freewheel off the rear

Offline Avro

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 01:45 PM »
I can only confirm the above advice, there is nothing tricky here. The hubs are very simple.
To remove the freewheel you really need the wheel laced and use the torque available by turning the rim with the freewheel fixed. It is amazing how effective this is. Mix and match all you like, nothing will be irreversible.
Wanted: Shimano Aero frame
Wanted: Tange Axeblade frame

Offline Mrgumby

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 05:02 PM »
Thanks guys, gonna start to rebuild the wheel now.. 

Offline Mrgumby

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 05:50 PM »
Holy fook, I hope I never have to do that again...

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 10:48 PM »
Why don't you remove the seals off the bearings with a sharp knife.
It's easy to do it just pops off.
Clean the shite off with wd40 and your missus tooth brush.
Re-crease job done..
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

Offline Ady

• Flip-Whip
  • fin old..... they call me the silver fox
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 10:48 PM »
Or sell the front one to me.. fistblump
Real men have Dachshunds I have three / now two 😓 missing you../ back too three with a rescue dachie

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Suntour sealed Hub - restoration advice...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx