gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975568 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 19, 2024, 03:42 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  I am currently working on (shorts)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: I am currently working on (shorts)  (Read 45587 times)

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: I am currently working on (shorts)
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2023, 10:29 PM »
Hmm. I think they are Eastern. I can't find an exact match, but these have the same "hook nose" drops. They just have peg bosses on the legs.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • I'm gonna need a bigger shed 😂
  • Rated:
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2023, 10:44 PM »
No dude  :LolLolLolLol: the forks that came with the Jane are defo Eastern, I was referring to the threaded forks that came on the Sjappi. They were listed as Hoffman but they are not. Nick thought that those could be Bully.
Low end French does it for me ! 😂

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2023, 12:04 AM »
Oh. Ffs lmao.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2023, 12:32 AM »
🤣🤣🤣

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2023, 03:57 PM »
Oh my god.

So yesterday I got some bike scales. Weighed the PKR. 17.9lb. It's absolutely amazing how technology makes my big ass road bike weigh less than any 20 I have ever seen.

Thing is I thought there would be absolutely no way to make it even lighter. I mean serious, I've achieved some shit in my life but I don't think I could possibly...... I was wrong  :LolLolLolLol:

I forgot I had some cheap ass Shimano solid chain on it, and I had this in my bedroom under a pile of paperwork.

So earlier I fitted that. I then stood back and admired my work.

Man, she is stunning. So then my brain starts whirring and I look very closely at the bike. Now I *thought* I had a Kooka BB on there with ceramic bearings. Then I remembered I removed it, and broke it playing around with an idea I had. Boooo :(

Upon realising I had a very cheap, and very heavy BB on there I started doing some research... Within about ten minutes I had my answer. FSA Platinum Pro Mega Titanium BB. The problem? A HUNDRED POUNDS. *digs for a while* "hmm, I see ISIS is out of fashion.... *digs for a bit longer* 25 quid. *sends a offer of 20 quid, offer accepted*  :LolLolLolLol:

So basically I do not think it is possible to get it down to 17lb or less. I mean really, at this point I am taking the piss. However, the new chain weighs F all and so will that BB.

What amazes me is that my patience has paid off so much on this bike. 55 quid for the rear wheel, rebuilt the hub with 8 quid's worth of parts. 40 quid for the fork, cost me about 2 quid in clear coat. 40 quid for the SLK forged carbon cranks, and so on. NONE of it has cost me anything at all.

Oh and yeah, talk about happy accidents  :LolLolLolLol:

Two cable ties = TUNEZ.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2023, 04:48 PM »
Nope ! still wrong  :LolLolLolLol:

The front wheel does not come with a skewer included. Those? were from axles I bought for the parts to repair the rear wheel. It was cheaper to buy a full set of hubs with skewers than to buy one axle from Shimano.

As such I bought a Ti skewer.

I also want to get alloy wheel nuts for the rear wheel. Now somewhere I have a set of those, in red, from the mag wheels I had on it.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2023, 05:39 PM »

Bottle cage done. Used Rivnuts. Just hoping they hold. Also made small decal.

BB arrived earlier. Will play with that tomorrow, because I spent the entire arvo working on the Hercules. Video on that tomorrow with any luck.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2023, 03:39 PM »
A few weeks ago I bought a pair of Free agent levers from the guy I bought the Hellcat frame set off. Im sure these are what was on the bars originally. As they are not hinged I had to remove the grips off of the bars to do the swap out. The white Wiz grips are grubby and I've only rode the bike once, so I'm deciding which grips to put back on. The Odyssey quick stops will be used on a tidier build in the future.
 fistblump

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2023, 05:43 PM »
Fancied something different. Bikes getting a bit much.

So I have a Tag Mclaren AV rig. Surround processor pre amp DAC with lots of amps.

Really is my pride and joy. I bought a CD player for it last year (cambridge thing) but it just looked shit. I mean it would tbh. So I have wanted a Tag Mclaren CD transport for ages. Note transport, as it has no RCA out just a digital connection for the processor (DAC) to make it work.

Problem is they are 350 quid. And for the amount of listening time I would give CDs? no worth 350 quid  :LolLolLolLol: I mean when you consider the transports were 1500 quid and up 20 years ago it doesn't sound that bad but aye, not paying that.

Then the other week I spotted this. Now do note, they did do all this gear in silver too, but this ain't supposed to be silver.

Someone literally spray bombed a 1500 pound CD transport  :rant: Badly !

He had it up for 55. "Doesn't read CDs". Ok fair enough, the lazer has probably gone. Did a bit of digging, the entire mech is 12 quid (it's a Philips VAM unit) or 8 quid for just the lazer assembly. I almost bought a lazer assembly, but I had a feeling so I left it until it arrived. I paid 45 quid BTW, and it was a total shot in the dark. I knew if someone had painted it like that then it will be bad. I wasn't wrong either. It arrived, I picked it up and something was rattling around in it. Turns out the lazer mech had snapped out of the carrier, and it was broken. OK deep breath, I will get the assembly for 12 quid. I then stripped it and set to work.

Round one. It had three more after that. Three tiny scratches in the black anno, and there was still some silver paint on it in that pic. It needed two more rounds of isoprop to remove it all.

Round two. Round three.

Round 4 touch up paint.

Now I just have to wait on the new lazer assembly.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2023, 12:50 AM »
I finished the Minigoose on Saturday evening. She turned out ok. Here's a few pics until I get some outdoor shots at my spot. Some bugger has dumped a fridge freezer there though. I might have to find a new spot  fistblump

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2023, 12:52 AM »
>>>

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2023, 07:35 PM »
I had to tidy up the garage as it was in a right state. The minigoose is now on the wall to make space for my next build. I will get some better pics of the goose soon  :daumenhoch:

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2023, 09:51 AM »
Lovely lil Goose that  :daumenhoch: or going on your past builds I thought you'd have called it?

'Le petite Goose'  ;) :daumenhoch:

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2023, 07:05 PM »
Lovely lil Goose that  :daumenhoch: or going on your past builds I thought you'd have called it?

'Le petite Goose'  ;) :daumenhoch:

Bonne idee monsieur  :daumenhoch:

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2023, 11:44 PM »
Nothing spectacular, I bought a decent Weinmann Tech 2 lever without the clasp. Took a clasp off of a straight Weinmann lever, and an adjusting bolt and spring from an old Formos lever I had in the parts crate. Quick polish and wire brush on the bolt and spring and it looks pretty good. You don't see too many Weinmann Tech 2's so I thought why not.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 11:44 AM by Chilli Rinse »

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2023, 01:54 PM »
I bought a Tag Mclaren CD transport that someone had spray bombed.

Poorly. I knew there was a high chance it would never work. I bought a new laser and sure enough, it didn't fix it. So I began the enormous ball ache to turn it into a computer that streams music, videos and can play DVDs (region 1, all mine are R1).

So that's why no bikes, and no me. It has been a lot harder than I anticipated  :LolLolLolLol:

Here it is after three weeks of work. Believe me to get it to this stage was a feggin nightmare.

I won't go into it I would be here a week. Needless to say I am still working away on it. I need to machine a piece in a bit to hold the DVD drive down.

I'll pop back when it is finished and explain how it works etc.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2023, 02:54 PM »
Go CNC go !

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2023, 01:06 PM »
Nearly done.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2023, 07:44 PM »
Today I managed to get a very stubborn Suntour freewheel off of an OGK mag. I then stripped and cleaned both wheels and the hardware. I was going to do a sealed bearing upgrade but there was no need as the races and cones were nice and clean. I popped some new bearings in and then reassembled them. The OGK's still look like shit but run really sweet now, this was the plan as they are destined to go on a fairly rough but very charming lugged Apollo (80 or 81) project.

Tomorrow I will strip, clean and reassemble the freewheel. That's a job I really enjoy 👍🏼

I'm not even going to bother to try to upload any pics  fistblump

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2023, 11:38 PM »
I made myself a late coffee and fitted a Duro fat thin combo onto the OGK's. They are gumwall and black, the seat and grips are black so I thought I should match them up. I want an all Japanese build so if some used tyres that fit the bill show up I'll try to bag them.

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2023, 03:42 PM »
Ze ripper.

I took her on holiday. I will post a ton of pics of that soon, when I can find more than 2 effing minutes. Any way, I was a bit sad I never got to fit this.

If you are wondering what it is? it's a (wait for it) FSA Platinum Quad Mega. I know, a mouthful. What it equates to is a Ti ISIS bottom bracket with ceramic bearings. I paid around 23 quid for it, which I thought was amazing. Esp given they were around 350 new.

So it arrived. I then realised it had no bolts. I then found out the bolts were not available any more. I knew not to waste any money, as I have several sets in all sorts of sizes and none of them fit. Not even the 14mm ones, which this is supposed to be. I had exactly the same issue last year with some Shadow Noctis cranks (prototypes, even the Noctis bolts did not work).

So in a pissy fit I threw it in a baggy and tossed it in the tool box. Well when I got back from holiday I found it again. Only this time? I had a huge piece of luck. See, FSA are a bunch of clunges and like every other greedy ass company they do not tell you the thread pitch. So you have no idea. Well in said tool box was a male BMX axle I took out of a wheel for the Pork, and it threaded straight in. A long time later I found out that a 14mm BMX axle is 14 super fine. Or, 14mm with a 1mm pitch. This is absolutely unheard of, and I would surmise why FSA decided to use it. Because if you lose or strip your bolts? you're f-ed and you have to go to them and pay 30 quid. Problem is, like all selfish shuffle munsterers, when they stop selling them they also stop selling the parts.

So with that mystery solved I knocked this up.

My mate can not make hex ends or allen holes. So it needs to be made in two pieces. Teh threaded insert will go into the Ti axle and be locked in with JB weld. At which point I will use the M8 titanium bolts I bought from a company that went out of business for 3 quid. That is what the shoulders are for.

These parts will be 7000 alu, as it would be dumb to make the BB end up weighing as much as the one it is replacing.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2023, 12:14 AM »
I dragged out the lugged Apollo frame and forks tonight. The headset was already fitted, greased, with the forks in place. So the OGK's were fitted, along with the Takahashi Panmax saddle and the og post, Alps stem and Nitto bars. I mocked up a Shimano Tourney rear brake and pre bent lever. I might go with those, not sure yet.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2023, 05:57 PM »
Koga branded Tange grips fitted earlier today. The bike was getting under the wife's feet in the kitchen so it's back in the garage, probably until next weekend.

Offline Chilli Rinse

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2023, 07:04 PM »
I have just finished the Oven Pride treatment on a red Shimano pre bent lever and clasp. Followed with a light polish so it matches the brake it's being paired with. Both are now fitted on the Apollo. Black DC BRS cable ordered tonight.

Earlier today I stripped down, cleaned, greased and reassembled a pair of SR SP-452 pedals I picked up cheap on eBay about a week ago. Both are now spinning sweetly. I didn't go mad on the clean or polish these, I didn't want them too blingy. They should compliment the Apollo build nicely.

IMG-0671" border="0
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 07:14 PM by Chilli Rinse »

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2023, 08:32 PM »
After a very, very long time out (9 months now has to be) I decided I should at least make videos on the rest of the bikes.

Got up in the loft for the first time in an even longer time (last two were built down here) and sorted out a lot of shit. Found a superb way to create my film set (more info soon) and managed to make more space to get the whole collection up there.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  I am currently working on (shorts)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx