gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975573 Posts in 138925 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 23, 2024, 06:16 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Alloy Tuff II serial numbers
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Alloy Tuff II serial numbers  (Read 722 times)

duncan

Alloy Tuff II serial numbers
« on: October 05, 2006, 03:40 PM »
Question for any Skyway Tuff trainspotters,

Early alloy hub Tuff II's have a white serial number etched on the rim.
Do matching front & rear pairs have the same serial number, or do they tend to be consecutive (or even random).
It doesn't really matter, getting them the same colour and in good 'nick is enough, but I was just interested for future reference.

Thanks.

selfpreservation

Re: Alloy Tuff II serial numbers
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 05:42 PM »
my pat numbers are the same 4280736 they are alloy hubbed but the number isnt on the rim its in the spokegap 2nd left of the valve

duncan

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 06:00 PM »
I didn't realise there were some alloy hub tuffs with a Pat# but no serial#.
There was no serial# on very early 'metal hub' tuffs, or later 'plastic hub' tuffs either, so I suppose my original question is a bit pointless.
The serial# must have just been a brief idea for one generation of the wheels.

Thanks for the info.

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 06:57 PM »
early tuff II's did have the pat no on the rim, but i think skyway figured out it knacked your brake blocks and moved it to in between the spokes.
there is also several versions of the metal and alloy hubs, the pattern of the 'star' changed at least three times, i have variants of these three said hubs......

Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 07:32 PM »
I've never looked at my tuffs close enough and i don't have any to hand, so is the number stamped into the rim of some tuffs (originally white) the same as the Pat#? Of course the Pat (American Patent) # is always the same, but on some tuffs there is also this number on the rim that I thought was a 'serial' number (but I never checked)?

duncan

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 07:46 PM »
Yes, the white serial number is stamped into the rim alongside the (wheel coloured) pat number.
The serial number is unique per wheel (or per pair, which is what I was wondering)

The pat number is the same on all wheels as far as I've seen - the exception being earlier so-called 'metal hub' wheels which used a different (but still in common) pat number.

There only seems to be the one generation of early alloy hub wheels that had the serial number. I thought it might be possible to tell from this number whether two wheels belonged to an original pair. Though as it's impossible to tell with other generations of wheel there's little to be gained from the exercise.

The following pic shows the pat and serial numbers. Should the white serial number be exactly the same on the matching wheel in the pair? Does anyone care?  ;D

« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 08:10 PM by duncan »

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 08:13 PM »
no

Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 08:38 PM »
not really but too see the serial is happiness for me

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 11:09 PM »
Also don't forget many of the early Tuffs would have been coaster brake so no impact on the brake blocks as they wouldn't have used them, also no front brakes either  :LolLolLolLol:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Alloy Tuff II serial numbers

gfxgfx
gfx gfx