gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975573 Posts in 138925 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 23, 2024, 07:00 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Redline Proline II
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Redline Proline II  (Read 111502 times)

GREMLIN

Re: Redline Proline II
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2007, 02:07 PM »
Build the bike up using grease, it wont hurt the bike, and then when your ready, you can race it with us lunatics :daumenhoch:

:LolLolLolLol:

GREMLIN

« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2007, 02:16 PM »
I've actually got my frame and forks together now. Funnily enough for the 1st time ever i've put the headset together dry.
More to do with pulling apart and arsing around. But for a full build i've always prepared whichever bike to be ready to ride.  ;)
Kowalski are you going to be looking for full wheels or piece by piece? Just so i know what to keep an eye out for, for you.   G.  :daumenhoch:

kowalski

« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2007, 03:44 PM »
hi g yeah full wheels please, tyres not essential and they must be in v good condition the more spotters out there the better :daumenhoch: cheers bud

kowalski

« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2007, 09:56 PM »
mr gremlin, need some advice on that chrome polishing technique, did you just use autosol a cloth and elbow grease? no polishing wheel or grinder, just attacked my prolite in the same way and the results are dog dump! you looked like u got a lot of the scratches out of yours too, hints needed please :-\  :daumenhoch:

GREMLIN

« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2007, 11:14 AM »
mr gremlin, need some advice on that chrome polishing technique, did you just use autosol a cloth and elbow grease? no polishing wheel or grinder, just attacked my prolite in the same way and the results are dog dump! you looked like u got a lot of the scratches out of yours too, hints needed please :-\  :daumenhoch:

Just Autosol, cloths, elbow grease and plenty of sweat bud.  I did it 4-6 inches at a time, using loadsa paste and working it in all directions to really attack it.  I was gob smacked the way it came up eventually, i honestly thought it was a lost cause, even after going over it the 3 or 4 times before i started seeing a change. 
Oh i did bath it as well... I hope the wife doesn't see this  :D  I bathed it while she was out. Dried it off nicely. Then used her hair dryer to pump hot air thru the tubes, spraying WD40 in with the air towards the end to lightly coat the insides of the tubing. After that it's just been polished up with a dry cloth. I'm happy with it. The wife knows no better, and life is good.  :daumenhoch:   G.

kowalski

« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2007, 11:17 AM »
 :LolLolLolLol: happy days !!!!!!

GREMLIN

« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2007, 12:27 PM »
The postman's been busy over the last couple of days. Parts for the Proline build, and other odds 'n' sods keep turning up  :)
I've still a couple of packages en route too... which is nice  :D
Gotta give a big shout to Chris (crusty) for the 401's, and chainwheel  :daumenhoch:.  Very nice m8, thanx.  :smitten:
Big thanx to Dave (dordymush) for the Haro flo panel  :daumenhoch:
The 1 - 1/4" cable clips came in from some matey in Cyprus  8)
Finally, not for the Proline tho. The  white Falcon Pro number plate from one of our new members Joe (jt71), cheers buddy  ;)
I've a couple more packages due for the build, so will get the pics up once they arrive...      G.  :daumenhoch:

kowalski

« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2007, 10:36 AM »
gooday fellow redliners i have a question, i have recently seen a few sets of os redline v bars on the bay, http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-SCHOOL-BMX-BLUE-REDLINE-HANDLE-BARS-BAR-w-AME-GRIP_W0QQitemZ130131545017QQihZ003QQcategoryZ48842QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem   after speaking to gav about these it seems they are the mini versions of the pro v's. now my question is what bikes were they used on?? would it be wrong to put them on my pl? secondly they always seem to be anodised red or blue, after reading a few threads on removing this stuff could it be done on these,and would they come up to a decent finish, cheers chaps

GREMLIN

« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2007, 11:31 AM »
Hi m8.  The bars that came fitted to the Redline Pl20 Carrera were Redline Stu Thomson signature V-bars. Which are a pro size bar with a width of 27" or so.
These bars aren't mini versions, they're bars in their own right.
It's your call on whether you want them on your Pl bud. It's your build. It comes down to would these bars being a smaller size be comfortable for you to ride with. Also would you be happy with the difference in look. They are a different shaped bar too.
As for stripping and polishing. If done right they should polish up a treat  :)  G.

gt0733

« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2007, 02:29 PM »
this pic is my proline with those small bars on. after riding it around a bit i found they were a bit small so i watched ebay for a while and came up with the correct size chrome ones. now it's spot on.

the small bars are now on this 600a and being a show bike it dosn't really matter how small they are. the finish on these bars is superb and i wouldn't mess with them. if you want chrome i suggest you get chrome ones. they are out there, it just might take a little time to get exactly what you want.

GREMLIN

« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2007, 05:51 PM »
They're a couple of gorgeous bikes Allen  :daumenhoch:   G.

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2007, 10:45 PM »
The first Carrera actually came with the small Micro-Line bars, when Stu rode that bike he had custom factory bars... extended Pro-Line V bars. When the Carrera II came it had the new STR bars... :daumenhoch:

I need a set of STR bars... ::)
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2007, 10:57 PM »
The first Carrera actually came with the small Micro-Line bars, when Stu rode that bike he had custom factory bars... extended Pro-Line V bars. When the Carrera II came it had the new STR bars... :daumenhoch:

I just picked a set up :angel: But they are shot to bits :-[
A long time ago, in a land far away!

gt0733

« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2007, 10:59 PM »

i'm not sure about that Ron, here's an ad from May 1982 which has Carrera with proline bars. remember, carrera was a complete, wheras prolineII was the frame and fork set which meant we could build it anyway we wanted.......and i did  :smitten:

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2007, 11:45 PM »
The Carrera didn't come with those bars in the advert, it had Micro Line bars...

BMX Action test...

It's odd, but true...  kids bars on a top spec pro race bike :idiot2:

gt0733

« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2007, 11:54 PM »
jeez luise, check the print on that ad Ron  :2funny: and that carrera promo would have been done at least 3 months before to allow for publishing times.

by the way, i have the same test and you'll find it is BMX Plus magazine not BMX action  ;)

GREMLIN

« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2007, 05:15 PM »
Had another day of goodies turning up on my doormat. So what did i think i'd do when it's such a lovely day outside?
Yup, hide away in the spare room with my toys and get busy  :D
First of all i tucked into my package from Steve (vinoah,s ark). Thanx very much m8   :daumenhoch:.  Which had a stamped Redline, chromoly, fluted seatpost, a Dia compe Mx1000 calliper in blk, a Dia compe pre bent lever in blk, and a suntour arrow seatpost clamp in it.
Which is all good and i'm well happy   :smitten: .

Second pack contained my 2 sets of Redline Proline decals from the States. Looked at them, thought well nice and was happy for a bit.  :)
I started applying the smaller decals first. Then moved onto the larger ones (still cool). Finally got to the downtube decals... The bloody things are about 3" too long (now i'm not impressed).! >:(
So, 1 sh1tty e:mail to the States later, i'm sat here thinking "i can sort this". So out comes the ruler and craft knife. A bit of fumbling later...kinda happy again. I can just about make out the join, but it'll do for now.  ;)

It's getting there...

Before...

After...

Other side...

Decal join...

Rear end...

Another shot of the seat tube gusset...

Parts from Steve  ;)...

And finally the decal sets  :knuppel2:...

Image intensive i know. But i love taking pics  ;)   G.

zed4130

« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2007, 05:23 PM »
its looking amazing mate, i cant wait to see it all done , is it going to mk  :daumenhoch:

GREMLIN

« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2007, 05:41 PM »
It may well come along to M.k m8.  Won't be finished tho.  :LolLolLolLol:
I'm at the stage now where i'm going to be up against plenty of people to get hold of the finishing bits. The elusive parts time of the build, or costly.
A pair of Redline Str v-bars/pro bars... Tuf neck/Pro neck stem (polished)... Black Kashimax Aero. Oh and a Redline black/grey/red top tube pad. I'm not interested in a stem pad (don't want to hide my mirror finish stem). I prefer my v-bars not to have a pad on either (looks less weighty). Hope it'll be easier to pick up a single top tube pads too.
So basically i'm 4 parts away from completing it.  :daumenhoch:   G.   

zed4130

« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2007, 06:01 PM »
It may well come along to M.k m8.  Won't be finished tho.  :LolLolLolLol:
I'm at the stage now where i'm going to be up against plenty of people to get hold of the finishing bits. The elusive parts time of the build, or costly.
A pair of Redline Str v-bars/pro bars... Tuf neck/Pro neck stem (polished)... Black Kashimax Aero. Oh and a Redline black/grey/red top tube pad. I'm not interested in a stem pad (don't want to hide my mirror finish stem). I prefer my v-bars not to have a pad on either (looks less weighty). Hope it'll be easier to pick up a single top tube pads too.
So basically i'm 4 parts away from completing it.  :daumenhoch:   G.  

:daumenhoch: all sounds good mate  :daumenhoch:

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2007, 06:06 PM »
jeez luise, check the print on that ad Ron  :2funny: and that carrera promo would have been done at least 3 months before to allow for publishing times.

by the way, i have the same test and you'll find it is BMX Plus magazine not BMX action  ;)

Whooops.... BMX PLUS ;) just testing  ::)

The bars on the promo add are not the same as the bars on the test bike , look at the distance between the stem pad and bar pad on the Pro Line bars, even without the stem pad, the gap on the test bike is not as big...  here is another factor...

My 1981 Carrera :)

That bike is looking good Mr Gremlin, well done :daumenhoch:

kowalski

« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2007, 10:00 PM »
looking nice gav, not happy about that decal cutting though whats that all about? are they the ones from the bay i dont understand why they dont fit please explain im in panic mode :-\

gt0733

« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2007, 12:03 AM »
looking good there Grem  :daumenhoch: good luck finding THAT pad  :2funny: patience will be needed  :coolsmiley:

hey Ron, that looks great with the blue, looks exactly like the ad. well done  :daumenhoch:

Frosty

« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2007, 09:37 AM »
I thought the chainstay bridge came in 83, for the PL's have I been mistaken?

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2007, 12:28 PM »
Whoever has produced the decals has only put the PL24 downtube decal on the sheet and not included the PL20 one i think...hence the extra length.
  Ginnys has some Redline stickers.  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Redline Proline II

gfxgfx
gfx gfx