gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975597 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 08, 2024, 05:12 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Diamond Back Harry Leary Twin Turbo's
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Diamond Back Harry Leary Twin Turbo's  (Read 690 times)

GREMLIN

Diamond Back Harry Leary Twin Turbo's
« on: March 06, 2007, 12:31 PM »
As if it wasn't a hard enough task to finally finish off my 1st Leary turb'. I've only gone and done it again !  :D

This 1's in survivor mode at the mo. The frame has the usual scratches and dinks in the chrome (well 2 or 3). The coating and decals etc are about 99% there, just faded with the usual couple of scrapes and marks.
It's had some Vans bmx and Jt racing decals on it as well. Which means under those parts the original unfaded coat has survived  :daumenhoch:, which is cool. Hopefully i'll be able to find someone around my neck of the woods who can sort a good colour match for me. That'll be somewhere along the line tho. When maybe one day i decide to coat it up. I'm not too sure what to do with it yet. Initially i can def see me cleaning it up and taking it back to chrome. It'll be nice to build it up and be able to take one of my turbo's out and not be worried about screwing up a pristine coating/decals, by banging, scraping or even dropping the bike  :'(
The bottom bracket boots and sealed bearings, inc a sleeve came with it ???? Plus the headset cups which look to have been coated as well, so may be originals too. It's a start.
For the couple of areas which have surface rust (gusset etc), Would it be ok to use oxalic acid to lift it away? Although i'm almost def taking it bak to chrome, i'd like to be able to remove the rust without removing the coating/decals initially. Will they both survive a dip? Or would it be best to try and polish the rust off?  ???  Anybody know?
Finally. When it is gonna be stripped which is the best way to do the job? Without harming the chrome underneath? 
I'm looking forward to making a start on this one. Got to learn to take my time tho. So i'm gonna try not to break my neck rushing to get this one finished  :smitten:   G.

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Diamond Back Harry Leary Twin Turbo's
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 06:35 PM »
nice one gav ,if you decide to strip frame could you try and scrape some of the original coating off so i can use it as a colour match as i only managed to save a tiny bit from mine,i need it to show our paint rep who said he will try and match colour,if so i can get some mixed and finally fix this problem :daumenhoch:
British race frames and race clothing wanted

GREMLIN

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 07:06 PM »
Yeah, no worries Phil. There's plenty of (as new) coating that was protected under the Vans sticker. Even if i strip it down i'll be leaving that area of coating on the frame and will protect it somehow til the lil' problem is worked out. Especially so it can be seen still on the chrome work.
I'll bring it along with me to B'mth when we get together anyhow and we'll sort removing some of it then for your rep to identify  ;)  G.

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 07:09 PM »
cheers gav that will be cool,must get a meet planned soon :daumenhoch:
British race frames and race clothing wanted

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Diamond Back Harry Leary Twin Turbo's

gfxgfx
gfx gfx