gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975573 Posts in 138925 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 21, 2024, 10:40 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Back yard ramp
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Back yard ramp  (Read 26255 times)

Beckyboo

Re: Back yard ramp
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2005, 08:47 PM »
Hope your neighbour isnt cultivating his prize tomatoes in that greenhouse, I can see it being an unlucky crash landing! ;D

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2005, 09:14 PM »
Bill,  I see you have slotted your trannys to accept the crossbearers; how are they fixed in? I see they are nailed at the very ends but what about int' slots?

The reason I ask is because the very top timber will be the bearer of your coping and it needs to be ferking solid, you will break it apart in no time at all otherwise. Not that I'm suggesting you hang up at all...... ;D

Don't start your platforms until the coping is set to height, but you can complete your 'ladder ramp' entirely including surfacing the flat bottom. You want to make sure that you lay your ply in such a pattern that you are able to overlap every available joint and then your top layer offset in order to tie everything together. You may have to add the odd timber here and there in order to have summat to screw to.. It's a wee bit tricky to work out initially, thinking cap on  ;).

You can also fit your bottom layer of tranny ply, starting from the flat bottom with a full sheet working upwards, so your cut piece of ply is fitted to the top section of the tranny under the coping. Again, you may have to add timbers so that the ply joins mid-timber in all directions.

Coping-wise, If I were you I would just have Andy Peerless make it for you, tabs and all. I assume you could carry it on the roof of your van?  I'll then come round, set the coping to height and reach and you can carry on with platforming and final sufacing.  Easy!!  :)

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2005, 10:15 PM »
At the moment the cross brearers are only slotted in the trannys but screwed at the ends, but I need to cut off 6" of the trannys at the top, then I can put the last cross bearer in so I should be able to fix that however it needs to be, should I also fix the other cross bearers ? at the moment they are just slotted in very tightly.
Where should I put the top cross bearer in relation to the coping, i.e. how much room should I leave to fix it to, to be honest I`m a bit lost on the coping fixing  :(
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2005, 10:24 PM »

bill i shouldnt worry about the coping, the size of the fecker nobody is ever gonna get near it anyway

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2005, 10:31 PM »
The coping will sit on top of your final cross bearer, so you need to create a perfectly level, straight line through that top timber. Fit it just the same as the others, but it needs to be mechanically fixed, so maybe run some support timbers vertically down to ground that sit tight to the underside of your top cross bearer.

Why are you chopping the top off again?  I'm sure you know that doing that is going to mellow the ramp out, have you compensated for that?  Mind you, it looks steep enough - probably won't hurt to keep it mellow, makes it a proper midi ramp then.  :)

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2005, 10:37 PM »
It should be 7ft high with an 8ft tranny, or should that read 8ft radius, but I forgot to cut it down to size before I fixed it, so it stands at 7ft 6" which I think would be too steep once the coping is fixed  ;)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2005, 10:52 PM »
Oh, I get ya.  The 'rear' tranny section is cut from a full 8x4 sheet stood on its end right?  take away the height of the flat bottom and your left with a ramp 6" higher than planned, but correctly radiused.

Honestly?   Whether you leave that bit on or lop it off will depend entirely on how much true flat bottom you have in that ramp. Take how much you built in and add another foot (the beginning 6" of tranny is virtually flat). That will give you 'true' flat bottom. If its closer to 12 foot then chop the ramp down. If its closer to 16 foot, leave it in and accept you now own a BIG midi ramp... ;)

Offline danny silverstreak

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2005, 10:55 PM »
i can see a road trip on the cards next summer to bill,s , barbecue, 1 foot , i handed drops in , and a competion who can 360 off the top of ramp and land in trampoline  ;D ;D ;D

theRuler

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2005, 10:56 PM »
sounds great
just make sure that 8ft tranny aint there scaring people away

Offline danny silverstreak

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2005, 10:58 PM »
bill youve done well there mate , i wouldnt have a clue , i spent two hours yesterday trying to mend the sidegate to my house, bought a jigsaw , thought i was the daddy !  god i love powertools  ;D

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2005, 10:59 PM »
mmmmmmm..................Adding in the 6" from the trannys would make it have a 15ft flat bottom, now you`ve got me thinking Rob  :D

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2005, 11:12 PM »
For comparison;  the Skaterham vert ramp will measure out at around 17ft of flat and that goes 11ft high...

rom_kid_04

« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2005, 03:59 PM »
looks like you will have a monster of a ramp bill hope it gets finished soon

mike pardon

« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2005, 04:55 PM »
Billy iam on it when its done mate, do you wanna go head to head like the old days see whos body breaks first :o??
Good job my old son...  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2005, 07:59 PM »
Nice one Billy...looking sweeeet!

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2005, 08:43 PM »
Billy iam on it when its done mate, do you wanna go head to head like the old days see whos body breaks first :o??
Good job my old son...  ;)

Mines already gone Mike  :o

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2005, 09:30 PM »
its looking good billy, but its growing, 5, 6, 7, 7.5 feet tall

Dave
haro, how do you do

dial8d

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2005, 09:40 PM »
bloody hell, that looks the nuts !

My missus wont let me have one though !    :(

woodzy

« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2005, 10:22 PM »
it getting there, looking good

dirtbro

« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2005, 07:42 PM »
here`s mine bill before it was painted it`s 5.5 ft with a 5ft deck  and 6.5 ft with 4ft deck on the other (it just goes vert on this side) i think the tranies are 7.5 but i cant remember . oldshool back gardens are best[/img][/img]

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2005, 10:17 PM »
Thats nice, how does it ride having one side bigger than the other  :o

j...

« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2005, 10:39 PM »
bet u were upset when busted split up, was that a tribute? ::)

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2005, 03:33 AM »
wow thats  lovely.  I've been trying to convince the wife thats its a good idea,  (and everyone of this site has them and therefore perfectly normal) but we only rent, and she thinks the landlord would go apesh*t.

how's yours coming on Bill?
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

dirtbro

« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2005, 12:50 PM »
 bill it`s a bit werid at the start but as anything you do get used to it . one side for airs one side for tech tricks perfect midweek sessions. and to anwser j`s " busted sausage bike co." is a small local company in belfast i started a while ago selling hats and t-shirts i`ll post some pics soon

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2005, 07:58 PM »
Mines gone a bit slow, the weathers a cold and wet at the moment, plus theres not a lot of daylight hours, and I have a severe case of manflu as well  :(

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Back yard ramp

gfxgfx
gfx gfx