gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975553 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 10, 2024, 05:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  proline crank spindle problem
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: proline crank spindle problem  (Read 1119 times)

gt0733

proline crank spindle problem
« on: September 21, 2007, 04:24 AM »
righto, i've pressed the sealed bearings into the robinson frame after measureing the width and i decided not to put the spacer tube in. meaning the spacer that goes between the bearings was too long by about 4mm, so the cups would not press all the way into the frame. after doing that  i've now found that the spindle will not go past the non drive bearing far enough, leaving the spindle off centre and will result in unacceptable misalignment for the back sprocket when the drive side crank is pushed onto the spindle. out comes the soft faced hammer to force the spindle further through the non drive bearing ........it does not move  :tickedoff:

now the question i have is, does this particular spindle only go through the bearings from the non drive side or i was i wrong leaving the spacer out?

i put the same crank set on my son's redline and never had a problem, i did put the spacer in, but i cannot see how this would affect the spindle pushing through the non drive bearing. maybe i fluked it  :D

oh and a huge POOBAH to redline for not supplying fitting instructions.............modern day redline  :knuppel2:

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: proline crank spindle problem
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 08:35 AM »
you need the spacer tube. otherwise when you tighten up the crank arms, the bearings will have pressure put on the inner race. the tube stops them being pressed inwards, and mis aligning them.

trim the tube if need be, but a little bit protruding is acceptable, they tell you to expect this on the profile fitting instructions.
I want to touch ORB

SaMAlex

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 08:40 AM »
The spindle should go right through, from either way. If its tight, the bearing are probably out of line (outer face of the BB shell might not be totally square?). Just hit the spindle harder with the rubber hammer, or use one of those cool screw in 'drift' tools that are specificaly for smacking profile spindles (I think they come with the cranks now?).

It shouldnt matter if the spindle is off center a bit, as long as its more than half way through both of the crank arms. Its nice if it comes almost all the way through (you can get longer spindles) but anything over half way through should be fine.

gt0733

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 10:36 PM »
thanks fellas. i think i've worked out that one bearing is not square to the other. i'll have to gently tap one out, put the spacer and spindle in then tap the bearing back into the frame. wish me luck  ;)

darkersomeday

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 10:03 AM »
try putting the cup/bearing in with the axle in place, this way the axle will "steer" the cup/bearing in and if it tightens up too much you know that the alignment is drifting out,

good luck :daumenhoch:

gt0733

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 10:29 PM »
try putting the cup/bearing in with the axle in place, this way the axle will "steer" the cup/bearing in and if it tightens up too much you know that the alignment is drifting out,

good luck :daumenhoch:

thanks mate, i'm pretty sure thats how i did the last set. this time i thought i'd be smart and press the bearings in first. i lost  :LolLolLolLol:
i hope i can get the bearing out now without hurting it. if not, it's loose ball one piece time  ;D

gt0733

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 05:06 AM »
woohoo, success  :daumenhoch:

i tapped the bearing out (i tell you them cups are soft  :idiot2: ) put the spacer in and tapped the bearing back in. these will do nicely for my rider  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  proline crank spindle problem

gfxgfx
gfx gfx