gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975551 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 09, 2024, 08:03 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  FRONT POTTS MOD CONVERSION
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: FRONT POTTS MOD CONVERSION  (Read 2940 times)

Stella Dave

FRONT POTTS MOD CONVERSION
« on: October 18, 2007, 02:04 PM »
I'm nearing completion of my Ruffell Streetbeat so I'm down to a few bits including FRONT POTTS MOD CONVERSION.

Is it basically the brake cable going through the stem and out at forks somewhere??
Want to know more about it, set up and where the name comes from please!?

Also, do i need anything else apart from the Skyway freestyle stem and hollow bolt that came with it? Is longer cable needed?

Idiots guide please!

SaMAlex

Re: FRONT POTTS MOD CONVERSION
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 02:11 PM »
Potts was the dude who came up with the idea of having a hollow stem bolt and putting the front cable down there (so you can spin the bars). Later, he also invented the locking brake lever that was called the Potts mod 2.

Just bung the cable down there, it will need to be longer tho, and the adjuster and pinch bolt on the front brake will need to be the correct way round to do it.

JT71

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 02:52 PM »
I was wondering the same. my bulldog brakes have arrived.
it looks like the hole in the stem bolt I have will take the cable, so I've bought two back
cables so I can make the front one reach. I'm using a standard SR stem, I had to drill it out
to accomadate the hollow stem bolt.

I also have some locking lee chi levers, which I'm told are Tech V copies. although they are red, so won;t really suit my
colour scheme, but it is a rider not a show pony so it matters not.

just got it back from the painters, it basically been done for free, so i can't really complain about the runs around the
headtube and bottom bracket. oh well. it's going to get wrecked anyway.

SaMAlex

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 02:58 PM »
The brake set you have there are "pots mod" ready. The one on the left is the rear, cos the outer cable comes in from the top, and the pinch bolt is underneath. The brake on the right is the front and its ready for a pots mod cable cos the inner comes from below (the adjuster us underneath) and the pinch bolt is at the top.

Havin a look at some other freestyle builds should help.

Stella Dave

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 03:01 PM »
all makes sense now, cheers!
Wot happens with the quick release on mx1000's, does it just move upsidedown too?

JT71

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 03:02 PM »
The brake set you have there are "pots mod" ready. The one on the left is the rear, cos the outer cable comes in from the top, and the pinch bolt is underneath. The brake on the right is the front and its ready for a pots mod cable cos the inner comes from below (the adjuster us underneath) and the pinch bolt is at the top.

Havin a look at some other freestyle builds should help.

cheers, I'd figured out the brakes just about, but now wondering where the back one goes, down between the chain stays
or up by the seat tube, or is it personal preference?
It's going to have Burner bars and a GT chain ring, but I reckon I can get this built tonight.

time to browse the museum me thinks.

SaMAlex

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 03:06 PM »
all makes sense now, cheers!
Wot happens with the quick release on mx1000's, does it just move upsidedown too?

The QR stays in the same place, just the adjuster and pinch bolt swap round. I think the adjuster and pinch bolt on MX1000s are both swappable but the QR is fixed (rivited) to the arm. Its about 20 years since I set up an MX1000 so Im not to sure.

Front Nippons were "pots mod" specific and had a very nice pinch bolt / adjuster at the top.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  FRONT POTTS MOD CONVERSION

gfxgfx
gfx gfx