gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975605 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 12, 2024, 09:12 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  The whole Stephen Murray thing
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The whole Stephen Murray thing  (Read 746 times)

muttley

The whole Stephen Murray thing
« on: October 31, 2007, 10:43 AM »
I can honestly say that i havent really kept up to date with the in's and outs but i caught the thread the other day with the pic of him smiling etc.

Now when it first happened i, and i think a few others, were of the opinion 'why the hell arent GT or his insurance covering this'?

I dont know if GT have stumped up anything but the last couple of months have really opened my eyes up with all the fund raising and even other manufacturers donating to the cause.

All i can say is my view has changed and it just goes to show that perhaps the industry you put your life and soul into can turn its back on you, kind of reminds me of the late 80's when it all went rebel and it was all for one and one for all basically sticking 2 fingers up at the whole machine.

We now have riders looking out for riders and i seriously hope that the big players  ::) in the industry looks at this and takes note.

Get well soon Stephen  ;)

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: The whole Stephen Murray thing
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 10:45 AM »
i couldnt agree more muttley.

Frosty

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 10:55 AM »
Here here, I saw Ryan Nyquist interviewed in a Dew tour program I saw at the weekend and he was talking about what happened, which is still good to hear the riders don't forget!

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 11:01 AM »
I said at the time that his bike company should have had him insured and surely it's in their Duty Of Care for them to look after an employee.

I think that Oakley have been supporting him throughout though. But then Oakley were always that kind of company.

MeddlE

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 11:04 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought he wasn't actually riding for anyone at the time of the accident?

I don't think that any of the riders who were there on the day are going to forget Stephen anytime soon, that sort of slam sticks in your mind.

dialledbikes

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 11:11 AM »
Meddle is right, Stephen did not have a bike sponsor at the time of his accident.

But you would think that if a bike company is big/wealthy enough to pay riders to ride/promote their products, then they would throw in a private medical package too, especially in the US where there is no NHS as such.

Riding for a bike company should be no different from playing for a football or basketball team in terms of medical cover.

I'm also surprised how few riders seem to bother taking out a policy themselves.

It's great to see how BMX has collectively helped Stephen Murray though.

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 11:16 AM »
i cant really say much about this, but one thing is 4 sure that 1- i hope and prey that he has a full and contented life (my thoughts are with u and your family) and 2- That these  big bmx firms get off there arses and give this chap all he deserves(financially) its because of people like this that there "BRAND" is out there , so if you marketing people are by the off chance reading this , what bigger ad could u do by giving this chap and his family the financial aid they will surely need (ps . Whats 1 big cheque written out by a person who has probably never even ridden a bmx , to give 2 a person who commited his whole life 2 it)

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 11:22 AM »
how do u donate to this chap?

muttley

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 11:31 AM »
My bad, thought he was still on GT.

dialledbikes

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 12:27 PM »
I couldn't agree more that I hope the companies that Stephen Murray helped to promote ensure he and his family are provided for going forward.

I also hope that other riders don't find themselves in a similar position and are sensible/responsible enough to take out some form of insurance if their sponsors/employers don't provide one.

Offline egg

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 12:38 PM »
it's not just the bmx industry who should be helping out! how about the tv networks? surely they should put up adequate insurance for everyone that takes part in these events,riders are literally putting their lives on the line to promote a tv show.

almasterb

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 02:08 PM »
Did anyone see the Dew Tour finals on tv last weekend? They had a video of Stephen Murray talking about the accident and what his life has been since. It was a very emotional story.

Trev

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 02:57 PM »
how do u donate to this chap?

you can donate via here - http://www.stephenmurrayfamilyfund.com/

and check out the website here - http://www.stephenmurray.org/

JT71

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 05:13 PM »
I wear my murraystrong wrist band, but that's about as much as I've done so far.

I might auction some stuff and donate the proceeds, seems like a good thing to do.

maybe you could all sponsor me £1 for every inch of air I can get out of a mini ramp?

1 inch would be an awesome acheivement for me.

(bear in mind the only one and only time i've been in a mini ramp it needed twobobrob to save me from crashing into
the ramp on my one and only attempt to pop out)

I'll risk my body if you chaps put up the cash.

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 05:22 PM »
ill sponser u , £5 per inch , please make sure u get some big air :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

JT71

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 06:39 PM »
well, it looks like we have a fund raising event. oh poooo.  :LolLolLolLol:

Superkav

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 04:13 PM »
That bought the tears out, bloody hell. You can tell he has a fighters spirit and the determination to beat the odds. True Brit grit :Great_Britain:

Stay Strong Stephen!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  The whole Stephen Murray thing

gfxgfx
gfx gfx