gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975557 Posts in 138923 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 12, 2024, 06:06 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Nikyo Headset/ GT Performer Fitting problem...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Nikyo Headset/ GT Performer Fitting problem...  (Read 1091 times)

Offline funkyfresh

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Nikyo Headset/ GT Performer Fitting problem...
« on: November 11, 2007, 09:09 PM »
I have a black Nikyo headset and an 85 performer.

Got the local bike shop to fit the cups, but they say the crown part is the wrong size?

I tried myself and cannot knock it on, even after freezing the forks/ putting crown in hot water...

The shop said something about US v Japenses headset sizes, and that i would need to reduce the diameter of the forks using a special headset tool?

is this right, or are they quite often very very tight?

i dont want to start filing etc, if i really have the wrong headset...

Cheers

M

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Nikyo Headset/ GT Performer Fitting problem...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 10:46 PM »
My Nikyo was a buggar to get the cups into the frame and really took some effort but the bottom race on the forks went on OK.  When I worked in a bike shop we used to use a short price of scaffold tube to get the races onto the forks, maybe it just needs a bit of brute force  :-\.  You could try filing the inside of the race to open it up a bit, I can't imagine you'd need to take too much off.  Have you measured with a pair of vernier calipers to see how much it's out by?

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline funkyfresh

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 07:12 PM »
Well i used Dremel type stone to open up the inside diameter of the race, but it was still a sod to put on. In the end even heating quite hot wouldn't help and I've managed to spit the damm race now...

So basically, did i Have the wrong headset size for the forks? is there a Jap size and a US size?

Any suggestions welcome?

And anyone with a blue or black headset for sale, LMK....

M

fLA

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 04:23 PM »
I hope I will be lucky in fitting a black Nikyo headset in also.. a GT PP 1985.... :buck2:

if not .... I will be the biggest  :Aresehole:.. because there was this topic here and I didn´t search ...

I have a GT Epoch in metal top cap and I can´t fit the Giro detangler systems (the cups are too large for the Gyro to slide over).

so.. I bought the Nikyo in hope that it solve the problem... but now... i think that I should...  :bondage:

Funky fresh... what did you do????

regards,

fLAVIO

Offline funkyfresh

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 04:29 PM »
I'm still waiting on some advice, F.... :daumenhoch:

Aplogies to MartyC....I meant to say thankyou for your reply, but completely forgot...I'm not normally that rude (excpet to my girlfriend, but thats allowed isnt it?!  ;) 

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 09:45 PM »
The French are the ones that usually have different sizes to the rest of the world  :LolLolLolLol:.  I might have a spare fork race kicking around in my parts box - I'll have a dig around to see one night this week  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline funkyfresh

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 07:55 PM »
Thats very kind of you, Marty..if you have any items that your after, LMK, i have some spares...

I have a crown race but its knackered...alll pitted/rusted etc.

M

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 08:34 AM »
I too had a right time of fitting my Nikyo headset but like Marty, it was the cups that did me in! took me about an hour to get em in and they just went in before they got thrown the length of my road!!  :tickedoff:

didn't have any issue with the race though  :-\

If Marty doesn't have a spare then i do sitting right next to me in my office!  so if you want it just let me know mate  :daumenhoch:

Offline double chevron

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 09:33 AM »
The French are the ones that usually have different sizes to the rest of the world  :LolLolLolLol:

That was true on some road bikes, but you UK guys ride with mismatched brakes levers , rear is right hand...   :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Nikyo Headset/ GT Performer Fitting problem...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx