gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975555 Posts in 138923 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 11, 2024, 05:37 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  New school crank advice please - DMR Chieftain Mk2
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New school crank advice please - DMR Chieftain Mk2  (Read 1414 times)

garethgeezer

New school crank advice please - DMR Chieftain Mk2
« on: January 27, 2008, 09:55 PM »
Been away for a while but wanting to fit new cranks to my new school hack, so I bought some second hand DMR Chieftain Mk2's as they seemed to have a good reputation. Look super strong and easy to fit I thought. Anyways, the cranks arms are going to be a very tight fit onto the splines of the BB axle, which is fine, but my worry is that once I get them on I won't be able to get them off! Is there a special tool or something that I need when fitting/removing these things? I have tried a regular crank arm puller that I use on my... ahem... mtb, but it doesn't seem to be the same thread as the crank arms. So I don't really want to try fitting them until I know I can get them off again. Anyone know if I'm missing something here?!

dibly

Re: New school crank advice please - DMR Chieftain Mk2
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 11:34 PM »
copper grease on the splines and lots of it dude, iv had a few of these cranks now and they should come with a tool to remove them its the same as what comes with profile cranks  :daumenhoch:

garethgeezer

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 08:41 AM »
Cheers dibly, that all makes sense and sounds promising. Do you know for a fact (have you tried) if a Profile crank tool will fit the DMR cranks, do they have exactly the same thread etc etc. Looks like I can get the Profile tool easier than a DMR one, so if it works I'll go buy one asap.
Thanks man :)

dibly

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 07:58 PM »
i think it is the same dude but i remenber that they also come with self extracting bolts so you dont need the tool really and they are easy to get hold of just try the profile tool but just be carefull dont want you fooking up the threads but self extracting is the future i think  :daumenhoch:

garethgeezer

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 08:52 PM »
Thanks Dibly, I found out after some trawling that they did come with the self-extractors. I'm going buy some SS's as that's what I really want, so I'm now selling these DMR's in the for sale section. Hopefully they will be of use to someone.
Thanks again mate :)

bof

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 09:06 PM »
I was just going to say I have some self extracting rings for DMR's but you dont need them now. :daumenhoch:

garethgeezer

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 10:32 PM »
LOL!! Thanks bof! I got them up for sale now but I'll let whoever buys 'em know that you might be able to help. Got my heart set on some Profiles now, it's only money eh?!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  New school crank advice please - DMR Chieftain Mk2

gfxgfx
gfx gfx