gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975553 Posts in 138922 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 11, 2024, 09:10 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hombre Brake Noisy
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hombre Brake Noisy  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Hombre Brake Noisy
« on: February 15, 2008, 09:17 PM »
Just fitted a hombre brake and it squeels like a pig at the butchers, before fitting took the braking surface off using wet/dry on a flat surface, seems to work ok, just too noisy, will it settle in or should I just fit my old brake blocks in.
Its not a chrome rim its annodized black

SaMAlex

Re: Hombre Brake Noisy
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 09:24 PM »
The noise is usually from the trailing edge of the block vibrating on the rim. "Toe" it in. Make sure the leading edge of the block hits the rim a few mm before the trailing edge. That way, the rotation of the rim will flex arm and block onto the rim, not away from it.

If you do it too much the brake can feel spongey and not work as well. I find that on a damp day I have to toe the blocks in more than on a dry warm day cos they damp makes the noise worse. I call it "turning down the volume"

subversion

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 09:28 PM »
Did you 'fit' it for clearance on the brake posts 1st? I usually check the clearance of a new brake by fitting the arm on the brake post & then fixing it down without a spring on it & checking to see how much up & down play you have. You can they dress the top of the brake post to fit it nicely. Other things are the usual, plenty of grease on the post before fitting the arms & what Alex said :daumenhoch:

SaMAlex

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 09:34 PM »
Hey, Ian ... what if you had a BMX blog, with a handy photo'ed guide of how to stop loose brake arms from making loads of noise??

That would be good, wouldnt it?  ::)

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 09:35 PM »
They are toed in slightly and it does feel a little spongy but I put that down to the new bridge cable, greased the posts, but it does sound like squeel rather than a vibration, DML if anyone has heard his brakes at rom that sounds more like a vibe.

subversion

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 09:36 PM »
brb...

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 09:40 PM »
i love the squeaky noise   :LolLolLolLol:

SaMAlex

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 09:42 PM »
Its probably (can only really be) either the blocks on the rim, or the arms on the frame mounts. If you are happy that the blocks are toe'd in then you could try ..........

(Que link to Subversions handy Blog)

subversion

SaMAlex

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 09:54 PM »
Nice one Ian. All very handy.

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 10:52 PM »
Cheers guys ptfe tape it is :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hombre Brake Noisy

gfxgfx
gfx gfx