gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975561 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 13, 2024, 05:46 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tips on pedal removal
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Tips on pedal removal  (Read 1016 times)

nhoj

Tips on pedal removal
« on: April 06, 2008, 10:09 PM »
Can anyone give me any tips on the best way to remove stubborn pedals?

Saw on an old thread that it may be a case of scaffold pole over spanner!! I'll have to find a pole first and I don't want to snap a spanner!!

Do pedals have an opposite thread to normal nuts and bolts? lefty tighty, righty loosy?

Thanks in advance

jackel

Re: Tips on pedal removal
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 10:14 PM »
Can anyone give me any tips on the best way to remove stubborn pedals?

Saw on an old thread that it may be a case of scaffold pole over spanner!! I'll have to find a pole first and I don't want to snap a spanner!!

Do pedals have an opposite thread to normal nuts and bolts? lefty tighty, righty loosy?

Thanks in advance
try the spanner the other way pedals are reverse thread on one side

nhoj

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 10:17 PM »
Reverse thread on the near or off side?

jackel

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 10:19 PM »
Reverse thread on the near or off side?
dont know the side off hand but i,m sure the pedals are threaded so that when your riding they wont come off(riding motion would tighten)

perry

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 10:27 PM »
right hand side ( chainring side ) is right hand thread ( tightens clockwise )

left side is left hand thread ( tightens anti clockwise )

if it wont budge with a decent lean soak it in wd40 ( o similar ) or diesel

remember to pull towards you not push away , as if it lips or something snaps its easier on yourself if your pulling in but pushing out could land your hand in a lot of pain with your bodys weight behind it

stuff that seizes needs a sharp shock not a progressive untighten ,  when it comes undone itl do it suddenly

try putting a foot on the end of the spanner and give t a purposefull stamp , but mind the spanner doesnt doesnt fly off

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 10:28 PM »
They undo the opposite way to what you pedal   :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 10:29 PM »

What Perry said    :daumenhoch:

A good quality spanner too, you want the best fit possible   :)

Flaz

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 10:31 PM »
take em round romblokes  ;)   :daumenhoch:  init dave  :LolLolLolLol:

lodge

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 10:33 PM »
Make sure you got the spanner size spot on, spray some good quality penetrating oil in the back of the pedal axle and leave overnight, then muscle is required.
If your not fussed about the crank tap with a hammer (quite hard) the crank surface around the pedal axle before trying to loosen.

moley

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 10:54 PM »
Leverage is always good.

If you use a small spanner then it wont help either.

I have tried smacking the spanner with a hammer in the past.   That certainly works but the spanner tends to fly off and you could damage your bike.

I invested in a pedal spanner which has a longer handle.

The longer the handle, the greater the leverage, the easier it is.

If you have another bike then check which way loosens and which way tightens.

I have tried loosening pedals in the past only to discover I was tightening them instead.   Its an easy mistake to make!!!

thecrooch

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 09:06 AM »
i find the easiest way to remember is that the spanner always goes towards the back wheel...    8)

oh and i use a pair of forks as leverage i find i take out the missus's ornaments with the scaffold poles...  also have you seen the size of scaffolders you dont piss those guys off!  :knuppel2:

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 09:30 AM »
Local bike shop  :daumenhoch:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 08:22 PM »
buy a proper pedal spanner for starters....even decent quality spanners will flare at the sign of a 15 stone man squeezing fu'ck out of it.

pedal spanners are longer than your average combination spanner too...thus more leverage.....if this still doesnt work, then get a scaffold tube over the spanner, about four foot long is plenty, and the pedal will not resist....ask flaz.....grrrrr....dave strong like bull

Dave
haro, how do you do

motomagII

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 08:28 AM »
i must have broke about 10 15mm spanners trying to get stubborn pedals off in the past one defeated me and never budged on set redline prolines too,soak in wd40 first is good move though it seems to loosen the seal on the threads a bit

snav69

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 08:48 AM »
Turn your bike upsidedown and stand at the chainring side , undo your pedal towards the front wheel (anticlockwise) and lean over and do the same to the other pedal turning it towards the front wheel  ;) Oh and use a good Stilson wrench for stubbon fookers  :knuppel2:  :LolLolLolLol:

:coolsmiley:

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 12:55 PM »
i must have broke about 10 15mm spanners trying to get stubborn pedals off

Me too!!  But beware because if some bright spark has used Loctite to put them on with then chances are they won't be coming off ..... ever!!  I have a DMR V8 on a haro crank arm that has defeated me and even resulted in my bench vice breaking first.  The scaffold pole leverage caused the vice to yield.  Good luck.  Humps

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 07:53 PM »
Added 20:00hrs:  Spurred by this thread I decided to liberate my DMRs with a hacksaw.  It worked!!  I did think whilst doing it that maybe I would have been better to put the crank arms and pedals on Ebay and make the problem someone elses!!   >:D Humps

spectre

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2008, 03:51 PM »
Currently struggling with this exact problem, cannot believe how goddamn stubborn these things are.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Tips on pedal removal

gfxgfx
gfx gfx