gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975563 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 16, 2024, 04:44 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  How to get into old school racing and bike wanted.......
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How to get into old school racing and bike wanted.......  (Read 1650 times)

MINI_BURNER

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at trying to get into old school racing so do you any of you "old schoolers" have any tips/recommendations?  Do they run a senior class for us  erm...over 30's?

I also will require a bike so does anyone have anything hald decent for sale, ideally with a long TT as I'm 6@ tall.

Thanks in advance ;)

Longun

Re: How to get into old school racing and bike wanted.......
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 11:56 PM »
Whereabouts are you?
Old school racing isn't limited by age, although it does tend to be us oldies in it - the defining factor is that your bike has a 1" threaded headset and caliper brakes which tends to limit the bikes to pre-1990 but there are a few later models that will work.

MINI_BURNER

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 12:28 AM »
Hi Buddy,

I'm down in Dorset bit willing to travel within reason for meets.   First of all I have to find myself a bike and do some training/practicing, my mates got an old burner, what do you reckon?

thecrooch

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 09:26 AM »
Hi Buddy,

I'm down in Dorset bit willing to travel within reason for meets.   First of all I have to find myself a bike and do some training/practicing, my mates got an old burner, what do you reckon?

Welcome mate

The age thing really isnt an issue tbh at 30 you will be one fo the spring chickens!!!  there are a couple in their 50's racing!  its all good fun!  changed my year around I must say...

there are plenty of bikes around - the main issue (well for me) was finding one that is comfortable, most of the OS bikes of the early 80's all had Top tubes of about 18" which is fine if you are 5ft 7 or under - there are a lot of us who are over 6ft so finding something that you can still move about on can be a bit tricky.

later in the era bikes started growing a bit so if you are taller then you want to be looking for something with a TT of about 21"

you'll get lots of advice on here - tell us what you need - you'll be amazed at how resourceful we all are!

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 11:05 AM »
Hi Buddy,

I'm down in Dorset bit willing to travel within reason for meets.   First of all I have to find myself a bike and do some training/practicing, my mates got an old burner, what do you reckon?

avoid it like the plague unless its an aero pro or the like.
I want to touch ORB

MINI_BURNER

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 06:03 PM »
Thanks for info guys :daumenhoch: 

What late era bikes should I be looking at and how much should I be looking at spending?  I don't want to spend a fortune just incase I don't get on with it, so all info gratefully received!!

Broggie

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 06:14 PM »
I really dont want to say Haro Group 1, so I wont  :2funny:

following on this thread how do you get assigned a number for your plate in OS racing as my bike is nearly ready and I'm almost ready to be t boned to death  :'(

I know nothing about bmx racing, OS or otherwise.

Ray.

MINI_BURNER

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 06:55 PM »
Haro Group 1...................I've seen that the frame and forks are really cheap from Alans circa £75  Are they any good?

THIRSTYKIRSTY

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 06:59 PM »
1 WORD

CRAP

R :-\

Broggie

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 07:05 PM »
Mine is a 1995, 21" TT and for me as soon as i got on it it felt so much better to ride than everything else I had bought...trouble is there are various incarnations of the group 1 and its finding the right one for you...I got mine as a survivor for £46 complete off the bay, sure I had to spend a few bob on it, but after after spending hundreds on a TA and an 84 master it was chickenfeed in comparison.

Mine aint crap  :knuppel2: >:D well not until I bust it  ;D

Hmm I see what you mean madd dogg, that one on alans looks a bit weedy, but mines mid school, old school legal
 and completely different than those ones on alans.

Ray.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 07:11 PM by Broggie »

THIRSTYKIRSTY

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 07:08 PM »
RAY

JUST WAT YA USED TOO INIT

I HAVE HAD A GO ON A FEW AND CANT GET AWAY WITH EM ,,BUT IF YA STICK WITH 1 IT WOULD PROBS B FINE

R

sonic-1

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 08:15 PM »
iv tryed the haro group 1 rs1 great bike very light n very twitchy here it is top tube mesures 20.5"

i then found a haro group 1 pro xxl top tube messures 22" its much more stable can kinda save it when it trys to spit me off

yer can realy see the difrence in lenght

MINI_BURNER

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 08:40 PM »
Sonic, are either of them for sale?

thecrooch

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 09:14 AM »
there are plenty of group 1's around, personally i went for a Free Agent Limo - has about the same length TT as Sonic's but i feel the geometry it a lot better (sorry buddy) i built it on saturday night rode it for the first time on sunday at the Herne Bay regional and it felt like ive been riding it all my life!!! 

probably a little harder to find than a group 1 though.

sonic-1

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 04:49 PM »
Sonic, are either of them for sale?
defo not selling the pro xxl like it to much was goin to build the other for my son at some point
as crooch says find yer self a FA limo looks a real nice bit of kit his looks the nuts realy fancy one of those next

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 06:21 PM »
steves selling a nice hyper in the for sale section :daumenhoch:

zed4130

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 06:42 PM »
wereabouts in dorset mate, i live in parkstone, i mainly ride trails, good practice for racing, i sometimes get over to the iford track aswell, i had ago at racing last year, i loved it, although having physio on my neck at the mo, bad landing  :LolLolLolLol:  pm me if you fancy a wobble  :daumenhoch:

paul

KGB Matt

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 06:58 AM »
Sonic - 1 If you measure the RS1 centre of head tube to centre of seat tube you will find it is actually only 19.5" long.

I bought one from Alans to replace my KGB race frame and it turned out to be the same length.  :wtf: :tickedoff:

Mini Burner -: I am 6'4" and ride a Power Lite it is only 20.5" but with an XL stem it is a nice ride.

You need to look out for a long top tube to be comfortable.

Good luck

Matt

MINI_BURNER

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 10:20 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys!!

I've been offered a Robinson Pro which has a 19.5 TT, do you think that this will be suitable as I'm 6' tall?

How easy would it be to locate a XL or XXL oldish school stem?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 10:25 AM by MINI_BURNER »

thecrooch

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 10:24 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys!!

I've been offered a Robinson Pro which has a 19.5 TT, do you think that this will be suitable as I'm 6' tall?

yep should be just about - you might want  a pro xl stem as well

MINI_BURNER

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 10:31 AM »
Are the Pro XL stems easy to locate?

thecrooch

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 10:33 AM »
Are the Pro XL stems easy to locate?

shouldnt be a probelm - just keep and eye on the for sale section.

MINI_BURNER

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 11:09 PM »
Right then lads, I'm almost there.....................I've just secured a deal on a 1990 Robinson Pro!!!   All I need now is a Profile Pro XL stem, anyone got one?

thecrooch

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 09:05 AM »
Right then lads, I'm almost there.....................I've just secured a deal on a 1990 Robinson Pro!!!   All I need now is a Profile Pro XL stem, anyone got one?

some one had one of the upside down profiles for sale.

looks like we have enough robbo's to have their own little cup.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Events  |  Old School Series Racing  |  How to get into old school racing and bike wanted.......

gfxgfx
gfx gfx