gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975596 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 06, 2024, 03:50 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  frame/forks/bars id please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: frame/forks/bars id please  (Read 3680 times)

terrywastecake

frame/forks/bars id please
« on: August 22, 2009, 02:41 PM »
Hi folks,

wondered if you would be kind enough to have a look and see if you can id these bits.

was a mates bike, came with a diamond back stem, raleigh burner chainwheel, sugino one piece crank and maxy cross pedals. i reckon it's a mish mash of bits. forks i think are either tange tx1200 or tx500 could anyone confirm? not sure about the frame it has similiar drop outs to a tange frame and teardrop/oval tubing. not sure about the bars either. anyway, here they are....

as it was...

frame/forks

top bracket

bottom bracket

brake bridge

dropout

forks

bars

any help much appreciated, oh and are the forks supposed to be angled from the stem??

cheers

(pics came out small. can confirm the forks are stamped tange japan 2C and the handlebars stamped cr-mo h t. the frame serial is J40177449 - the 0 could be a J, looks like a 0 but left half missing)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 02:58 PM by terrywastecake »

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: frame/forks/bars id please
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 03:18 PM »
is the frame tubing oval??if so it could be a raleigh aero pro burner.the bars look like mid 80's gt,but i might be wrong on both counts :crazy2:
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

terrywastecake

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 03:25 PM »
cheers for the reply. defo not an aero pro as the drop outs are too fat and stubby, also the two bottom tubes have a tight radius where they approach the wheel, the aero pro is a slight radius.

the tubes are oval (lower) and teardrop (top)

the helpful folks on burnerworld mention it might be an acorn freeway? anyone confirm or have any pics?

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 03:45 PM »

....... forks i think are either tange tx1200 or tx500 could anyone confirm?

TX-1200W  :daumenhoch:

The TX-500W (full chro-mo) have "triangular-ish" cut outs whereas the TX1200W have circles  :daumenhoch:

1980 shimano catalogue :

:daumenhoch:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

terrywastecake

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 03:59 PM »

....... forks i think are either tange tx1200 or tx500 could anyone confirm?

TX-1200W  :daumenhoch:

The TX-500W (full chro-mo) have "triangular-ish" cut outs whereas the TX1200W have circles  :daumenhoch:

thanks for that and, well, thats what i thought until i stumbled upon this

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/9726/feb80maybect6.jpg

the forks on this are angled between the fork stem and the fork itself, similiar to mine, so i assumed that they were 500's. can you confirm that the 1200's are also angled??
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 04:02 PM by terrywastecake »

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 07:06 PM »

Errr... not too sure what you mean there mate  ???

Identifying TX500/1200 is all in the shape of the cut-outs in the drop outs as far as I'm concerned  ??? The angles/geometry should be pretty much identical - but the 500's are lighter as they are chro-mo  ;)

Here is a better pic of that catalogue with some doodles on from me - If you ask me from your pics your forks are without question 1200's  :daumenhoch:

terrywastecake

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 08:02 PM »
hey boba, i'm pretty sure you're right, but if you click on the link on my previous post you will see that the cut outs in the drop outs of the 500's are clearly circular just like the 1200's. also the fork stem on the 500's is at an angle to the actual forks which is similiar to the forks i have (look at my side on photo of the forks and you'll see the angle). i'm not sure if the 1200's have this angle or if they are straight as i have never seen a side on photo.

anyway, i still agree i think they are 1200's. just need an id on the frame now. any idea?

think it might be an akisu but would be nice to know what bike it was made for.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 08:05 PM by terrywastecake »

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 08:15 PM »

hey boba, i'm pretty sure you're right, but if you click on the link on my previous post you will see that the cut outs in the drop outs of the 500's are clearly circular just like the 1200's.

Only other thing you can do then is weigh them  ;)

My NOS TX-500's weigh in at 795g for reference (the 1200's will be heavier maybe by 50g or so not exactly sure really - sold the 2 pairs I had a long time ago  ;) )

terrywastecake

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 09:40 PM »

Only other thing you can do then is weigh them  ;)

My NOS TX-500's weigh in at 795g for reference (the 1200's will be heavier maybe by 50g or so not exactly sure really - sold the 2 pairs I had a long time ago  ;) )

blimey! a minefield of information!!  8)

i think i'll settle on the 1200's.

just the frame now............

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  frame/forks/bars id please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx