gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975599 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 08, 2024, 11:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Brakes - recommendations please...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Brakes - recommendations please...  (Read 4784 times)

nosepickben

Re: Brakes - recommendations please...
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2008, 10:17 PM »
Ok, starts off here with short odyssey monolever, and a barrell adjuster sat in the top of the stemcap

Cable (inner only) runs down steerer and emerges through a teensy little angled hole you have to drill yourself, keeping a smooth cable line now...!! Then wop on a straddle cable as close to the tyre as possible ( for optimum clearance between cable hanger + forks - you may have to grind a bit off the back of the hanger or add a drop of grease ) and setup as normal. You have to put a small kink in the last inch of inner cable as you push it down the steerer so it finds its way out through the hole easier

Looks neat, uses minimal cable, only hassle is getting hold of some canti lugs each time you change forks.

Thanks to g.french for the idea, lugs + welding over the years!!

bmxer4ever

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 11:16 PM »
WOW - that's an impressive mod. Never seen that before! Great set up and thanks for posting it.
Trust George to come up with that!
If you're in touch with him, tell 'im Gary Forsyth says Hi!

nosepickben

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2008, 02:01 PM »
are you gary forsyth?

thecrooch

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2008, 02:10 PM »
just to throw something else in the mix the Avid Magnesiums are a sweet running brake as well...

bmxer4ever

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2008, 06:01 PM »
are you gary forsyth?

That would be a "yes" !

bmxer4ever

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2008, 06:03 PM »
just to throw something else in the mix the Avid Magnesiums are a sweet running brake as well...

Dammit man - too many choices!!!!

nosepickben

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2008, 09:59 PM »

That would be a "yes" !

[/quote]

We've met.....
It was a sunny august morning in 1994 when our intrepid hero and his mk1 astra full of weary sheffielders arrived in southsea after a 9 hour drive (yeah, the car was overloaded + fooked + i took a wrong turn or 3)
After exchanging names with the first quartet of bmx'ers we met (strange coz it was about 6.30 in the morning when i spotted amos crossing the street alone in front of our car, he beckoned us across to yourselves..) Seconds later, i was bundled into the back of a transit van to sit on a pile of bikes with the rest of my group + amos, gogo and david frame. The new super-gang set out in search of a hot brekky and the rest of the sheffield boys who arrived the evening before us. We were told by the driver (yourself) that we were to give southsea a  "glaswegian welcome"  which amounted to hurling good natured abuse at passers-by and thumping the van ceiling as hard as we could. This was an exciting start to one of the best weekends of my life. Great weather, great riding, great substances (drugs are bad kids), shitting on bowling greens, comedy ejaculation etc etc...
Also, whenever i hear simon + garfunkels "scarborough fair" i think of you. Not sure why.......   :daumenhoch:

Trev

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2008, 12:18 AM »
 :LolLolLolLol: I always think of Gary whenever I hear Scarborough Fair.

In fact it was down to Gary that I ever took an interest in Simon & Garfunkel.  :knuppel2:  ;D

darkersomeday

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2008, 08:52 AM »
Ok, starts off here with short odyssey monolever, and a barrell adjuster sat in the top of the stemcap

Cable (inner only) runs down steerer and emerges through a teensy little angled hole you have to drill yourself, keeping a smooth cable line now...!! Then wop on a straddle cable as close to the tyre as possible ( for optimum clearance between cable hanger + forks - you may have to grind a bit off the back of the hanger or add a drop of grease ) and setup as normal. You have to put a small kink in the last inch of inner cable as you push it down the steerer so it finds its way out through the hole easier

Looks neat, uses minimal cable, only hassle is getting hold of some canti lugs each time you change forks.

Thanks to g.french for the idea, lugs + welding over the years!!

one of the best front brake mods i've ever come accross tbh,

george did me a pair the same years ago, i've often pondered asking him if he'd do me another pair but apparently alot of drill bits get snapped drilling the cable-exit hole,
such a neat brake though :smitten:

whats the frame ben? is it a custom from stu?

you still got that "1 DK?
i've NEVER seen another O/S bike being ridden like that in my life :LolLolLolLol:

SaMAlex

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2008, 09:52 AM »
I ran a canti on my front for ages. I used to put the cable outer to one side (like you do for a U brake on the front) and have the inner wire going all the way over to the pinchbolt on the on arm. Id bolt a canti anchor to the fork hole to guide the inner wire over the tire (I cant find a photo at the moment). It gave you more leverage than nosepickbens way, kinda like a V brake is better than a canti. I saw a few people doing the nosepickben way, I think Steve Geals Zimma forks came that way for a while. Its nice and neat but I didnt like the way you had to take the brake apart to remove the forks or stem (maybe Im wrong about that tho?).

The only reason I stopped using a canti on the front was cos I got fedup having to put the mounts on. I tried to build my curent bike totally "modification free" so I went with U brake mounts.

whats them?
You do a full 180 and land with your front wheel right on the lip or the coping with the back wheel as high as you dare, stall it, then hop straight in - awesome trick!
You're staring right down the transition once you stall it, or for extra style points, look up and wink at the crowd...! Heehee!

Canadian example 1:  Me at creation last week, the Canadian is 30 seconds in
/>

Canadian example 2: Nosepick Ben, I presume!
(thats me on the platform to the left)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 10:07 AM by S&MAlex »

nosepickben

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2008, 11:16 AM »

whats the frame ben? is it a custom from stu?

you still got that "1 DK?
i've NEVER seen another O/S bike being ridden like that in my life :LolLolLolLol:

Nope it's a sunday i was given, thanks g.

Yeah still got that bike i had set up white + gold, IN 2004/5 I MIGHT fookING ADD, funny how all n/s bikes were black or raw then, now look at the number of people on coloured/white stuff....  Not trying to say i started a trend, just pre-empted it.
It's since been restored to it's former racing-spec glory, i love that frame too much to risk another skatepark sesh on it.

bmxer4ever

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2008, 01:10 PM »

That would be a "yes" !

We've met.....
It was a sunny august morning in 1994 when our intrepid hero and his mk1 astra full of weary sheffielders arrived in southsea after a 9 hour drive (yeah, the car was overloaded + fooked + i took a wrong turn or 3)
After exchanging names with the first quartet of bmx'ers we met (strange coz it was about 6.30 in the morning when i spotted amos crossing the street alone in front of our car, he beckoned us across to yourselves..) Seconds later, i was bundled into the back of a transit van to sit on a pile of bikes with the rest of my group + amos, gogo and david frame. The new super-gang set out in search of a hot brekky and the rest of the sheffield boys who arrived the evening before us. We were told by the driver (yourself) that we were to give southsea a  "glaswegian welcome"  which amounted to hurling good natured abuse at passers-by and thumping the van ceiling as hard as we could. This was an exciting start to one of the best weekends of my life. Great weather, great riding, great substances (drugs are bad kids), shitting on bowling greens, comedy ejaculation etc etc...
Also, whenever i hear simon + garfunkels "scarborough fair" i think of you. Not sure why.......   
:daumenhoch:
[/quote]

That WAS a great weekend, first major comp I competed in for years - I nearly won K.o.C.! - (damn you David Frame!) - came third in Pro street, (footplanted the Pagoda off the spine!), bent 2 back wheels, 10th in Pro Flat (rode to Queen, Bicycle Race! Anyone got THAT on video?) and generally had a bit of a mad time! Not sure about the bowling greens or the comedy ejaculation though....(!)

360 to bent wheel.....

bmxer4ever

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2008, 01:16 PM »

whats them?
You do a full 180 and land with your front wheel right on the lip or the coping with the back wheel as high as you dare, stall it, then hop straight in - awesome trick!
You're staring right down the transition once you stall it, or for extra style points, look up and wink at the crowd...! Heehee!

Canadian example 1:  Me at creation last week, the Canadian is 30 seconds in
/>

Your 2nd nosepick is a perfect example Alex!

bmxer4ever

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2008, 01:21 PM »
:LolLolLolLol: I always think of Gary whenever I hear Scarborough Fair.

In fact it was down to Gary that I ever took an interest in Simon & Garfunkel.  :knuppel2:  ;D

Not sure if that's a claim to fame I want to be proud of(!).
Border TV messed up a bit on my music for that comp - there was supposed to be a 50/50 split from Sigue Sigue Sputnik into S&G, (can't remember why I thought that was a good idea), but they did it more like 20/80!
That wasn't a great run if I remember correctly.
Come to think of it - YOU must have that on video.....any chance of YouTubing it? Havn't seen it for years....

jedi

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2008, 03:10 PM »
i tried today for a bit but thought alex might show me tuesday   :4_17_5: :4_17_5:

bmxer4ever

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2008, 04:20 PM »
i tried today for a bit but thought alex might show me tuesday   :4_17_5: :4_17_5:

Go for it - they're a great trick. I need to practice them again myself. Best to try them on something that has a good kick to the transition - throws you up better. Let us know how you get on.
G

SaMAlex

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2008, 08:07 PM »

Go for it - they're a great trick. I need to practice them again myself. Best to try them on something that has a good kick to the transition - throws you up better. Let us know how you get on.
G

If we're still talking about canadians, I think of them more like a disaster than a nosepick, just that you land a bit higher and a bit further back. Try them way down, on the transitions and work up. As long as your brake works, and the ramp aint too slippy (or too steep) you will be able to work up to doing them right below the coping, then its just that last step

jedi

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2008, 09:08 PM »
feck that. thats do em at the coping! :daumenhoch:

subversion

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2008, 10:51 PM »
the 360 version is the sweetest trick ever :daumenhoch:

imho

christhejob

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2008, 10:21 AM »
nosepick ben are you ben from sheffield who went around with the carve lot?? black hair? rode a chrome GT early 90s?
haha
dating direct or something

twenty wolves chris shouting out the sheffield massive  (or something..  )

nosepickben

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2008, 07:22 PM »
yeah that's me. I've followed your bmx journalism with interest over the years, last saw you at southsea, probably 98/99 ish, how's will evans by the way? u still in touch with him?
I did my first handrail in a session at telford '92 with you guys, did it opposite as well then whacked my head on a street sign ducking under it. Remember you and george getting thrown out of mcdonalds ball pool......
One hell of a weekend to a 17 year old numpty like me. Keep it real.
See you at mk08 for some headers and volleys bwoyeee...!!   :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

christhejob

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2008, 08:57 AM »
yo ben!  we're all here now.
will is doing fine, got a standard in his cellar that never sees the light of day.. but we do get out mtbing when his gatefitting / being a dad schedule allows. 
make it mk09 for headers and volleys, ive got a wedding and southsea flat jam.. and i won't be walking let alone running/kicking/riding til september (achilles tendon snapped, doing pretty much headers and volleys, HA!)

word up!

nosepickben

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2008, 08:53 PM »
Shucks..
You were a bugger for being injured as i remember mate, probably those defective genes of yours.
I work every other weekend but i'm off for mk08, dates fell lovely. Just sortin out the race bike, found the matching shimano dx to an orphan i'd been saving  ;D well happy.
speak later Mr Job.

:) :) :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Brakes - recommendations please...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx