gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975561 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 13, 2024, 07:35 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Seat clamp problems
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Seat clamp problems  (Read 436 times)

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
Seat clamp problems
« on: August 27, 2008, 03:32 PM »
Guys, without fooking them up, whats the very best way of widening the seat clamps to get it on to your build? I have two seat clamps, one suntour and one tuf neck, but not quite fitting over and I don't want to get the rubber mallet to them as they would never come off!

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Matt  :daumenhoch:

thecrooch

Re: Seat clamp problems
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 04:01 PM »
remove the bolt place a 10p piece in the slot and then but bolt back screwing against the 10p - will widen the clamp for you... 

then whack it with the big jobbie!

JT71

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 04:15 PM »
I use a wooden wedge and a rubber mallet, place wedge pointy end up in your vice or workmate...don't tell me you done have a work mate.... then place the slot over the wedge and tap down with rubber mallet.

this should widen it enough for your use.

I've found the Tange type seat clamps to be a real bitch to get on, next to impossible if the paint is thick.

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 09:02 PM »
remove the bolt place a 10p piece in the slot and then but bolt back screwing against the 10p - will widen the clamp for you... 

Dont think this works with most seat clamps Si, as they have a nut and bolt. Works with stems that have a built in thread :daumenhoch:

I'd use JT71 method, have the wedge come up from underneath and towards the seat tube part of the seatclamp , if that makes sense :LolLolLolLol:

thecrooch

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 10:01 PM »

Dont think this works with most seat clamps Si, as they have a nut and bolt. Works with stems that have a built in thread :daumenhoch:

I'd use JT71 method, have the wedge come up from underneath and towards the seat tube part of the seatclamp , if that makes sense :LolLolLolLol:

yep you are right sorry was thinking of the last one i had to do that too which did have a thread.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Seat clamp problems

gfxgfx
gfx gfx