gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975563 Posts in 138924 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 16, 2024, 06:55 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Musselburgh BMX track
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Musselburgh BMX track  (Read 25231 times)

Fraser

Re: Musselburgh BMX track
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2008, 06:10 PM »
Hi Guys,

Just an updated on progress.

Spoke on the telephone today with Gary Houston of East Lothian Council. He is the Project Manager for the racecourse project which involves the redevelopment of the Musselburgh Track. We discussed the current plans and he told me that he followed the guidelines for a "Play Track" on http://www.bmxtrackbuilding.co.uk/.

After a lengthy discussion, he has agreed that they will build us a track to the specification of a "Regional" track! Great Success!!! :-)

He is now going back to the Architech to have new plans drawn up on a Regional Track basis. I will get to see these before it moves to build.

That's all for now. I'm delighted that we appear to be getting a proper track eventually :-)

Cheers,

Fraser...

Paulo

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 11:57 AM »
Good news Fraser. Well done. Fingers crossed.

harophil

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 12:04 AM »
Sounds great, a new regional spec track in Musselburgh.
Are the plans available online at East Lothian Planning? If so what is the planning application number.
I'm very local, East Edinburgh and willing to help out.

dj-paul-c

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 11:10 AM »
where is the old track located in relation to the race course and is the track still ridable ?

wouldnt mind a blast round the track and the plans for the new track sound promising

does anyone remember the old track at broomhouse ? was a sheil race track,used to go there a long time ago,theve now built houses over it

thanks for the help

Offline Gtbill

• Cherry Picker
  • To fast to go slow
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2008, 09:33 PM »
i used to go to that track 3 times a year  my dad trained  race horses and we would go to musselburgh for 3 days at a time as it was so far a way  so when i got into bmx i use to take my bike  to have some fun
Gtbill for all your watch and Jewellery needs

dj-paul-c

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2009, 03:06 PM »
any updates as to how things are progressing with buildinga new track ?

stevj

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2009, 10:44 PM »
Kev some one from Forres has been in touch about building in your old back yard.... :)

kevin rettie

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2009, 04:43 PM »
Kev some one from Forres has been in touch about building in your old back yard.... :)

Eh?

archboi

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2009, 11:19 PM »
HI Fraser/Kevin

Just wanted to add my support to the building of the new Musselburgh BMX track.The old one is now gone  :'( and the area where it was has been completely revampt for the new racecourse cafeteria and stable block...Doesn't look like there is much room left for a track.

Whats the latest updates?

kevin rettie

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2009, 04:14 PM »
Hi ian

Good to hear from you mate! All the old boys are coming out of the woodwork eh?

I'm not sure about what is happening at the track, Fraser has seen the plans and would probably be best for an update. I'm keen to get involved though if its still on the cards.

Maybe see you on Sunday if I can get accross.

Kevin

bigsman

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2009, 09:57 AM »
Was down there yesterday...not much to see apart from a lot of heavy machinery and piles of muck n stuff.  Anyone know what the deal is and when work is gonna start and it is due to complete etc?

Be good to see Muss back up n running again - its my closest track and I'm itching to get back into riding the bikes again  :daumenhoch:

Fraser

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2009, 07:59 PM »
Mr Archibald! Good to hear from you mate. Hope you're good :-)

I've just been down to the racecourse this evening and the track is underway!!! The council said that they would contact me for advice and comments but haven't done so (no surprises there). Anyway, they appear to have gone with the original plans that they had for a "Fun" track. It's really narrow - I'd guess about 3.5m wide. The jumps are massive and the doubles and triples would not be rollable! I've taken photos and will add them to my website shortly.

Maybe we could get some of the guys down to the track to take a look over it and then get back to the council with comments? Only problem I have is that I'm abroad this week so can't get involved. Ian, can you maybe take a look and pass some feedback to the council?

Cheers,

Fraser...

Fraser

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2009, 08:14 PM »
OK guys, photo's are here: http://www.interneting.co.uk/mussbmx/

Fraser...

archboi

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2009, 09:33 PM »
Hi Fraser

Doing well mate.Had no idea that this was under way.  :wtf:Got a phone call from Sean Boyle this evening who lives in Glenrothes and he came through for a look as he had seen the photos you posted.I was looking recently at the area and there was nothing there so cant believe its started .Looking at the pictures it looks not too bad but i will see for myself.i will go tomorrow before i start my back shift so will hopefully get to speak to someone working on it :daumenhoch:

speak soon.

Offline kuwahero

• Look Back
    • Western Titans
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2009, 09:59 PM »
are they trying to build dirt jumps or a bmx track :idiot2: I think we need to get in touch with them sooner rather than later.

ian let me know what you find out tomorrow. see you around noon to give you your bike.

archboi

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2009, 11:52 PM »
From the pics it looks well mental..will get a look for real tomorrow

New bike New track :D christmas has come early

See you tomorrow Mark

archboi

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2009, 03:08 PM »
Hi Fraser

Got to speak to the track designer today.He's called Sean and he's happy to change things to suit us and make the 1st straight wider.I'm going back to see him tomorrow with more ideas and track layouts etc...looking good. :daumenhoch:

kennyhunter6061

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2009, 10:44 PM »
Ian, You could maybe go onto the BC website and download the bmx rulebook.  There should also be guides on track specifications for National/Regional tracks, covering stuff like track width, distance to first jump etc.  The closer we can get to these specs the better the track will be to ride and race on.  If the guy building it is happy for us to help then let's do everything we can to get it right.  It really p*sses me off that councils seem to be happy throwing thousands of pounds on taxpayers money on a track without the input of an experienced bmx track builder or at least an experienced rider.  You'd think they'd want to get it right.  It's hard enough getting them to spend the cash in the first place, but then to risk wasting it is pretty disgraceful.

archboi

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2009, 11:54 AM »
Ok Kenny will do

Had some more pictures of the track but not sure how to load them on..

kevin rettie

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2009, 12:05 PM »
Bloody hell guys, just back off my holidays and cant believe its all started!!! Shame it looks more like dirt jumping and not so much racing but if we can catch it now and make it wider that would be great.

Iain, I'm, back home from Sunday if you need any help with meeting these guys on site to make changes. Let me know how things are going.

Kevin

harophil

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2009, 09:57 PM »
Popped down for a look the other night. Couldn't get a close look as i had my screaming baby son in the car, (driving about trying to get him to sleep!!) but  saw all of the mounds of dirt, thanks for putting the photo's up.
Suprised to see all of the new flats opposite, weren't there the last time I was down.

Looking forward to re-live my youth when its finished.

archboi

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2009, 02:54 PM »
Bloody hell guys, just back off my holidays and cant believe its all started!!! Shame it looks more like dirt jumping and not so much racing but if we can catch it now and make it wider that would be great.

Iain, I'm, back home from Sunday if you need any help with meeting these guys on site to make changes. Let me know how things are going.

Kevin

Hi Kev. Haven't been down today but guys on site are very approachable. Sean is the project engineer. Alec is the earth mover /jcb driver.
Had a talk with Sean yesterday and was advised that the architect Gary Houston (who i happen to know from my rugby playing days ) priced the track by looking at track design/build/cost/materials required etc from the web. He looked at National,Regional,and 'Fun' track costs and with the budget given decided that the 'Fun' track was the affordable option. I hope to speak to Gary soon to see what scope we have to maybe ask for a bit more funding if we go to him with a plan of how we would like to use it in the future. The local councillor is John Caldwell so might send him an e-mail also. The materials are coming from the excavations next to the track site so it is slightly limited but Sean says he will ask for as much as possible..Also being constructed are 102 horse stables,a cafe/restaraunt, golf starter hut and education center so there is a fair bit of development going on.

I am going to go back over the weekend but i'm working Monday and off on holiday to Turkey on Tuesday for a week.

Can you meet me on sunday?

Ian

kevin rettie

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2009, 11:21 PM »
Hi Iain

Could catch up on Sunday at the track, how you fixed in the morning as Im planning going down to Glentress to burn off some of my holiday excesses...

... say 11am? Let me know and I'll see you then.

archboi

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2009, 01:34 PM »
Ok mate

11am would be fine.See you then :daumenhoch:

Fraser

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2009, 06:00 PM »
Went down to the track again today. It's certainly taking shape. Spoke to the guy driving the JCB and he says that they will be moving the starting hill back about 4 meters so that it's not to close to the first jump. They've also filled in the doubles a little on the first straight. The triples are now doubles and are to be reshaped. They've got a really strange sort of "drop-off" thing happening that's on a slight corner? Never seen anything like it but I'm sure it will be interesting! Last straight has a technical section of 6 small whoops in a row - looks very smooth and simple.

Took the camera, so here is another gallery of the latest images: http://www.interneting.co.uk/mussbmx2/

Iain Archibald - Give me a call when you are back from your holidays. You can get me via my website: www.interneting.co.uk.

Cheers all...

Fraser.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Musselburgh BMX track

gfxgfx
gfx gfx