gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975573 Posts in 138925 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: 19sk80s May 22, 2024, 09:11 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Help with my first (BMX) build of Ammaco Team Sprint - any help appreciated !
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Help with my first (BMX) build of Ammaco Team Sprint - any help appreciated !  (Read 25199 times)

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:

Si, i'm certain the bottom ones (3rd) are alloy as I've had that style exactly in gold and red before. That's why that have that anodised look as they are alloy i'm sure.

Superbikedan can powder them in candy blue, to give them that anodised look :)

BTW, checked on the third ones, they are steel... they look pretty close to me.... oooo ponders ponders !  BTW, if I powder coat they wont look the same blue as annodized kit would or dia compes. How do they get that look ?

simonm

ahhh I C, ta matt..

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Si morning mate. Ok here are the parts I was talking about. These are 100% genuine ammaco bits. You can see that the stem is a copy of the suntour stem, but is flatter on top and the crank looks like a Mongoose crank (with the shape of the chainwheel etc..). If you want these let me know, will be a tenner + postage, cheap as chips  ;) Crank may need re-chroming but could polish up ok I guess, the chainwheel is in a good condition and the stem top could be painted Blue. I know they ain't big makes like suntour etc.. but at least they are genuine. Stem came off a Team Pro and the crank off the Team Sprint (the other one of mine which need a re-chrome unlike the one I sold to you... :) ).

Let me know...

Matt  :daumenhoch:

P.S. Green pedals were added as I rode it for a bit ;)

simonm

Hi mate,

Yeh, I'll take the Stem and cranks, there spot on m8.  Whats total price your after inc P&P ?

ta

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:

Ok mate, cool  ;) I think for the weight, I reckon about £20 in total would do it?

Let me know...

Thanks,

Hi mate,

Yeh, I'll take the Stem and cranks, there spot on m8.  Whats total price your after inc P&P ?

ta

simonm

yeh pretty heavy.  Whats your paypal again ?  will send ze fundz.. ta.

simonm

Cool, parts looking good. Learning as I go, must remember not to drink red wine then order a part that will "almost do" now i've got two handlebars that are no good ! O well, live and learn.

All I need now.. I think are brakes (someone may have some MX copies for me),  Seatpost, Seat guts, Chain,.....  and delivery of all the bits.. nice build project soon to commence.  Now how do I hide the bike from the Mrs when its done ?  I'm sure she'll notice a fourth bike in the garage !

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
Now how do I hide the bike from the Mrs when its done ? 

Carefully take all your boxes as they arrive up to the attic pretending that you are sorting out some old crap - then take your tools up there and build it  ;)

I've got shit loads up in my attic that she hasn't got a clue about  - i just keep the riders downstairs :LolLolLolLol:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

simonm

lmao !   attic...good idea   8)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
All I need now.. I think are brakes (someone may have some MX copies for me),  Seatpost

I think swiv ^^^^ has some blue DC 901's in one of his for sale post simon - no levers though  :(

And what kind of seatpost are you after - i'm sure i can find something for you - are you gonna ride this when it's done ?

simonm

Pads arrived this morning thanks to firebird... they are FANTASTIC !  look like NOS.

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Si those pads are amazing  :shocked:

simonm

o yes..tasty arnt they ! Picture doesnt do them justice either.

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
Yep - firebird is the master  :smitten:

simonm

*turns on Irish accent* to be sure, to be sure, tou'ght I'd bring de up t'date with me build... looking good bejesush dont ye tink ?

mmm, hope I've not offended anyone  ;) got carried away staring at the front...forgot to look at the back of the frame  ;D
Honest, I've built my last 10 or more mountain bikes this was just a iccle slip in concentration !

BTW,  As I've never built a BMX before.  Is this right on the steerer tube ? There is quite a gap between the top screw cap and the lower bit...

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
I'd like to see you ride that Si  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

As for the gap mate i guess it depends on the length of the steerer tube on yer forks - you could cut it  :shocked: :shocked: but have you definitely put all the parts of the headset on ? i.e. the bearing race on the forks before you inserted them into the headset tube and the locking washer with the little nobble in it before you put the locknut on ?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 06:22 PM by bobafett »

simonm

yeh, Crown race is on. But the washer (you can see) is above the lock ring at the moment, thats still going to leave about 5mm of thread exposed. Is that normal ?

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
yeh, Crown race is on. But the washer (you can see) is above the lock ring at the moment, thats still going to leave about 5mm of thread exposed. Is that normal ?

Not on any of me geese matey - all the lock nuts tighten right down - no tube thread showing. If you definitely have the bearing race on the forks then maybe the forks you've chosen just have a steerer tube thats too long for your headtube / headset arrangement - get your hacksaw out  :-X

simonm

mmmm, will see what swivel says, frame and fork came together from him but I'm not sure if he ever had them together.

ta.

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Si something don't look right here mate, are you sure all of the components of the headset went on? Never seen that where there is thread showing, looks like something is missing? Is the headset a cheapo from halfords or tange/tioga? In any case, it should all fit together nicely without any thread showing...  ???

Also from looking up closely there, looks like the cups could do with being wacked in a bit more also Si ;)

Speak soon!

simonm

Will check tonight, I was rushing a bit to be honest (hence the upside down frame)...   Whacking cups in ! I've got a nice peice of threaded rod with nuts and washers on to insert my cups  :D

Yeh, its a cheepo headset.

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Si try a piece of wood and give them a good belt or rubber mallet, I use both of those to get the cups in ok.

:daumenhoch:

simonm

Copy brakes sorted

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
Copy brakes sorted

Must be pretty close to having all of your bits for the build now eh Si ?

When are we gonna see some pics matey :coolsmiley:

simonm

yeh, front brake cable....and a few bits and bats and where there.  Was hoping to have a bit of time at the weekend...unless I get my lard ass out riding (like I should be doing)...

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Help with my first (BMX) build of Ammaco Team Sprint - any help appreciated !

gfxgfx
gfx gfx