gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975608 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 16, 2024, 12:44 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  New Brakes?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New Brakes?  (Read 1596 times)

TEXASPETE

New Brakes?
« on: January 24, 2006, 11:50 AM »

Just on the look out for some new brakes…  just of searching the net the two which keep coming up are the odyssey evolver and Shimano Deore V Brake… and there’s a big difference in price… I’ve got an 04 mongoose villain with standard brakes and there pretty poo…. I’ve changed my cables to Teflon ones which has made a difference but I want them better ;)

What do you lot use? Is there a out and out best?

Pete
 :D

theRuler

Re: New Brakes?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 11:53 AM »
i use dia compe hombres myself

tektros will do though

you can spend a lot, or a little on brakes but it dont count for shit if they are not set up right

setup is paramount.

the standard mongoose brakes are pretty lame (i presume you have "u brakes") but once set up properly they should work ok.

TEXASPETE

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 12:26 PM »
Cheers for you’re reply I’m sure this questions been done to death…. I think its got tektros on at the minute and yeah there u brakes….  So what kind of brakes are these odyssey evolver? And you’re dia compe hombres?

Pete

theRuler

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 12:53 PM »
Cheers for you’re reply I’m sure this questions been done to death…. I think its got tektros on at the minute and yeah there u brakes….  So what kind of brakes are these odyssey evolver? And you’re dia compe hombres?

Pete

your tektro ones should work fine
tektro make ok brakes
they arent the standard mongoose brakes i was thinking of.

get em set up right and they should do you.

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 01:05 PM »
Pete - I run the evolvers and they are awesome and look the nuts, but over twice the price of the delores or the dia comp hombres...

If you've got the pockets go for the evolvers...if not grab the Dia Compes and save the money!

The Ruler is right, set up is absolutley key get it right and you won't notice the difference between 'em.

theRuler

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 01:36 PM »
me davedordy and philoberon proved this at bones last week

daves unbranded generic ubrake worked better than phil's top dollar oddy (i think?) brake

took phils brake completely off, and rebuilt it and still couldnt get it to work right
if anything, it was too chunky

get the springs tensioned right

once its all on and dialled in, get the pads in the right place.
a good way to do this is: slacken the nuts so they are loose, grip the brake hard so they are tight on the rim, then do em up. that way you know they are in the right spot (as they can adjust all ways)

nothing beats a good ubrake.
v brakes are sharper, but they are a bit too sharp. and they can feel flimsy
good as a rear on a race bike though.

my pk ripper (daily rider) has a vbrake on the back. if i could find someone competant enough to do it, i'd get the v mounts shifted so i can use a ubrake.

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 01:47 PM »
Ody "A's" on my Supercross 24 , it's HOT

Pauls also , goin' on my 20"

TEXASPETE

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 02:36 PM »
Hmmm…. Yeah.. I’ll have another mess about with my setup.. think I’ve got it pretty good though really.. the stoppin power is nothing like what it is on my mountain bike. I am tempted with some new ones I’ll see what tonight brings… :)

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 06:54 PM »
Has anyone mentioned that Evolvers (U-Brake) and V-Brakes go on totally different brake mounting lugs. You cannot fit V-Brakes on a bike that is supposed to have U-brake because the pivot points are on different sides in relation to the rim. V-Brakes pivot from a position within the diameter of the wheel, whereas U-Brakes pivot outisde the rim.

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 07:26 PM »
Changed my rear hombre to a fly and the difference is amazing. I thought that the hombre was good but I`d bought a fly because it sat lower on the brake mounts, then got a new frame anyway  :idiot2:

Only put the fly on because I`d bought it, but its superb, and I think it is basically the same as an evolver except its more expensive and says fly on it  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

theRuler

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 07:29 PM »
i have a hombre on the front and it is stop-on-a-dime
that said it does flex a little
but my bike is quite light, so i dont need much more braking power

there was a kid at bones last week and he had a trails style hyraulic brake on his GT. that had some gusto

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 07:31 PM »
Yeah, Evolvers are the nuts. I have tried a Primo E-brake as well, but the Evolver is better and can be set up so well, even feather light with no problem.

I have toyd with the idea of putting a Hydraulic Magura rim brake on my Azusa cruiser....just for kicks. I have  a Shimano XTR V brake on it at the m and that works fine.

silentpartner

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 07:43 PM »
the deore is basicaly a race break, and i'm fairly correct in saying that this won't fit your street bike, the evolver i believe needs a special lever to complement them. what sort of rims are you running?, if their black, then this could be the reason for not working correctly with your currrent set up. try running chrome rims, and you'll be surprised at the difference. also use a softer rubber brake block.  :daumenhoch:

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 08:32 PM »
Evolvers don't need a special lever, although all V-brakes do. Before you go spending any money, try stripping the brake down. Make sure you use a small amount of grease on the brake boss to ensure good pivoting. Oil the cable and grease the nipple where it goes into the lever. Take the brake pads off and make sure they are not greasy. Use rough sand paper or a clean file and rough the braking surface of the pad up. Before re-installing them, make sure your rims are free of dirt/dust/grease. When installing the pads try to get them toed in. This is where you set tem up so that the leading edge touches the rim first. The easiest way to do this is to put a flat elastic band around the trailing edge of the pad. Hold the pad against the rim and tighten up. When you remove the band the front edge of the pad should contact the rim 1st.

spinmaster

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 08:45 PM »
i run a fly rear brake and its the nuts, everything bill says it does.

wirewheel

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 11:21 PM »

dont touch a dia-compe ad990

the brake blocks are beyond frustrating to set up, possible but a pain. the hombre is the one for the money. tektro are really good brake too for the money i nicked a tektro u brake off a magna screamer (a horrible jjb attempt of a bmx) and it was really good and gold. the best u brake is debatable as set up right they all should work really well.
i have an old shimano u brake that is self centering.
 in the early 90s all you could get was 990s or a shimano if you could find one, i was lucky
good luck with the set up if you dont get how to set the springs get someone who knows to show you

TEXASPETE

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2006, 11:02 AM »
Cheers for all you’re replies…

cheers sanmarcopizza I had a look at my v-brakes on my mtb and scratched my head for a bit wondering if they’d fit LOL :D …  yeah had another mess around with them last night, roughed up the surface on the wheel like silentpartner said, I think the black surface was stopping the pads from griping… so that helped a bit…  but the best improvement was putting some mtb pads on, just a set I had knocking around.. it made a huge difference.. so that’s another question what pads do you lot all go for?

Wirewheel.. what do the springs adjust? Ive not seen any spring adjustments on them?

O yeah I’ll try toeing them in tonight as well..

Pete
 :D :D

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2006, 11:21 AM »
yeah, what pads do people recommend?

here is a pic of an eveolver seein as i have it copied already....
I want to touch ORB

TEXASPETE

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2006, 11:29 AM »
So are they evolver pads as well as the evolver brakes? 

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2006, 11:53 AM »
Evolvers come with a set, and the pads are good. You can buy them aftermarket, think they are 2x4 & 4x4's. The 4's are for fat rim sections.

theRuler

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2006, 11:55 AM »
phil if the pads that come with are good maybe it's your cable that's at fault
something is making it peform badly

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2006, 11:57 AM »
pads ave been sanded too. im just gonna try some others, and get some better rims cos mine are fow.
I want to touch ORB

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2006, 11:58 AM »
cable is linear slick so that should be ok. i reckon its the coke.
I want to touch ORB

theRuler

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2006, 12:00 PM »
the brake felt too stiff

Sanmarcopizza

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2006, 12:49 PM »
something is making it peform badly
Yeah, the operator.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  New Brakes?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx