gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975601 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 10, 2024, 11:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  A cracking night
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: A cracking night  (Read 25073 times)

PaulM

Re: A cracking night
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2009, 07:10 PM »
Just my opinion but could have happened from it being thrown or just crashed really badly? Only the owner will really know, I know ANY frame can crack or break at the headtube (seen so many) but as mentioned if the guy was happy with it then there should be no problems with getting a replacement.

Mine has been completly fine and I cant fault it, cheers for the smooth comments by the way ;)

Cheers

Paul

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2009, 08:00 PM »
Everything that I`ve ever broken, and thats a fair few bits, is because I`ve chucked the bike when I feel I`m out of control, thats when the bike gets stressed in places it wouldn`t through riding alone.

I`ve got an Evolution and I`m well pleased with it, and I`m pleased that Dibly has done well because he`s a top bloke imo  :daumenhoch:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2009, 09:52 PM »
yeah gotta agree with paul and bill on this one, paul is a super smooth rider but a couple of weeks back

i was on the top of the vert at corby, a 14ft vert, i was filming paul when he missed his trick and dropped to

almost flat bottom, so he was roughly 8ft out plus the 14ft so that's a 22ft drop, no probs with the frame at all,

any part will break, profile cranks are the worry for me and that's profile, the biggest name out there :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 09:55 PM by SuperBikeDan »
For powder coating drop me a pm

moley

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2009, 10:58 PM »
Dibly has done the correct testing and used all sorts of techniques to check the welds and tubing (such as xray etc, etc)

He had problems with his prototype frames but then again thats what a prototype is for!!

He's made the changes to his full production model and it looks to be going alright!!  :daumenhoch:

If you want a bike that will never break under any circumstances then it would probably look like a steam roller and you wouldn't be able to pedal it!!

.................And you could still push it over a cliff and it would be fooked!!

Everything breaks, its a fact of life!!

This lad might be upset it broke sooner rather than later.   But luck plays a big part in all our lifes!!

Hopefully his replacement will last him a lot longer!!  :daumenhoch:

Do 'proper' riders check their rides often?

I'd also be interested to know if Dibly does any checks on frames that are returned and what his findings are!!  ???

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 08:26 AM »
yeah gotta agree with paul and bill on this one, paul is a super smooth rider but a couple of weeks back

i was on the top of the vert at corby, a 14ft vert, i was filming paul when he missed his trick and dropped to

almost flat bottom, so he was roughly 8ft out plus the 14ft so that's a 22ft drop, no probs with the frame at all,

any part will break, profile cranks are the worry for me and that's profile, the biggest name out there :daumenhoch:

profile do seem to be making some shite

Sean 2000

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2009, 10:48 AM »
From what ive been hearing, Mark Webb is breaking them for fun on a weekly basis.

The way i see it, people like S&M, Standard, T1 etc etc have been building frames and developing techniques over a very long period of time.
And if they have come to the conclusion that 5lb is about as light as you can go without compromising strength then i am inclined to agree with them.

And to be honest, how light does a bike really need to be, my Proper is around the 26lb mark (with a frnt brake and Heavy forks) and thats plenty light enough for me.
My frame weighs about 5.6lb, for the sake of a pound i would rather have confidence in what i am riding thanks.

lodge

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2009, 11:43 AM »
I cant understand the huge emphasis on a frames weight when theres so little between them, you can save the excess weight of a frame by changing your tyres or other components if weights a big issue.

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2009, 03:13 PM »
The main reason weight has become an issue to me now is because my back is so fooked I just can't throw a heavy bike round like I used to be able to. So if I was a sisters jeans wearing super fit whippet like most of them are, it wouldn't matter to me. But as I am now then the lighter the better. I'm also not going to be riding mega hard these days so I tend not to worry about the strength too much as long as I'm happy with it.

However....the other point to consider is things do brake, they always have done! We've all snapped cranks, frames, wheels etc. They're not indestructible, even the beefy mid school stuff broke occasionally. Think of the hammer these things take. Not just through riding but when slamming, that's the worst.

I think it's been said already but had this been another manufacturers frame would this post even be running??

Just my ten bobs worth!

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

teamsano

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2009, 10:32 PM »
Lifetime warranty is a good reassurance of confidence really  :)

what a lot of flannel.

honestly, anyone who judges a product by the guarantee offered is a complete MUG.

i'm bringing out forks made from tinfoil next week, but they have a lifetime guarantee, who's gonna buy a set?

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2009, 10:46 PM »

what a lot of flannel.

honestly, anyone who judges a product by the guarantee offered is a complete MUG.

i'm bringing out forks made from tinfoil next week, but they have a lifetime guarantee, who's gonna buy a set?

yep really good point, i would love to see didbly give his reply to all these posts, i for one really want didly to sort these

problems out and have a succesfull bmx brand, i've seen most of his products and they look so kool and all the riders i know

who own his products have had no probs at all, how many big companys have had to recall products, it's in the papers quite a lot lately,

i strongly believe that ukbikeco is the future once the teething problems are sorted :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

DJ

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2009, 09:15 AM »
Gordon, will these be solid or tubular tin foil forks? Either way I'll order 2 sets!

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2009, 09:47 AM »

what a lot of flannel.

Hey sorry  dude  :)  :angel:

Just backing up  for a good guy ( Dibly), who isn't here yet  :angel:

Lifetime has got to be better than 12 months manufactures warranty  ,,,no ?  :)

If a product is TOTALLY new , then surely NO- ONE  knows the longevity  or reliability of any said product ,,, clued up people like yourself and mugs  included  :)

Yeah generally ,guarantees cover you for normal use and not for thrashing

So if it's a manufacturers fault , you're covered .  :)

I buy products , if they tick all the boxes I want from a product  ,, the guarantee bit is just an extra bonus , I suppose  ;)

I don't usually buy the latest thing out , alot of the time I buy through recommendation from others i.e tried and tested

due to not wanting to look like a right MUG   ;D

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 09:54 AM by Hunterdubber »

lodge

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2009, 10:36 AM »
Warrantys mean nothing in my experience, i have attempted to claim under warranty on shed loads of MTB parts but when you read the small print theres disclaimers all over it, not to be used for stunt riding, jumping, off road etc. what are MTB's for FFS was always my argument you dont see much tarmac up a mountain.

teamsano

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2009, 11:21 AM »

If a product is TOTALLY new , then surely NO- ONE  knows the longevity  or reliability of any said product ,,, clued up people like yourself and mugs  included  :)

and thats what prototyping is for.

i sincerely wish mr dibbly all the best with his company, and i'm sure he'll get over these teething probs.

i just get so angry when people believe everything they read on the internet.

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2009, 11:42 AM »
Right, is it me or are we talking about one frame that has cracked and judging a brand by it.

Now new school aint my thing, but bikes are. You can crack snap ding any bike in the world regardless of how much you weigh, its how you treat it that causes damage. If there are many cases of UKBIKE frames being suspect then maybe a thread questioning the brand would be justified, but if im reading this right one bike ???.
I snapped a alloy perimeter frame on a 97 honda 125, i was sure it wouldnt have happened on a steel cage frame, I was wrong and they have went on to change the mx industry's thinking on mx frames.

Give UK  Bike a break ffs, until their is at least any evidence they are truly suspect. Dibly has got it right, lifetime guarantee is confidence, seems like typical brand bashing for no other reason than new kid on the block syndrome  :idiot2:   

Offline WARDY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2009, 12:05 PM »
Right, is it me or are we talking about one frame that has cracked and judging a brand by it.

Now new school aint my thing, but bikes are. You can crack snap ding any bike in the world regardless of how much you weigh, its how you treat it that causes damage. If there are many cases of UKBIKE frames being suspect then maybe a thread questioning the brand would be justified, but if im reading this right one bike ???.
I snapped a alloy perimeter frame on a 97 honda 125, i was sure it wouldnt have happened on a steel cage frame, I was wrong and they have went on to change the mx industry's thinking on mx frames.

Give UK  Bike a break ffs, until their is at least any evidence they are truly suspect. Dibly has got it right, lifetime guarantee is confidence, seems like typical brand bashing for no other reason than new kid on the block syndrome  :idiot2:   

you snapped a raleigh bomber in 89 ya big b,stard :LolLolLolLol:

oldschool rider

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2009, 02:39 PM »
I personally think that the UK bikes are well made (Judging by bmxer4ever's) welds look sweet, frame is light, very well put together in my opinion.  :daumenhoch:

How many frames have they sold ?

How many have you heard that have broke ?

BITD when Haro were the dogs bollocks how many Masters & Sports snapped at the seattube, but everybody still loved them and rode them !!!!

I think in the UK people just love to put the new guy down, I say give them a chance to prove themselves coz I think they have a great product which looks different to all the other frames on the market, It would have been easy for them to make a frame that looks & weighs the same as everybody elses does but I say WELL DONE GUYS for breaking the boring mold that everyone else is in.

This is also a British company that you should all be backing not slagging Give them a chance F F S.

:Great_Britain:UK Bikes :Great_Britain:

dialledbikes

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2009, 09:22 AM »
I don't really wanna get too embroiled in this debate cos if I stick up for Dibly/UK Bikes, it'll look like I'm sticking up for another "industry guy" and if I say owt against him/UK Bikes it'll look like I'm dissing another company.

However, no bike is indestructible and most frames that break are a result of crash damage not "just riding" (though I accept crashing is part and parcel of riding).

People who buy these new wave light weight frames should do so with open eyes and accept that a sub-4lb frame is not going to be as durable or last as long as a 5lb frame.  In the main, they'll be fine for most people as they probably don't shred as hard as they think they do (hence the "mines been fine" comments).  But the real shredders (and the unlucky slammers) will eventually expire these light frames.

Who else has snapped/cracked a frame recently?  What brand was it?  I think if people are gonna point the finger at 1 broken UK Bike, it should be in perspective.  Would the pic have been posted if it had been an S&M or Standard?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 09:24 AM by mike@dialledbikes »

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2009, 05:21 PM »
Webby do  you think Darren will speak to you  next time he sees you  :D

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2009, 06:58 PM »
Webby do  you think Darren will speak to you  next time he sees you  :D

Probably not...  :LolLolLolLol:

Although i dont see why not theres nowt personal on this thread.... I bought my son a UK Evolution frame and he's chuffed to bits with it, he's not put off in the slightest that one of his mates has broke his

I dont think people are gonna be selling their frames cos ive put pics up of one broken UK frame on one forum...  :D

And they're still selling like hot cakes at the local bike shop

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2009, 07:01 PM »
He told me he thinks you smell of wee
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

streetjudge

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2009, 11:07 AM »
it isn't just one frame - I have seen 4 of the low versions of the frame all broken within a few weeks of getting them

its no good just coming out with light parts and getting people excited just for the stuff to break straight away

dialledbikes

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2009, 09:35 AM »
it isn't just one frame - I have seen 4 of the low versions of the frame all broken within a few weeks of getting them

its no good just coming out with light parts and getting people excited just for the stuff to break straight away

I think it was Keith Bontrager who said "Cheap, strong, light.  Choose two".

I'm not really into this "lightweight" arms race that most BMX companies seem to be involved in these days.  When I design a frame the main thing is that it won't break easily and the weight is what it is.

dibly

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2009, 03:42 PM »
Hi sorry for my delay in getting to all you guys with this thread,

yes the frame has cracked and yes it is on the weld, it is most certainly covered by warranty and i gutted for the lad but he has new frame now

as also said in this thread it is not the tube that has broken it is on the weld, the guy from the shop who sold it has seen it and rang me up and said it was just a shit weld, i have sold in the UK and across Europe close to 1000 units and i have had 3 returned to me the one in this thread, one from germany with the brake bosses not straight and one from the netherlands with no thread in the seat clamp,

i was at probably the biggest bmx shop in the UK yesterday and they had 3 frames going back for inspection to other companies with cracks etc but there isnt a 4 page thread about them is there? strange

any way thanks for all your comments etc

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2009, 05:06 PM »
Sorted, we do seem to like brand bashing on here dont we  :-[

I think that if you looked at the bike trade as a whole (or any other for that matter) you would be amazed at the amount of stuff that gets returned and doesn't generate any interest, it just gets replaced, I send stuff back to Shimano regularly, and not just their entry level kit either, the tried and tested stuff and you know what it gets replaced with the customer happy in 99.9% of cases cos it can and does happen. It is replaced quickly and normal service is resumed.

Dibly has responded in a proffessional way and with dignity, which is to be applauded given the way some have reacted in this thread.

:Great_Britain:  :daumenhoch:

Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  A cracking night

gfxgfx
gfx gfx