gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975544 Posts in 138921 Topics by 6347 Members - Latest Member: Paulo2 May 07, 2024, 01:19 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Riding Brakeless, For or Against
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Riding Brakeless, For or Against  (Read 7632 times)

darkersomeday

Re: Riding Brakeless, For or Against
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2009, 02:20 PM »
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yOb-YEd2hdA

check moliterno in the minivan,

who's riding though? gonz?

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2009, 03:36 PM »
couple of kids at rom today riding brakeless ones been riding 3 weeks
had micro front gearing and 16 rear lol
other two had no brakes either one was good other not
but both crashed big style lol
 i said if ya had pulled ya brake you wouldnt of crashed

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2009, 06:52 PM »
I took my brake off 2 years ago as an experiment because of brake tourettes!, i got fed up pulling it in an air or approaching a quarter and would end up talking to myself annoyed after pulling it!

i spent a couple of weeks riding my local park when it was empty to get used to it, it didnt take that long and it was so much more fun. Give it a try you might enjoy it, plus relearning ice pics, tyre taps etc is fun and makes them easy if you decide to put your brake back on.
I really try hard not to stick my foot  on the tyre, you dont really need to stop that way you can depump or skid or just plan where you are going better in the park

i can see why everyone gets fed up with brakeless riders, all the young kids copy and do it and they have no idea how to control a bike, let alone one without a brake

theres a lot of negativity on here towards brakeless riders, its obviously not for everyone, at the end of the day riding is about having fun and curently i find having not to think about pulling on a lever more fun (except if riding dirt, then it goes back on :LolLolLolLol:)

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2009, 06:57 PM »
i think its the inexperienced most are on about  ,plus your just mad anyway   ;)

Bushwacked

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2009, 07:29 PM »
I think for bike handling its a great thing to do and when I am less shite than I am now I will be tempted (perhaps), but in a crowded skatepark with people of all abilities then it could lead to accidents, especially for those who are new to park ettiquette or have no ability on what is the ettiquette.

rarman1

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2009, 09:44 PM »

I think good brakeless riders are just awesome to watch so much flow and the rate of progression is incredible.
I dont think any riders should start out brakeless or go brakeless untill they have a high level of ability such as being able to manual consistently without touching their brake

completely agree as most of the good brakeless riders i've had a chat with have all run a brake and were good before they took the brake off

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2009, 10:01 PM »
This debate will run and run....

I've a lot of admiration for the young un's that ride brakeless and are good with it, some of em progress in leaps and bounds without brakes but there are always the few that are just copying their mates and are proper sketchy... an accident waiting to happen...  :shocked:

A couple of  brakeless riders at interact...

Agreed they need a brake to start with then take it off when they feel confident enough to do without

bmxer4ever

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2009, 08:49 PM »
I've held off talking about this, 'cos I felt I didn't really have enough experience to comment, but the more I've thought about it, and the more recent vids I've watched, I've developed an appreciation for no brakes.

For me, the best thing about (good) brakeless riders is what they can do on the front wheel.
Watched the Levi's DVD a few times and there's one of the dudes (excuse me for not remembering who!) who hang fives this massive ledge, must be over 100 feet long, at full speed (cos he can't dab a brake) -  truly amazing -  and some of the front wheel manuals are brilliant too.

I can see how brakeless will make you better - more flow is one thing - but the front wheel balance is just awesome.
Personally I'm not sure if the look of a brakeless bike is better or not, but the skill levels it produces get my vote.
Since I've got a spare bike at the mo, I might just give it a go....

Lets face it, I doubt if there's one of us on here that hasn't ridden brakeless at some point in our lives, it just that, like me, most of us have got brake biased riding hardwired into our brains and bodies, and that's the real problem for older riders, not whether it's 'cool' or not....

G

bmxer4ever

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2009, 08:50 PM »
I think they're all silly young boys  ::)

I'm a grumpy old man so I say what I like and I like what I say  ::)

Still think 'nose picks' look better with a brake though!

Daz.

Ian Morris: rode since the 80's took his brakes off last year mmmmmmmmm silly young boys eh

What's this....is this 'Get at Daz week!'

Daz.  :knuppel2:

Damn right........BALDY!  :LolLolLolLol:

lodge

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2009, 09:18 PM »

When did you think you would have gained enough experience to comment Gaz ,when you had been riding 30 years hehe.
Some valid points dude, Its Nathan Williams that does that crazy hang five the speed is frightning to watch.

Just to let you know Baldy is now running plastic pedals he's so new school  :LolLolLolLol:

Reckon we should sort a brakeless oldies meet, imagine the carnage. if you got brakes your not coming in!

bmxer4ever

« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2009, 09:24 PM »

When did you think you would have gained enough experience to comment Gaz ,when you had been riding 30 years hehe.
Some valid points dude, Its Nathan Williams that does that crazy hang five the speed is frightning to watch.

Just to let you know Baldy is now running plastic pedals he's so new school  :LolLolLolLol:

Reckon we should sort a brakeless oldies meet, imagine the carnage. if you got brakes your not coming in!

Haha! I meant I didn't have enough experience of riding brakeless! I usually like to comment on things I've actually done....  >:D

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2009, 09:32 PM »
I think they're all silly young boys  ::)

I'm a grumpy old man so I say what I like and I like what I say  ::)

Still think 'nose picks' look better with a brake though!

Daz.

Ian Morris: rode since the 80's took his brakes off last year mmmmmmmmm silly young boys eh

What's this....is this 'Get at Daz week!'

Daz.  :knuppel2:

Damn right........BALDY!  :LolLolLolLol:

They've been keeping it up Gaz while you've been away dude  :LolLolLolLol:

I might just do an old school brakeless meet!  >:D

Daz.
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

jedi

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2009, 09:33 PM »
fook that!

lodge

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2009, 09:50 PM »
fook that!

brakeless northshore then   :LolLolLolLol:

jedi

« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2009, 10:12 PM »
no fookin way!!!!! i'd die

bmxer4ever

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2009, 10:50 PM »
I'll do it - no problem.
Although I may also die. :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2009, 11:06 PM »
I'll do it - no problem.

Gary....go to bed  ::)
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

bmxer4ever

« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2009, 11:36 PM »
I'll do it - no problem.

Gary....go to bed  ::)

Stopped ya moanin' didn't it?

Goodnight all.....

lodge

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2009, 02:45 PM »
 :wtf: not one comment on chase hawk's riding in the vid link i put up, i'm guessing your all speechless.  :-X

bmxer4ever

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2009, 01:48 PM »
:wtf: not one comment on chase hawk's riding in the vid link i put up, i'm guessing your all speechless.  :-X

Was gonna comment, but was told to go to bed.....

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2009, 01:57 PM »

Awesome dude...  :daumenhoch:

From the vans uk tour dvd, should have been more footage of him shredding the bowl at unit 23

http://video.mpora.com/watch/9JySiSUDA/

On the subject of brakes/no brakes my lad had a collision with someone at interact on wednesday night, both of em were ok but it would have been a shitesight worse if either of em had no brakes...  :shocked:

bmxer4ever

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2009, 08:13 PM »
Yes - he's good, OK? You happy now...? Hmmmm??!

Broggie

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2009, 10:56 AM »
Every bike I've ever had has been fitted with brakes, I've only got one bike with a single brake and that's because it wasn't supplied with the other one.
I am used to having two brakes, or at least brakes and have no wish to go brakeless, partly due to what I'm used to and partly due to fear.
If someone wants to go brakeless then fine, but they clear their own mess up when they crash...if they crash into someone as a result of having no brakes and get the shit kicked out of them, then tough, I have no sympathy.

If person is not in full control of their bike, or skilled enough to ride brakeless safely then I would suggest, brakes might help.

And for those who go brakeless because everyone else does without regard for the consequences, I suggest a new trend to go Bikeless as well as brainless  :daumenhoch:

Ray.

bmxer4ever

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2009, 10:09 PM »
Every bike I've ever had has been fitted with brakes, I've only got one bike with a single brake and that's because it wasn't supplied with the other one.
I am used to having two brakes, or at least brakes and have no wish to go brakeless, partly due to what I'm used to and partly due to fear.
If someone wants to go brakeless then fine, but they clear their own mess up when they crash...if they crash into someone as a result of having no brakes and get the shit kicked out of them, then tough, I have no sympathy.

If person is not in full control of their bike, or skilled enough to ride brakeless safely then I would suggest, brakes might help.

And for those who go brakeless because everyone else does without regard for the consequences, I suggest a new trend to go Bikeless as well as brainless  :daumenhoch:

Ray.

:LolLolLolLol:

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2009, 10:24 PM »
on a safety point of view, i would say unless you take your bike to the place to be ridden in the back of a car it's a definate no. 2 lads round here on mat black bikes with dark clothing fly around without the ability to stop at all in the dark. I have nearly mowed down a granny swerving to miss the skinny fookers and they have nearly mowed me down at the end of my own garden path. It will be sad to hear about one being flattened by a bus or something.
ding dong

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Riding Brakeless, For or Against

gfxgfx
gfx gfx