gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975601 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 09, 2024, 09:31 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  80s or a con?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 80s or a con?  (Read 1214 times)

GavinKent

80s or a con?
« on: March 15, 2009, 09:14 PM »
I'm still trying to work out where all this new 80s stock has come from and where it was all stored all those years.  Take my Aero Reflex, which is supposedly 1984ish - how do we know the same moulds aren't used now to make these frames, to then be marketed as original 80s stock - and loads of other stuff that we all want?  It seems a very easy thing to do, and when there is money to be made, there are usually people out there rushing to rip us off.     

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: 80s or a con?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 09:20 PM »
I'm still trying to work out where all this new 80s stock has come from and where it was all stored all those years.  Take my Aero Reflex, which is supposedly 1984ish - how do we know the same moulds aren't used now to make these frames, to then be marketed as original 80s stock - and loads of other stuff that we all want?  It seems a very easy thing to do, and when there is money to be made, there are usually people out there rushing to rip us off.     

..a knock off Reflex :2funny:
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

GavinKent

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 09:23 PM »
okay, fair point actually!!  but what about knock off expensive ones then!!!

sweetbeats

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 09:26 PM »
I think there are good repops out there on parts take aerospeeds for e.g,but not come across copies of parts sold as orig or bikes...maybe I aint been looking hard enough  :LolLolLolLol: have you come across any examples or copy bikes?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 09:30 PM by sweetbeats™ »

moanjam

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 09:36 PM »
love owt like this me

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 09:37 PM »
Kuwahara ET or is it...
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 09:44 PM »
Some people have been around long enough to tell the difference between the reproduction and the original stuff.   :daumenhoch:

GavinKent

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 09:47 PM »
I don't think you guys would be fooled, but muppets like me I think would be fooled again and again!  I keep jumping in and buying these bits blindly.

sweetbeats

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 09:49 PM »
Have you bought anything that you think is a copy like a frameset or a part?be interesting to know?

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 09:50 PM »
its a bloody mine field,you just pray to god that when you part with your hard earned dosh that its the real deal your getting!!!
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

GavinKent

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 09:54 PM »
I don't think I've bought anything dodgy, but I'm still new to this (since a kid in 80s) and have this horrible feeling that when I'm sitting on the sofa looking lovingly at my half built bike like I had when I was a kid, it was actually made by some dodgy git last year!!  Perhaps I'm worrying too much.  If it ain't all original stuff from when I was a kid, it'd totally lose its magic and point.   

moanjam

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 09:55 PM »
sell it while you can !!

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 10:01 PM »
The best way to tell is by looking at this stuff, if it's rusty and shagged looking it's probably old. If it's nice and shiny and no ones bidding on it then it's probably crap.

Offline JAY

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 11:14 PM »
You can always ask on here for advice before you buy..........

nosepickben

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 02:38 AM »
There was lots of "copy" stuff about in the 80's, cw bars, mushroom grips , dia compe brakes etc, just off the top of my head. All fairly easy to spot if you know enough about 'em. Regarding retro building old stuff, I just can't see the point, profits would be incredibly slim unless you manufacture in huge numbers which I can't honestly see anyone being bothered enough to do, plus the more units, the less interest + subsequent value. There will possibly be the odd "one off" made by an enthusiast of a particular part/brand for themselves but unless there is serious engineering talent combined with sparetime + inclination then it just wouldn't be worth it. I have access to an adjustable frame jig + a genius welder for a drinking buddy but getting small quantities of specific tubing to do just a couple of replica frames for instance would be a pain in the ass, cost over £100 for a frames-worth of tube (even if bought in relative bulk) 4 hours labour to make it, then coating/chroming costs....
May do a retro frame replica for myself one day, made a few over the last 5 years to have as a "main" bike - now consigned to history, but it's not exactly high up the list of priorities. Now, making a frame for the honda v-four engine + fzr frontend i have sounds like fun..........  ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 03:09 AM by nosepickben »

GavinKent

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 05:54 PM »
Well, knowing my luck, I've been buying the copy stuff made back in the 80s!!   :D  I still can't work out where this seemingly endless supply of NOS is coming from, though  :idiot2:

etriedes

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 06:37 PM »
Some people find it in old bike shops that have stuff stored away in boxes ( old stock that never sold ), Then there's also people who buy the nos stuff but never use it and just sell it as nos again ( usually for a profit ),
 There was a guy recently who found a box full of hutch pedals, all in the original packing case from the 80's ( lucky barstard ) 

But like nosepickben said, To reproduce a frame would be alot of work and alot of money..
if i was going to reproduce summit i'd prolly do something like some expencive bars, jmc or summit like that, less tubing and less labour and less to chrome and more money to be made.

I'd be more worried about buying stuff that was broken and being repaired badly and not mentioned in the sale

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  80s or a con?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx